Mosquitos (Read 832 times)

I was out yesterday running in my Nike shorts and tee and I ran into a small swarm of mosquitos. I'm just wondering where they came from since it's been relatively cold un until now!
    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
    jeffdonahue

All it takes is one warm day to wake up the nests. I noticed them yesterday too when I was out playing with my kids. It was the first really nice day in a while in the northeast and now they are back.
        Yeah tell me about it! First nice day here too, 73F, and I went out for a run. There were bees, gnats, mosquitoes, etc. It's like all winter long they are at their front doors just waiting for the doors to be released by a temperature shift. Jesus Christ Big grin
        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
          lol... I got a bite I thought was a mosquito bite but figured it must have been some other kind of bug... yesterday when grilling dinner... I thought it strange but I see I am not the only one...

A local farmer up here in Maine makes an all natural insect repellent that isn't as bad for you as deet and works a hell of a lot better. I'm glad we discovered it last year, especially given the increased amount of trail running that I have been doing up here and the whole black fly situation, which are way worse than the skeeters.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Yeah tell me about it! First nice day here too, 73F, and I went out for a run. There were bees, gnats, mosquitoes, etc. It's like all winter long they are at their front doors just waiting for the doors to be released by a temperature shift. Jesus Christ Big grin
              It takes until 73 F for you to consider a nice day? I'm back below 32 F all day and expecting 10-18 inches of snow today Not looking forward to mosquitos when the eventually get here. Being in the land of lakes and all.

A Saucy Wench

It takes until 73 F for you to consider a nice day? I'm back below 32 F all day and expecting 10-18 inches of snow today Not looking forward to mosquitos when the eventually get here. Being in the land of lakes and all.
                Ahh...you make the assumption that there is something between freezing your ass off and 73. Not always the case. Yesterday I ran in 36 and pouring. Today if I had run it would have been 30 degrees. Tomorrow I could run in 75 and sunny.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Ahh...you make the assumption that there is something between freezing your ass off and 73. Not always the case. Yesterday I ran in 36 and pouring. Today if I had run it would have been 30 degrees. Tomorrow I could run in 75 and sunny.
                  I realize there can be dramitic shifts, obviously because I ran in the 50s last week when the day before I was running in 14 F and then had thunder snow at the end of the week. I just doubt that the first nice day was from a string of 32s all the way up to 73 especially since I lived relatively close to him in central pa the last 4 years. If it was, my apologies. By the way, if you think freezing your ass off is 32 (I will give you a little credit for the rain) then you need to HTFU Tongue (hopefully the first and only time I will use that stupid acronym, I am still in disbelief that I actually typed it No )
                    I was out yesterday running in my Nike shorts and tee
                    It is those "Nike Shorts and tee" they attract Mosquitoes.
                    I was out yesterday running in my Nike shorts and tee and I ran into a small swarm of mosquitos. I'm just wondering where they came from since it's been relatively cold un until now!
                    Now if that were your post I would have asked, "Were you wearing your Nike shorts and tee's?" Big grin Big grin Big grin

Maggie & Molly

A local farmer up here in Maine makes an all natural insect repellent that isn't as bad for you as deet and works a hell of a lot better. I'm glad we discovered it last year, especially given the increased amount of trail running that I have been doing up here and the whole black fly situation, which are way worse than the skeeters.
                      does he/she sell the stuff? My family goes camping in Maine every year and those darn black flies drive me nuts when I'm running.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Seriously, what's the purpose of mosquitoes? Food for birds? Any biologists or entomologists here?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

A Saucy Wench

I realize there can be dramitic shifts, obviously because I ran in the 50s last week when the day before I was running in 14 F and then had thunder snow at the end of the week. I just doubt that the first nice day was from a string of 32s all the way up to 73 especially since I lived relatively close to him in central pa the last 4 years. If it was, my apologies. By the way, if you think freezing your ass off is 32 (I will give you a little credit for the rain) then you need to HTFU Tongue (hopefully the first and only time I will use that stupid acronym, I am still in disbelief that I actually typed it No )
                          I am from Oregon so I am a wimp! Seriously the coldest we ever really get here is about 24F...but actually the coldest I ever was when running is when I left the house in 50 degree weather (shorts and T) and half way through my run a cold front moved in with 20 mph wind and driving rain and when I got home it was 37

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Rundadrun27

I hate Mosquitos. Winnipeg is the Mosquito capital of the world.

Half Fanatic #846

Speaking of Maine, Cheryl and Blaine: When I was visiting relatives east of Bangor a couple of years ago I tried to run. The logging roads and small roads everywhere were TERRIBLE for black flies and deer flies. BUT, I quickly discovered that running along the highway east of Bangor was very nice rolling hills with no bugs, with lots of room to run on the shoulder. The only explanation I could come up with for this was that the traffic - especially big trucks - kept the bugs "blown off the highway" - like creating a bug-free "safe tunnel" for runners. I really found this very interesting, not to mention that it saved my running! Big grin Here in Fla. the mosquitos and bugs are pesky, but I'll take 'em over deer flies and black flies any day! Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

does he/she sell the stuff? My family goes camping in Maine every year and those darn black flies drive me nuts when I'm running.
                                Yeah. We bought it at the Windham Farmers Market. I'm assuming they'll have the market again this year in which case it will probably be available. The market as a whole isn't as good as Portland's farmers market, but it's worth swinging up for now and again.
                                The logging roads and small roads everywhere were TERRIBLE for black flies and deer flies. BUT, I quickly discovered that running along the highway east of Bangor was very nice rolling hills with no bugs, with lots of room to run on the shoulder.
                                Try running along the coast if you are really worried about the bugs. Other than a few spots where there's standing water (Deering Oaks comes to mind) there are almost no bugs in or near Portland. They don't like the salt water quite as much I guess.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)