Am I obligated to run? (Read 693 times)

Coach

I live in a small community and tomorrow is our "days". The whole parade and fireman's breakfast etc. There is a 5K run in the morning. I don't like the course, or the t-shirts and it doesn't fit into my training but I feel somewhat obligated to support the local charity supporting the race. I would much rather go on a long run by myself than have a bunch of 11 year olds out sprint me for the first 100 yards and the quit in exhaustion. Any suggestions? http://essentialhistory.blogspot.com/
    My Blog: http://jbcoaching.blogspot.com/ Marathons run: S.F., Boston, St. George, M. of Aviation, Salt Lake City Ultra's run: Big Horn, Squaw Peak, Lean Horse,
    Scout7

Do what ever you want.

Run the race God set B4U

Did you ever think you may actually inspire someone, 5K's are supposed to be fun, so I'd say go do it!!!! Be a sport Wink & have fun!!!!
        5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
        JakeKnight

Go volunteer. Win-win for everybody.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

go ahead and skip the run. no one need know you are a runner. you do have to eat the pancakes however. that's the rule.

??
              Go Daddy

Small town > everybody knows everybody > most people probably have seen you running > Tina may be right, people may be looking for you to be there. It is totally your choice but you may make a bigger stink by not being there. You could support the community, run with your locals and make the 5k the first three miles of your long run. Don't stop at the finish line ...unless you win something ...or there is free beer and pizza.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fool

The gorilla is wise... at least compared to me. Do it for the Gipper!
                  Hannibal Granite

I live in a small community and tomorrow is our "days". The whole parade and fireman's breakfast etc. There is a 5K run in the morning. I don't like the course, or the t-shirts and it doesn't fit into my training but I feel somewhat obligated to support the local charity supporting the race. I would much rather go on a long run by myself than have a bunch of 11 year olds out sprint me for the first 100 yards and the quit in exhaustion. Any suggestions? http://essentialhistory.blogspot.com/
                    Unless you are a professional runner and you support your family by running in races and your title sponsor says "run in this race or your contract won't be renewed" then you are in no way obligated to run in this race. That being said be a good role model for those in your community and volunteer.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Agreed...
                      Mr R

5K's are supposed to be fun
                        Why didn't anybody tell me this 5 years ago?

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

JimR

'course you're not obligated. That should be obvious. Me, personally (as if there's any other way of referencing 'me'), I'd do it, simply because it's once a year, it's local, the orgs would love to see all the local runners there and it gives the chance to run with all the others who've been training those same routes, same days, same conditions. A kind of yearly celebration that doesn't involve a lot of unfamiliar faces like the bigger or away races would. Or, as someone said, go volunteer. I just think if you didn't involve yourself in it somehow, you'd be feeling like you missed something, and others might think you snubbed it.
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Crush the enemy. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentation of their women. MTA: go ahead and run it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

The local RA simian got this one right. Go help and run later.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/