2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

The Thunder

When I come back...it will be scary. 

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

@bzaganjo - ur PR's indicate a definite sub 3 capability.. how many marathons have you run?.. I'm tempted to say you are sub 2:50 guy with the right build up. welcome aboard the PR train!!

@gilbert.. Chicago is supposed to have ideal weather next year! I imagine you will be running down Mich Ave with time to spare Smile

Hope so, starting the training next week, have had enough time off since my last Marathon

And I have run 5, 1 really well and the other crappy.

Wow - I go away for a few days and look what happens to the sub-3 thread!!

Still, while I'm not sure how much I learned, it has made for an entertaining Monday's reading Big grin

joescott

Yeah, you know watching Jeff and Spaniel tangle in this forum is kinda like wandering into the gym and the only two guys who can both bench press more than 400# are going after each other while the rest of us 98-pound weaklings watch in horror.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Are we there yet?

When I come back...it will be scary. 

for the first 20 miles... Joking

Feeling the growl again

for the first 20 miles... Joking

BAM.

Thunder takes a lot of crap but I respect his willingness to go for what have (at least recently) been aggressive, but not irrational, goals.  I knew a guy who wanted to qualify for the Olympic Trials and could have hit the old 2:22 standard in his sleep (mid-29 10K runner), but he thought he had the potential to run in the 2:16-2:18 range (and probably had the POTENTIAL) so he always went for that regardless of where his training was.  He ended up missing 2 Trials and living with a 2:27 PR.  He'd typically blow up around 13-18 miles, 2-3 times a year for several years.  THAT is irrational.

My own PR is minutes slower than what I could have run had I managed my goals/races differently a couple times.  I own that outcome.  People have different goals and sometimes chasing them requires some quite aggressive actions.  It's a little late but I'll accept the incremental improvements now.

If he blows up again though  I have some great "land the plane" photos archived, just in case.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

So Thunder = Tin Cup. Cool.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

Thunder's goals were aggressive but not irrational.  Unfortunately his race execution at Baystate was another matter.

Runners run

Hey guys. Hope everyone is running well. Ran a 1:27:37 at vegas for the half. That was what I was hoping for. Still planning on a spring marathon. I will be focusing on more mileage in the 60-70 mpw range. I know I still have quite a bit of work to go but considering I ran a 10k in august at 6:40 pace I am pleased with my half time.

Hey guys. Hope everyone is running well. Ran a 1:27:37 at vegas for the half. That was what I was hoping for. Still planning on a spring marathon. I will be focusing on more mileage in the 60-70 mpw range. I know I still have quite a bit of work to go but considering I ran a 10k in august at 6:40 pace I am pleased with my half time.

Very nice Smile

Handy web page that summarises various prediction methods. (I put  25... might make a difference for the age grading prediction, so plug the correct age in.)

Average prediction: 2:52:21

Thanks.  I'm still in the sub 30 age group and it doesn't seem to care what age we are.  

Apparently there's a three year span from 32 - 35 where an increase in age = decrease in time.  Then at 36, you get old...

Are we there yet?

Thanks DB for your volunteer duties all year..

Ran a significant HM today and WON! Rain must have kept the fast guys in bed.  1:21:35 PR on a hilly course. Cool

Look out JoeScott.. I'm coming after you in beantown!

joescott

Hey, ChakaKahn, I ain't skeered of you yet!

16:59.4 5k today dodging 300 walkers on the second lap.....  

(Nice race -- you are gaining ground on 2:50 real fast).

- Joe

bhearn

Thanks DB for your volunteer duties all year..

Ran a significant HM today and WON! Rain must have kept the fast guys in bed.  1:21:35 PR on a hilly course. Cool

Wow! Congratulations.

joescott

1:21:35 PR on a hilly course. Cool

P.S., amigo, nice race report in your training log also.  Great day for you, serious congratulations.

- Joe