Question for ING NYC Marathon Vets (Read 445 times)

lesliek

Hi - I just submitted my application for this year's ING NYC Marathon. This is my first time to apply so I figure I won't get in, but I wanted to apply so that hopefully at the latest, in 3-4 years I'll be accepted. Anyway, my question relates not to running it or even to training for it, but rather to when to reserve a hotel. I started wondering whether it will be too late to get a hotel reservation when they do the lottery in June. On the off-hand chance I get accepted, will I be too late to make a reservation then, or should I go ahead and make one now and just cancel it if I don't get in? Thanks in advance for any replies! Leslie
    VictorN

I could be wrong, but I believe that NYC has its fair share of hotels. :-) Seriously, I haven't ever had a problem booking a hotel room well after I got my acceptance notice. They reserve a good number of hotel rooms just for marathoners, but you can frequently find better deals at other hotels. Unless you are determined to stay in some small boutique hotel, you should be fine. Victor notice.

#artbydmcbride

I reserved a room well after the lottery results came out. I also booked a hotel on Staten Island. That way I didn't have to get up long before dawn to get to the start area before they closed the bridge, or crammed everyone on the ferry, and then wait for hours freezing for the race to start. I got up, had breakfast and took the hotel shuttle to the start line at 8 am and was in plenty of time for the race. Smile I did have to take the subway back to the ferry terminal afterwards, but I was in no hurry then anyway.

Runners run

My $.02 - reserve early and ask questions later. Most hotels have an liberal cancellation policy.
          MM# 1477