2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

Feeling the growl again

Now we are talking about what it takes to run under 2:30, not what it takes to run under 3 hours. See, you are changing the terms of the conversation in order to disagree with me, when actually in my initial post I said The Same Thing.

Sometimes I don't get you.

I would and did not differentiate between 2:30 and 3 on this, that is an assumption on your part.  I only used myself as a convenient example and purposely left the time out. 

You made absolutely no qualification that you meant sub-8 only on easy runs, you said there was NO TRAINING PURPOSE to going under 8 more than once or twice per week.  Frankly I don't think you meant it that way or you would have phrased it differently, you are more succinct with your thoughts than that, and your personal training reflects your original statement.

I have better things to do than manufacture disagreements with people on the internet I have never met.  I purposely use the kid gloves with you as you do not handle opinions that differ from yours well.  Frankly the repeated drama is quite irritating. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Runner A: proven marathoner, PR 2:28, average pace over last training cycle: 6:40, mpw 50-60, result 2:44 (6:20 pace)

Runner B: proven marathoner, PR 2:38, avg pace over last training cycle 7:15, mpw 80-90, result 2:35 (5:57 pace)

This sums up my thoughts on the value of average training pace. The proof is in the pudding. I speculate that a faster avg training pace is even LESS helpful when looking to run an MP that is almost a minute slower.

I find you irritating, too, if it makes you feel better.

Runner A: proven marathoner, PR 2:28, average pace over last training cycle: 6:40, mpw 50-60, result 2:44 (6:20 pace)

Runner B: proven marathoner, PR 2:38, avg pace over last training cycle 7:15, mpw 80-90, result 2:35 (5:57 pace)

This sums up my thoughts on the value of average training pace. The proof is in the pudding. I speculate that a faster avg training pace is even LESS helpful when looking to run an MP that is almost a minute slower.

So I see this and like to wonder what if....

Runner C: proven marathoner, PR 2:28, avg pace over last training cycle 6:40, mpw 80-90, result ???

Why is it sideways?

So I see this and like to wonder what if....

Runner C: proven marathoner, PR 2:28, avg pace over last training cycle 6:40, mpw 80-90, result ???

There is a runner C who sometimes posts. He just ran 2:27. avg pace 6:45, mpw 100-110.

MTA: Runner D PR 2:52, avg pace 8:30, mpw 100-120.

There is a runner C who sometimes posts. He just ran 2:27. avg pace 6:45, mpw 100-110.

MTA: Runner D PR 2:52, avg pace 8:30, mpw 100-120.

true. Question answered, thanks

L Train

Runners k and L can only dream about those training paces and race times. 

indeed

Was it all a dream?

Heh.

Happy Birthday Jeff!  And good luck this weekend!

Why is it sideways?

Heh.

Ha, another 2:28 guy chimes in. Wonder what his average pace is.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Not racing this weekend, though...at least not a marathon. Decided that Baystate was enough marathoning for me for this season. Shoulda run monkey, I guess--maybe coulda given you some company for a few miles anyways.

Feeling the growl again

WOW.  Leave out a few relevant details there to make yourself look good there, didn't you?  Like the part where I was on pace for 2:32-2:35 up until I pulled a hip flexor with 10 miles to go? 

You're right, the proof is in the pudding. Your marathon is incredibly soft given your performances over shorter distances.  You ran what, 15:49 in May/June and could only muster a 2:38 by fall?  McMillan would give around 2:33-4 which, even if optimistic, you had all summer to build towards.  Looks like backwards progress to me, especially given your volume.  You have a low-15 5K PR and have never mustered better than a 2:38.  I'm not sure you've "proven" anything other than you have a lot of natural talent (low-15 5K) and willingness to put in miles.  I know a guy with a 5K PR in the 15:20s, currently running 15:40s, that ran lower volume than you (never topped 80-85) but more faster running and just went 2:26. 

To claim you have optimized your training running 2:38, and have the basis to get so irrationally worked up about someone having a different take on things (who happened to take a college mid-34 10K to sub-31 practicing what they preach), well....

Not to mention my comment had absolutely nothing in the world to do with average training pace, but the assertion that "there is no training value to running faster than 8 minutes a mile more than once or twice a week".  I would also agree that average training pace is useless.  The only thing I disagreed with is the quoted statement above regarding the frequency of faster work, but you keep trying to make it something else.

Dude, you have some serious insecurity issues.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I Ain't Dead Yet!

true. Question answered, thanks

Ahh, Scovill.  I've had the honor of running a few training runs w/ this guy.  He is truly the exception to the rule.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                        The days of my youth are far behind
                        My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                        Can't hear one-half that's being said
                        And this is the message I want you to get
                        I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Was it all a dream?

Ahh, Scovill.  I've had the honor of running a few training runs w/ this guy.  He is truly the exception to the rule.

Hey Don!  Wasn't sure 'S' was for Sullivan until you used "buttercup" in your previous post. Wink

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Heh.

Wow and here is my Ragnar Relay teammate out here as well. What's up Ben?  Congrats again on Monkey.  Any last minute advice for me before I head to Dallas?

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                            The days of my youth are far behind
                            My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                            Can't hear one-half that's being said
                            And this is the message I want you to get
                            I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

The King of Beasts

Runner D PR 2:52, avg pace 8:30, mpw 100-120.

sounds like a real loser. its time for that tool to hang 'em up.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Ha, another 2:28 guy chimes in. Wonder what his average pace is.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Not racing this weekend, though...at least not a marathon. Decided that Baystate was enough marathoning for me for this season. Shoulda run monkey, I guess--maybe coulda given you some company for a few miles anyways.

I hear he is one of those freaky people that train a lot on the TM ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !