Doubles and marathon training (Read 980 times)

C-R

I've read several back posts on doubles and have a follow-up question that I did not see addressed. I'm using Higdon Intermediate 2 schedule (+ or -) and I now start getting into the 8 mile range twice per week to add to the weekend long run. I've got no problem with setting aside time for the weekend long run and will do those in one treck. However, my weekday schedule is hard to get the time for 8+. I run at lunch so I can have more time at home and can get 5 very easily. I've run a few doubles and am good with this. Here is the question, does anyone see a downside in running the weekday 8+ milers as doubles (5/3 or 5/whatever as they increase)? Has anyone done this? Results? Thanks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Go Daddy

The math works out and you still will hit "x" number of miles per week. But I always thought that the purpose of the longer run was to increase the time that you spend on your feet continuously in motion. Another RA'er used this example: "I can hold my breath for four minutes...but not all at once" The eight milers are intended to be run "all at once" to build physical and mental stamina.

Hawt and sexy

If you are training for a marathon you need the time on your feet. For marathon training 8 miles is better than 5+3 because of the adaptions that need to be made in your body. This includes adations in bones, tendons, muscles, and aerobic system. I think Pfitz gives 90 minutes as a nice round number but in reality, the closer you get to expected race time in a slower training run, the better you will feel on race day. If you are not training for a marathon. adjust accordingly.

I'm touching your pants.

A Saucy Wench

Look if you can only carve out enough time to do 5, then do 5 and 3 later, or 5 and 4. I've always thought that if you are doing doubles to make up planned mileage then do a little extra. If that is your best choice, then that is your choice. But realize those midweek runs are going to get longer, so see what you can do to get at least a few of them straight through. When it gets to 10, you would be better doing 7 and 3 than 5 and 5. You'll get more out of the 8 continuous, especially the way higdons program is designed. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If you were talking splitting the long run I would say noway, but this is one midrun of 2 I've done both. I have a team run tuesday nights on the day that is supposed to be my other midlong. On weeks I do the team run, I run the extra miles in the morning so that I make the total. On weeks I dont I do the full mileage in the morning. I think I get benefits from both. The 10 miles in the morning gives me one kind of endurance, but I feel fresher for my run the next day. The split run is easier at the time, but I am wiped out the next morning when I am doing my 3rd run in 24 hours and probably at an average faster pace. Definitely gives me the run on tired legs training. Since I am also training for a 3 leg relay, I try to do some of both. Remember none of these plans are the holy grail. You have to do what works with your life. Just make sure you arent looking for excuses. Big grin Which means if getting up extra early one day a week is what you need to do, consider it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

Thanks all. That pretty much answers my question. Looks like its time for a HTFU moment and time to get up a little earlier as I get ready for my Oct marathon.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

I don't run a lot of miles that would justify "doubles". However I do find that if I do some type of workout during the day I will run better that night when it is time. It worked then I was playing basketball, swimming, even weight lifting. Maybe some day I will be running enough I can try it out with just running. The earlier workout seems to warm you up for the one latter, ensuring your are nice and loose for that one.

Feeling the growl again

If the schedule says 8 and you do 5+3 you will not get what you are supposed to out of it, but it is certainly better than just 5. When I double for that purpose, I increase the daily mileage to roughly get the intended effect. If you did 5+4 or 5+5 that would be about as good as 8 straight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If you can get "5 very easily" at home, does that mean you could get 7 or 8 if you squeezed a little? How about just 1 day a week instead of 2? If you could get 1 moderately long single during the week to go with your long weekend run you should be fine. I generally have most of my running time available on Wednesdays and weekends so I go with a long or medium-long day on Wednesday and another liong one on weekends. All other days are slow or easy. I do doubles more often on my easy day, e.g. 4 at lunch, 4-7 more after work. It works pretty well.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  C-R

Thanks Spaniel and Jim. Good advice on both counts. I'm still early in following an improvement plan. Normally I just run and hope for the best so to speak. I like the idea of two fives being around an eight and making sure I hit at least one long midweek run out of the two. Flexibility is needed with these plans and you're suggestions provide that well. Willamona - I thought about the 90 minute Pfitz comment and it makes sense. Perhaps I can try to combine all three of these to help stay on track and juggle the rest of life's activities. Spaniel - where in Indiana if you don't mind me asking?

If you are supposed to run easy, then I wouldn't "squeeze a little" - I'd still run easy and either HTFU and get up early or else just do the double (possibly with an extra mile or 2 on one of the runs.) Training for a marathon isn't rocket science, and running more frequently isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as you get your long run in at one go, then I think that splitting up your mid-week runs isn't going to make a huge difference. It may not be exactly the plan that you are following, but it should still get you to the starting line healthy as long as you keep the easy days easy. If you try to run faster on an easy day just to get the miles in, you are more likely to get hurt and won't be doing yourself any favors.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Spaniel and Jim. Spaniel - where in Indiana if you don't mind me asking?
                        I live a bit west of Indy. I work close enough to Eagle Creek Park to run there once in awhile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Since I am also training for a 3 leg relay, I try to do some of both.
                          You mean like this?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

You mean like this?
                            Exactly. For 20 or so miles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

You mean like this?
                              pretty tame stuff for you swamp dwellers - I was expecting some sort of Ron Jeremy hijack - thanks fo helping us keep our G rating..