2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

DoppleBock

Funny in marathons up to 4,000 people - I seem able to find dead spots - I think 4 different times in a 2000-4000 person marathon - I look ahead and see no one for at least 1/2 mile and can see no one - I have that ugly feeling and question - "Am I On Course?"

Yes there are 30 people ahead of me - But I can not see any of them. Each time it has been mile 18-23 running 2:55-3:00 pace.

**I'm 45. there's always somebody in front of me.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Are we there yet?

If you are running Boston next year and not yet in the underground private super-hidden elite ultra-cool training forum. Message me for login and password.

DoppleBock

I continue to enjoy just training - Training to get better - faster - stronger ... not training for a race.  That being said - I should be in good enough shape for Monkey in @ 5 weeks to break 3.  That course bitch slapped me last year.  I have never broken 3 at Monkey - So that would be nice.

My weekly training is pretty much

1 - LAT workout ... Anything from 20 minutes @ LAT to 5x2 miles.  I think I will through a 9-10 mile Tempo run somewhere

2 - 4-5x5 minutes @ CV (30 minute race pace)

3 - 1 hilly run or lots-o-hills repeats - not fast - just grinding them out

4 - Trying to get leg turnover - some striders - some fast finishes (1 mile FF) to easy runs

I also would like to get one more 30+ mile run in October.  This is just for general training - Trying to stay in tough with my ultra-side.

The thing I am not trying to do is 160+ mile weeks.  It might happen in December or next year when I do a 40+ miler on the weekend - But that is not the goal.  The goal is better - faster - stronger.

My typical M.O. is to fall out of shape until sometime in January and then struggle all spring to get into shape.  This year the goal is to take what I started in September and slowly roll into top shape by May - Training patiently and intelligently.

I'm 7 weeks out and finally ran my first run over 20 miles, 21.8 according to the garmin. Training is going well, but still haven't raced. Still stuck around 70 miles per week. Don't see the 80 mile weeks happening.

Very few sub 3's at the monkey, less than 2 most years. That course has beat up lots of folks.

Get off my porch

DoppleBock

Is racing crucial pre-marathon for you?

I can see doing 5k-10k prep races for a goal 5k-10k - Nothing like feeling the race burn and it seems to take 2-4 to get it right.  I am not so sure with a marathon.  I know people like to have "Fitness Tests" but when you have been running marathons for a few years you should be able to tell from workouts what shape you are in.

I am not trying to poke at you - It is an honest question ...

Monkey - Year # 1 I lost , but it was a good fight.  Year #2 The Monkey had its way with me.  Year #3 ???

I'm 7 weeks out and finally ran my first run over 20 miles, 21.8 according to the garmin. Training is going well, but still haven't raced. Still stuck around 70 miles per week. Don't see the 80 mile weeks happening.

Very few sub 3's at the monkey, less than 2 most years. That course has beat up lots of folks.

Is racing crucial pre-marathon for you?

No.

Actually did run a half marathon 2 weeks ago as part of a 18 mile training run. I was able to run with discipline and not race. Only went sub marathon pace in the last 3-4 miles. It was tough to hold back in the early miles, but it sure felt great to have gas in the tank to pass folks all the way home. Almost felt bad passing the 2nd place female in the last quarter mile. Amazing the feeling passing versus being the one being passed. 

One day I'd like to take some revenge on the monkey.

Get off my porch

I also would like to get one more 30+ mile run in October.  This is just for general training - Trying to stay in tough with my ultra-side.

I like this plan.  I would like to be in good enough shape that I could run a decent 50 miler if one came up out of the blue.  What I struggle with is trying to balance wanting to run more 50s next year with wanting to see if I could break the 2:50 barrier.  I'm not sure I'll be successful if I try to do both. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be signing up for New York next year since the guaranteed entry times are going down to 2:45 for open in 2013...

DoppleBock

I would focus on the marathon training - Just add one nice long one each month when it fits.  Long being anything 30+ miles or 4+ hours.

I like this plan.  I would like to be in good enough shape that I could run a decent 50 miler if one came up out of the blue.  What I struggle with is trying to balance wanting to run more 50s next year with wanting to see if I could break the 2:50 barrier.  I'm not sure I'll be successful if I try to do both. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be signing up for New York next year since the guaranteed entry times are going down to 2:45 for open in 2013...

spinach

I had hoped to try to break three in the On the Road for Education marathon this week but I have been fighting injuries all year and so I decided not to run it.  I will hit 55 next year and I think my chances of breaking three again are pretty slim.  I still hope I can run sub 3:05 to qualify as an age group elite in the Twin Cities Marathon but I think my days my day of breaking three are   is past.

Good luck to you all.

DoppleBock

I would agree that breaking 3 @ 55 is special - But you can definately do it if you can train injury free ... You probably can not train like a 40 year old any more - Must be smarter!

Sorry to hear about continued injuries 

I had hoped to try to break three in the On the Road for Education marathon this week but I have been fighting injuries all year and so I decided not to run it.  I will hit 55 next year and I think my chances of breaking three again are pretty slim.  I still hope I can run sub 3:05 to qualify as an age group elite in the Twin Cities Marathon but I think my days my day of breaking three are   is past.

Good luck to you all.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Good luck to you all.

Bummer to hear about the continuing injuries.  Here's hoping that things improve in 2012 and you get that sub-3:00 again.  Take care of those injuries and keep at it!

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                        The days of my youth are far behind
                        My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                        Can't hear one-half that's being said
                        And this is the message I want you to get
                        I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Are we there yet?

Good luck to you all.

Disagree. Me thinks you have one left.

Impact& sport adventurer

Hi all, There are 10 or so of us running ING NYC Marathon. Looking forward to it!

Hope to bump into you at the start or near the finish. I'll be wearing a black Grassroot Soccer shirt with SOJO on the back of it.

PBs: 1 mile - 4:59 (2008) 5k - 17:34 (2011) 10k - 37:40 (2011 in Blenheim Half), 21k - 1:21:32 (2011 Blenheim) 42.2k - 2:59:24 (NYC 2011), Ironman - 10:28:43 (2010 Hawaii)

2011 Goals: Olympic Tri - 2h05min (2h09min), 5k: 17:30 (17:34) 10k: 37:00 (did not attempt), 21km: 1:21:00 (1:21:32), 42.2: 2:59:59 (2:59:24)

Sorry. This is false information.

The least amount of people to go sub 3 have been 3. And that was 2007 and 2009. The rest of the years more than 3 people ran sub 3's.

Okay, so the beating folks up part is true Smile

Feeling the growl again

Given my >>3hr time due to cramping at Boston and not running a fall marathon due to lack of conditioning, I did not think I'd post a sub-3 this year.  However I saw my Garmin click over to 26.2 miles in the low 2:59s during my 50-mile attempt this morning.  The course markers said I had passed 26.2 a couple minutes before that, so either way I did manage to log a sub-3 in 2010.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills