2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

No luck at Richmond for me.  I missed way too much training this summer.  I'm actually pretty happy with my 3:34:12.  Time to reload and try again next year.

No Talent Drips

I think I'm done with marathon for the year...2011 in review makes me very happy:

<colgroup><col span="2" width="65" /> </colgroup>
      2:54:38 Boston
      2:54:54 Sugarloaf
      2:50:49 Wineglass
      3:04:47 MDI
      2:58:44 NYC
      2:56:46 Avg 2011

My PR (from 2006) prior to this year was 2:56:44...so my average this year for 5 was just 2 seconds slower.  Kind of a break through year.  Thanks RA!

Dei Gratia

gilbertlemieux

Well, no luck: 3:03:02.  I'm actually pretty happy considering the circumstances.  Found out today at the doctor I have been running for the past five weeks on a tibial stress fracture -- I guessed as much based on the pain, but vowed to take ibuprofen and not look too far into it until after the race.  My log details the extent to which my training volume took a hit: went from 60ish mile weeks to 30ish; there's no good way to overcome that.  Still managed a BQ, which I'm happy about.  Now, 4 weeks of the bone stimulator, no running, and I'll be hopefully be back for an attempt early in 2012.

Are we there yet?

http://www.internetretailer.com/mobile/2011/02/03/let-me-buy-you-cup-coffeeonline-course Clive what's ur email? Id like to buy u a cup of joe

Checking in one last time. Attempt this weekend at Rocket City. No excuses, going into the race. Training has been decent. Didn't quite get the mileage I wanted, but pretty darn close. To chicken sh*t to race in the buildup to guage my fitness.

Get off my porch

xhristopher

So, those who achieved the goal are "graduates." How bout those of us that flunked? 

Held back - Repeating the grade - 5th year seniors - Nonsuccesses?

Are we there yet?

Ha! Ran a 3:00:05 at Kiawah Island. Missed the goal but edged out Zola Budd in the latter part.. race report here.

A quick shout out to kencamet who ran the Cal Marathon a week ago in 2:54:07 for a 1 second PR! (He didn't post his marathon goal/race here but has been a big contributor to the sub 3 threads over the years).

This was also his 6th sub three in a row (not including a 'training run' marathon) - nice streak there ken!

kcam

A quick shout out to kencamet who ran the Cal Marathon a week ago in 2:54:07 for a 1 second PR! (He didn't post his marathon goal/race here but has been a big contributor to the sub 3 threads over the years).

This was also his 6th sub three in a row (not including a 'training run' marathon) - nice streak there ken!

Thanks Robin.  I didn't post on the thread because I needed to see if I could run a sub-3 marathon without the motivation of having it in black and white on the thread!

It turned out to be the perfect weather day on a fast course which was good enough for probably 2 minutes off my time.  There were a lot of people going for OTQs there - I think 8 men and 24 women made it.  There was actually a "2.46" pace group set up for the women - tempting but I'm not that stupid!  Here's a shot a friend of mine took of the 2:46 pace group at around mile 10 (a lot of guys in there along for the ride), looks like a random club out for a group run!

2:46 Pace Group

congrats on the sub 2:55 and the PR!

That's a cool picture. That's a pretty big pack.

Get off my porch

Nice job kencamet.  Son does that mean you won't be doing Napa?

Very nice Ken!  Six sub 3's in a row is pretty damn impressive, not to mention consistent as hell!

kcam

Nice job kencamet.  Son does that mean you won't be doing Napa?

No Napa for me, although I'm thinking about running the El Paso marathon on Feb 5th.  El Paso's my hometown and I haven't been back to visit since my Mom passed away several years ago.  The course is MASSIVELY downhill (starts at about 5050feet and finishes at about 3500feet in elevatiion with the vast majority of that in the first 5 miles.  How rinky-dink is this marathon?  1.  last year's overall winning time was a 2:59 something (no prize money for you cherry-pickers out there), 2. There are three races (1/2, Full and a 5K).  The official course map for the 5K actually labels the 5K as a "5K Marathon"!   I should feel right at home as I am about as rinky-dink as they come.  Chances are maybe 2 to 1 that I'll actually plan this trip and run it.  If I do, I may try to go 2:50 on that DH course which will require a major asterisk if I actually achieved that time.  In the meantime I'll be running DOWN some mountains beginning in January!