These vegans are scaring me... (Read 1069 times)

My daughter swore off meat last night and I told her I would join her knowing it would pass in a couple of days adn I am not that big a meat eater. She loves sweet and sour chicken and I think sweet and sour tofu won't cut it.
    Be careful - thats what my parents thought....13 or so years ago. Cool I dont consider myself vegetarian, I just dont eat meat. Why take perfectly good sweet and sour sauce and tofu and waste it on a grainy, weirdly textured poultry product? I really think eating meat is a habit. I tried to put it back in my diet and man it just tastes awful. (Except rare steak.....gotta love the steak-loving non-meat eater.) I dated a guy for almost 4 years, and after we broke up, he said he ate meat like once a month because he just wasnt used to cooking or ordering it. (Note - I never asked or wanted him not to eat meat in general or around me. I just didnt want to eat it.....)
    nemo1

Now, I seem to be surrounded by vegetarians. I don't think any of them are vegans though, so I will just go with what I know. There seem to be two types of vegetarians. Those like my sister, who only do it because they think they are being some sort of martyr protecting the cows (they wouldn't even be alive if they weren't going to get eaten, there stupid, no really, they are). Then, there are others, who don't make a big deal about it and if we argue, its only to tease each other about our different lifestyles. I don't like meat martyrs. Meat is yummy. I haven't found any kind that I don't like. But, I won't try snail. Women especially need red meat, and I'm a woman so I take advantage of the fact (especially since I tend to have low iron anyway). I know you can get iron elsewhere, but red meat just does it so nicely, especially when cooked right. So, the moral: If you don't like meat, fine, but don't shove it down my throat that the animals we eat have it so hard and I won't shove it down your throat that there are far easier/more efficient ways to meat your nutritional needs.
        (Except rare steak.....gotta love the steak-loving non-meat eater.) )
        My brother is the only vegetarian I know who eats bacon and lasagne!
        "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
          Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long, from Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love" Heinlein was smack on the money when he wrote that. Years ago a veggie head at work screamed at me and called me every name in the book because I was eating chicken for lunch. Said God didn't want me eating meat. I pointed out that if that was the case, why did God put the wrong teeth in my mouth then? Then asked him who was more likely wrong, him or God? Suddenly you could hear a pin drop. And he NEVER bothered me again about eating meat

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

mikeymike

This isn't about vegans or vegetarians so much as it is about fanatics. Fanatics of all ilk--whether their cause be religion, nutrition, a political world view, their particular brand of sport-- are annoying at best, dangerous at worst, and should be marginalized.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do not eat meat, specifically red meat and poultry. I only eat certain fish and no mollusks or custaceans (although I do like snails). I eat dairy and eggs. I have eaten this way for 20 years. I often use the label vegetarian just to make it easy, but I am not vegetarian and certainly not vegan. I generally try to eat healthy rather than replace my meat with junk food as many do. I do not shove my eating habits down any body else's throat, although my family must endure as I do much of the cooking and (for reasons of Kosher) we do not bring any meat into the house. About killing animals and animal ethics, there are many happy cattle living their lives eating grass on a pasture and chickens in the same fields eating grubs out of their patties. This is what cows are supposed to do. This is what chickens are supposed to do. This is not just free range, but true biodynamic pasture-fed meat. This is probably more humane than anything (and the resultant meats are far tastier and healthier, perhaps, than farm raised fish in big tanks fed organic corn). But this is not the meat you get at McDonalds. And since I eat a higher proportion of my intake from vegetables and grains, I have to acknowledge the fact that producing my food on an agricultural scale kills mice and birds and other small animals, perhaps in just as great numbers as cows and chickens killed to feed carnivores. There is no true ethical meal. And the argument should not be meat or no meat, but sustainable or nonsustainable. Cows are to be eaten. But cows are also to be allowed to ruminate freely in a pasture. I repeat. There is no true ethical meal. Well, except when made yourself from food purchased locally from biodynamic (not necessarily organic) farmers. Even then, the food you eat leaves a footprint on the Earth. But it is much more honest. Check it

Why is it sideways?

Warning: philosopher mode activated.
                There is no true ethical meal.
                Well said, Trent. Perhaps there is no true ethical meal, but certainly some meals are more ethical than others. Part of what it means to not be a fanatic is to be able to live life on the slippery slope without sliding into extreme views that may be logically consistent, but whose actual consequences for life are bad. The definition of a fanatic is someone whose beliefs override his capacities to weigh the outcomes of his decisions. For the fanatic, a belief is an excuse not to critically inquire into the consequences of action. I prefer to think of a belief as a hypothesis for testing in experience. If the consequences of a belief turn out to be bad, then we have to go back to the drawing board and revise the way we think about the world. We have the habit of evaluating our beliefs in terms of the criteria of consistency--"I always do____." "I never do _____."--as if acting the same way in every circumstance were the point of life. Being intelligent means being able to adapt your beliefs in the face of feedback from the environment (this is what people mean when they tell runners to listen to your body). It turns out (for a variety of institutional and historical reasons) that many of our eating habits don't lead to the good life, but to obesity, various environmental problems, high medical costs, etc. The ethical thing to do is to seek to modify those habits in small ways so that they lead to good outcomes--to better lives for us and our communities.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"But reporting high levels of beef consumption was linked with lower sperm counts in the grown sons of the women, up to 24.3% lower in sons of women who ate more than seven servings of beef a week." Even at only 4oz/serving that's a LOT of beef! I'll bet I ate half that on a heavy-beef week. I think what I ate the most of while pregnant was Arby's Chicken Cordon Bleu sammiches, LOL. At least during the first trimester...it's about the only thing that didn't make me queasy (didn't really have morning sickness, but had very little appetite those early months). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

some meals are more ethical than others
                    Perhaps. But how do we judge. Is the "organic" strawberry sold in December at Whole Foods (kept cool using petroleum-fueld refridgeration, flown in at great airplane fule petroleum costs from Brazil, packaged in plastic) or the "organic, free range" chicken from Wild Oats (raised in a 2-acre shed full of genetically identical chickens, with a door to the outside opened for the first time 5 weeks into their 7 week life, living under such austere unnatural sterile conditions so as to eliminate the risk of illness which would wipe out the flock overnight) better for being organic and free range than the beef fed corn and antibiotics in a concentrated animal feeding operation, but at a lower environmental cost in terms of petroleum use? What about, as Pollan points out, the out of season Sourth American organic asparagus that contain about 50 calories, but require 500 calories in airline fuel energy to get them to your plate? Not everybody can access pasture-fed beef or biodynamic vegetables. And even with access, it takes time and energy to prepare them for eating. It is terribly hard to eat seasonally and locally. Relying on simple labels, such as "organic" and "free range" may be deceiving. How to judge?
                    JakeKnight

It's turning into a regular hippie convention in here. A man could make himself a killing opening up a tie-dyed t-shirt shop. Just stay away from the brown acid, okay, kids? Question: should hippies be housed in communes, or are free range hippies more ethical? Discuss amongst yourselves. I have to go buy an SUV. My current mode of transport is way too fuel efficient. I absolute love this post quoted below, by the way. Was that final line a typo ... or on purpose? Either way, it's funny. Well said:
                      Now, I seem to be surrounded by vegetarians. I don't think any of them are vegans though, so I will just go with what I know. There seem to be two types of vegetarians. Those like my sister, who only do it because they think they are being some sort of martyr protecting the cows (they wouldn't even be alive if they weren't going to get eaten, there stupid, no really, they are). Then, there are others, who don't make a big deal about it and if we argue, its only to tease each other about our different lifestyles. I don't like meat martyrs. Meat is yummy. I haven't found any kind that I don't like. But, I won't try snail. Women especially need red meat, and I'm a woman so I take advantage of the fact (especially since I tend to have low iron anyway). I know you can get iron elsewhere, but red meat just does it so nicely, especially when cooked right. So, the moral: If you don't like meat, fine, but don't shove it down my throat that the animals we eat have it so hard and I won't shove it down your throat that there are far easier/more efficient ways to meat your nutritional needs.
                      Do meat martyrs have meatings?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It's turning into a regular hippie convention in here. A man could make himself a killing opening up a tie-dyed t-shirt shop. Just stay away from the brown acid, okay, kids?
                        Oh no, read what I said. In essence, I am almost advocating hunting for all your meat. Go out and kill a wild boar living the way God intended, rooting in the mud and eating acorns. Cook it over a fire that is burning the wood you chopped down yourself. Live like a caveman. A caveman with a gun. That is a far more sustainable way to live than that corn-fed (boy, almost sounds healthy, eh) meat-crap they serve at McDonalds.
                        JakeKnight

Oh no, read what I said. In essence, I am almost advocating hunting for all your meat. Go out and kill a wild boar living the way God intended, rooting in the mud and eating acorns. Cook it over a fire that is burning the wood you chopped down yourself. Live like a caveman. A caveman with a gun. That is a far more sustainable way to live than that corn-fed (boy, almost sounds healthy, eh) meat-crap they serve at McDonalds.
                          You're a closet hippie. Give it up. You're not fooling me. Jeff's rubbing off on you. Now I gotta go find a wild boar. Great. All I really wanted was a Big Mac. Do we have wild boar around here? I wonder if I could shoot a monkey. They seem meaty. Maybe I'll just have the acorns. Do they serve them at McDonald's? Oh - and no fire for you, caveman. That irresponsible behavior releases carbon into that atmosphere, and that's almost as deadly as running. Shiver, hippie # 2. Shiver. Cold tofu for you. And some kosher acorns. But they're free range acorns. Wanna go boar hunting later? Maybe we could get Jeff to chase them. He's fast.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm no closet hippie. I am a full blown hippie. With a haircut. And I don't eat meat. Or a monkey. Maybe I'm just a monkey. But I still have a haircut. And I shower. But no meat. But when I ran in Percy the other day and some 12 big fat deer ran in front of me, I thought of just how easy it would be to take one down. Bang. Barbeque. And it would be tasty too, cuz they are happy deer. Living in Percy. Lord knows I'm happy when I'm in Percy. And I don't even eat acorns. Good point about the gun. We'll throw rocks at 'em (at the deer, not at Jeff).
                            JakeKnight

Female beef eater? Consider this http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/03/28/female-beef-eater-consider-this/ http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/03/28/beef-consumption-in-women-linked-to-lower-sperm-count-in-sons/ Cry
                              Sure. But while you're considering it, actually consider it. As in, what it actually says, and the actual facts, as opposed to what your first link up there claims the research says. I followed the links and did my own considering: Worst case: a 24.3% lower sperm count in your sons. Maybe. If you absolutely gorge yourself on beef, while you’re pregnant. Maybe. But this "study" (cough) is based solely on self-reporting; not a shred of medical data. Just an apparent correlation between self-reported dietary habits and lowered sperm counts in sons, without any attempt to 1) verify the self-reporting, or 2) actually consider the billion other possible variables. And then it gets funnier: this correlation - assuming the self-reporting is somewhere close to accurate - only appears among women who eat beef SEVEN or more times a week. If you're eating beef SEVEN frickin' times a week, you've got more to worry about than your son's sperm. Like needing a root canal in your colon. Also - none of the big beefy sons of beef-loving cow-hating moms were infertile, by the way. Not one. Just the opposite. They'd all gotten their mates pregnant. Ironic, isn't it? Which could suggest an alternate conclusion: eat lots of beef while you’re pregnant, and your son is going to be quite the stud (literally) – even with less sperm! Nice. More efficient sperm! Where's that cheeseburger? Wait - it gets even better. Remember that "self reporting" bit? Any study based solely on self-reporting is potentially fatally flawed, of course - but this wasn't even that accurate. Know how they actually got their data? You ain't gonna believe this silliness: "For this study, the first to look at beef consumption and semen quality, researchers analyzed semen samples and questionnaires from 387 male partners of pregnant women. The men, born between 1949 and 1983, had reported (with the mothers' input, if possible) on their own mothers' diet during pregnancy." You read that right. The whole study is based on asking men what their mothers ate, when they were pregnant. With the men in question. Decades ago. "With the mothers' input, if possible." Jesus wept. I can’t remember what I had for breakfast, and you’re asking me what my mother ate for lunch on a Tuesday in April of 1969? And basing your “study” on my answers? Awesome. Good times. For the record, I do remember my Mom stuffing her face with some bad burritos right about the time Golda Meir became Prime Minister of Israel (it was a slow news day, if I remember right), and it frankly didn’t agree with me. But they were chicken burritos, so that’s probably covered in another study. Okay, so once you're through laughing (or crying) about where they got their “data,” make sure you consider the "researchers" own comments, too. Their advice is good, and goes a little beyond “beef = no sperm = bad!”:
                              "But expectant mothers and others should weigh the findings judiciously against other evidence, the researchers added. "We're not saying that people should stop eating beef, and it's particularly important in pregnancy that women get enough protein," said study lead author Shanna Swan, associate chairwoman for research and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Rochester (N.Y.) School of Medicine and Dentistry. "Women have to eat protein, although they don't necessarily have to eat meat," she said. "If women want to take action, they could try hormone-free beef or organic beef, although it's not proven, or reduce their consumption of beef or find some other protein."
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------- Last thing you should do, while you're considering the above: find out who financed this "research." I'll bet a Quarter Pounder w/Cheese that the answer to that particular question would be ... interesting. I love this thread. Not only did I learn that running will kill me any day now, I've also discovered that I'm an unethical, intolerant, unhealthy, mindless killing machine burdened by slow decomposing waste and weak, flabby sperm. Awesome. Where's that boar I gotta kill?