Another new runner! (Read 570 times)

Me and the boys

Hello there. Little back ground, right? Past lurker on CR, and found this site shortly after the fall out (YAY!! Awesome site!), 31 yo, Married mom of 2 boys (almost 10 yo & 7 months). Ran off and on since grade school, sports including softball, soccer, and wakeboarding. Ran solid for 2005 and most of '06. Got pregnant late '06, right after running my first 10 mile race (after multiple 5Ks and one 5 mile). Had to stop due to complications, and gained weight. Started again 10/07, and it felt so fantastic to get back on the road!! Weather has been sketchy this winter, so DH and I bought a dreadmill, and I have to say, I love being able to run without having to worry about the weather. Boredom isnt so bad (yet). Another perk, is with the two boys, and DH working nights, no need to worry about timing. And he is starting to run too! Weight is coming off but I still have 40-50# to go from here. (currently 5'9" and 209#). So, I just wanted to say HELLO!! I have lurked here for 2 months, and everyone is so amazing! I have gathered a wealth of information from a lot of wonderful posts. I do have a question though, that I have never figured out, regarding my body build. The longer I run, rather than "leaning out", my Quads (is that the right one? the big one on the front outside edge of my thigh) really seem to bulk up. The more weight I lose, will that eventually thin out, or is just the way my body is built? Even when I was thinner, they still seemed really bulky. Any ideas? Thanks everyone! and HELLO!
    -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
      Welcome to RA, akborn! Congrats on getting back into running! As you say, this is truly a great group. Glad to have you with us. I only started running in Nov. '07, so I can't advise on your physiology question. I'm sure there are experts here that will be glad to share their experience. (Don't forget to check out the User Groups, there's probably a weight loss group. I joined the Mile A Day, 10k, and HM training groups). Good luck with your training! Paul
      milkbaby

Some people are just genetically predisposed to building up certain parts of their body more easily. If you haven't been working out for a while and then started up again, then maybe you will build up your quads some, but in general they will only get so large with running alone. We don't have the luxury of choosing our biological parents, so these are things we have to live with. When I used to be a gym rat and did all those leg presses and extensions I got thighs that looked like the Incredible Hulk (I am a guy), but now that I don't do those thingsand mostly run my quads are way smaller. It is possible your quads will lean out some over time from running if some of the bulk is from fat instead of muscle so they'll thin out some. Getting started is always the hardest part, so congrats on re-starting your running!
        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
        Ringmaster

I don't have any answers either, just wanted to say, Yay for you, Misty! I'm a mom too, (4 yo girl and 2yo boy) and can totally relate to just being so thankful for getting some miles under your feet! Here's to many injury-free miles--and congratulations on those adorable boys! Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a big-thighed girl. When I lose weight I lose it everywhere, but I can also put on a lot of muscle on my thighs and they are still proportionately pretty solid. DH also has big legs, so our kid is doomed...he has long skinny legs, now, but I did as a little kid, too--damned puberty! Wink Nice to have you here, Misty. Check out our weight loss board, too. It's a supportive bunch of folks who give kicks in the pants when they are needed. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Me and the boys

WOW!! Thanks everyone! Kirsten-Actually, I have joined the RA Running for Weight Loss group, and the 1000 mile group as well. I joined a month into the year, so I have a lot to run to catch up to that darn pace bunny, but I'm coming for him with a vengence (a slow and steady vengence!)! Blush Karina-your "pumpkin" is precious too!! Its interesting having them so far apart in age, but its going well. I think we are going to try later this year for the next one, so the two younger ones will be a lot closer in age. How are yours being 4 and 2? They get along fairly well? Milkbaby-Yes, genetically, the worlds are against me, I suppose. My family isnt really a thin bunch, but muscle tone is not a problem. I did used to work out at the gym a lot (close to 10 years ago, I guess?) so I know what you mean about Incredible Hulk! Leg pressing 280# at my highest point (was training for a body building comp, but didnt finish). My quads didnt really go away much. When I ran consistantly, they tighten some, but still seem really bulky. Hopefully like you said, when more of the fat is burned off, they will lean out. Paul-You are my new idol!! a HM in Sept? Only 10 months after starting running? That's awesome! Good Luck! and a 10K in May! I did a 12K in 2001, the Bay to Breakers in San Francisco. It is a super crazy race, with flying tortillas at the starting line. I think it was more of a party, but there was plenty of really inspiring runners too. Congratulations to you as well for getting after it!
              -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
                Paul-You are my new idol!!
                Wow! I'm finally someone's idol! Big grin A seriously nice thing to say. We'll see if my old bodybuilding bones will hold up under the stress of running (did one BB competition and 1 loss--in 1976 Blush). Paul