2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

spinach

Congratulations to Ben and Candice for winning the Paavo Nurmi Marathon this year.  This is Ben's 5th or 6th consecutive win for the race.  Unfortunately my hamstring gave out again on Monday and I had to miss the race this year.  Maybe next year I will be able to stay within a minute a mile of Ben the way I was able to two years ago.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Way to go Ben and Candice.  Candice, I believe this is your first marathon win and I think this was 6 in a row at Paavo Nurmi for Ben.  Simply incredible!!!

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
      The days of my youth are far behind
      My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
      Can't hear one-half that's being said
      And this is the message I want you to get
      I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Congratulations to Ben and Candice for winning the Paavo Nurmi Marathon this year.  This is Ben's 5th or 6th consecutive win for the race.  Unfortunately my hamstring gave out again on Monday and I had to miss the race this year.  Maybe next year I will be able to stay within a minute a mile of Ben the way I was able to two years ago.

wow, congrats all around.

This sets up well in the marathon buildup, huh?

Get off my porch

Thanks guys!! Smile

spinach, sorry to hear about your hamstring! The Paavo hills certainly wouldn't have gone easy on it! I know my hamstrings are still screaming.

Don- yep it was my first marathon win! Definitely exciting. And you are correct, it was Bens 6th in a row.

Oldman- exactly! I sort of trained through and didn't set it up as a goal race....still looking toward NYC as the PR attempt.

Did another one of Hudson's fun workout today.  Warmup + 3 miles accelerating from MP to 5k pace + Cool down. 

Legs were a bit tired from last Sat's race and last Sun's 18 miler.  Yesterday, I also did 13+ miles in doubles.  So, I couldn't really get to 5k pace at the end.  I only managed a bit faster than 10k in the last 0.5 miles or so.

Total: 10.37 miles

For the 3 mile multi-threshold run:

Mile 1: 6:48

Mile 2: 6:36

Mile 3: 6:27

Planning to run 4+ miles slow in the evening.

Last week was a low mileage week for me for a couple of reasons.  I was hoping to do better in a hilly 5 miler.  And I have been running pretty good mileage last couple of months and may need a break. 

I didn't do as well in the 5 miler race.  I should have caught up with my last year's shape by now.  However, there were a couple of reasons I ran slower this year.  First was a strategic error.  I thought about either taking it easy in the 2.5 mile moderate uphill and then charge up the really steep 0.5 mile, or charge up the first 2.5 mile and walk the 0.5 mile steep hill.

I must have a mental error.  I ended up doing taking it easy for the 2.5 miles moderate hill and walk the 0.5 mile very steep hill.  By the time I reached the summit, it was too late to catchup.  The downhill was windy and on dirt.  So, it was really easy to fall and crash, which I almost did while chasing who I believe to be the leading lady at a U-turn.  Lost a few seconds there while getting myself back to the trail.

Also, the weather turned out to be warm for Northern California.  I was a bit upset with the result so I pushed a bit harder on the 18 miler on Sun, even though legs were still a bit tired from the race the previous day.

Mon:

Recovery am: 7.68 miles @9:23 / mile

Tue:
              1-2-3-2-1-2-3 minutes @ 5k pace, same time for recovery in between: Total: 8.87 miles @ avg 8:12/mile

Wed:
              Slow MLR: 10.59 miles @ 8:45 / mile

Fri:
              Recovery: 5.04 miles @ 9:11 / mile

Sat:
              Warm up: 3.2 miles @ 9:10 / mile
              5 miles hill race: 36:50
              Cool down: 3.11 miles @ 9:46 / mile

Sun

LR: 17.73 miles @ 8:06 / mile

Total: 61.22 miles (98.524k)

I had a good week.

The PAUSATF XC series start this week.  My goal is to run better than last year and also be a bit faster than my friendly nemesis.  I accomplished both without tapering much and still had over 80 miles.  So, the race didn't derail my training for the 10k and the 1/2 in 6 weeks.

The XC race was fun.  It was 2 mile uphill and 2 mile downhill.  Weather was cool enough.  But it was so foggy that it was drizzling like it was raining.  So, the dirt trail was a little wet.  But overall, no compliants on the conditions.  Last year, I ran out of gas in the last 1/2 mile.  So, this year, I wanted to make sure I saved some gas and be very conservative on the uphill.

Interestingly, when I checked the splits, I was almost exactly the same as last year for the first 2 miles but a bit faster on the last 2.  And I was able to withstand a charge from my friendly nemesis in the last 50 yards

Mon:
                Recovery am: 7.71 miles @9:36 / mile
                Recovery pm: 5.62 miles @9:22 / mile

Tue:
                3 mile multi-thresholds from MP to 5k pace: Total 10.37 miles @8:07 mile
                splits: 6:48, 6:36, 6:27

Recovery pm: 4.11 miles @9:23 / mile

Wed:
                Recovery 1: 5.81 miles @ 9:16 / mile
                Recovery 2: 6.22 miles @ 9:10 / mile

Thu:
                Recovery: 7.71 miles @9:09 / mile

Fri:
                Recovery: 4.23 miles @ 9:11 / mile

Sat:
                Warm up: 3.29 miles @ 9:36 / mile
                Santa Cruz Cross Country race: 4 miles in 27:02
                Cool down: 2.96 miles @ 10:09 / mile

Sun

LR: 20.07 miles @ 8:08 / mile

Total: 82.1 miles (132.127k)

DoppleBock

Game on ... Time to start training for Monkey

Current weight = 223

Current estimated Monkey course time = 3:15

Monkey Goal weight = 183

Weeks to race 12

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

gilbertlemieux

Hey Clive, can you change me to the Philly marathon?  I never signed up for Chicago, but hadn't picked my race til now.  Not much time to make the goal if I don't go sub-3:00 in Philly...

HermosaBoy

Game on ... Time to start training for Monkey

Current weight = 223

Current estimated Monkey course time = 3:15

Monkey Goal weight = 183

Weeks to race 12

That's a lot of weight to lose there DB...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

4 weeks into my training and my resting heart rate this morning was 37. Progress is being made.

Don't ever remember it being that low. But, then I don't usually wear the heart rate monitor.

Get off my porch

DoppleBock

sadly beer is gone from my list of approved foods and beverages 

That's a lot of weight to lose there DB...

I'm a no go on New York.... Getting married instead. Big grin

It'll be going for sub 3:00 at the beginning of 2012.  Doing a 12 week stretch of short distance speedwork before launching into full marathon prep.

HermosaBoy

sadly beer is gone from my list of approved foods and beverages 

Well, at least you didn't scratch the pork rinds!

Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

I have done many diets though the years - Pork rinds only fit well into the atkins diet - I have found 80% of the diets (including) atkins diet work if you follow them to the T.  But, I went back to the count calories - Net in Vs net out a long time ago - Becuase when I get my weight to where I want, I do not "Go off" anything - I just try and balance net in vs net out.

The only thing weird I do is take hals cough drops as an appetite supressant - Or maybe a munchy killer.

Well, at least you didn't scratch the pork rinds!

Wink