running while sick. (Read 827 times)

Skooter 3.0

I've got some kind of funkiness going on....cough, chest congestion, and I have a Dr. appointment about it tomorrow. My throat got a little tight for about 30 secs in my 5k this weekend, but then was fine...I've never been sick while running over 20 miles a week...is it ok to run? Will it make things worse? Sorry if this is a bonehead question, I just don't really know.

Goals?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are you oinking with your cough?

Skooter 3.0

No, it's a pretty shallow cough, that's what's annoying, nothing will come up. If I exhale hard it sounds like there's a kazoo in my chest, though.

Goals?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The classic rule, which is not grounded in any science I know of and which I regularly ignore is this: run if the symptoms are above the neck, rest if they are below the neck.

Skooter 3.0

hmm...I may still just do a three miler today...I'll see where the afternoon takes me.

Goals?

Personally if you feel sick enough to go see a Dr then I would not run. But I have to be about dead to go see a Dr Big grin Kidding aside if just a cold ... then run. But if only a cold going to Dr is a waste of time as they can not help you. More likely possible respitory infection and running will only make your worse. "Do as I say ... Not as I do"

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Skooter 3.0

Yeah...I'm not a Dr. frequenter myself, but my chest sounds so weird I just want to make sure I don't get walking pnumonia or something like that...I'm fairly sure I'm going to be on some antibiotics come tuesday evening. I hate having to take medicine. I'll take today off and ask my doc what he thinks tomorrow.

Goals?

Hannibal Granite

My general rule of thumb is that a fever isn't good to run with. Just a general malaise or runny nose, cough, chest cold type thing can be run through in my experience, but slow down a bit and shorten the run a bit if feeling overly tired

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

You'll ruin your knees!

If you go to the doc and are perscribed antibiotics, be sure and ask questions! Make sure your doc knows you are a runner and understand all of the interactions/side affects of the meds perscribed...ask!!!!!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

just get off the damn internet and go run. unless your leg is broken your fine. your just stalling. get off your butt and appreciate the fact that you still can run. but if you drop dead while running, let us know so we can properly advise the next person who asks this question.
                        cranky ass Tongue
                        xor

just get off the damn internet and go run. unless your leg is broken your fine. your just stalling. get off your butt and appreciate the fact that you still can run. but if you drop dead while running, let us know so we can properly advise the next person who asks this question.
                          Somebody needs a hug.

what i need, is a leg that actually works. Angry but i'll take a hug too...
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No, someone needs applause, so she'll keep performing, for our entertainment. *clap*clap*clap*clap

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Skooter 3.0

Ok, so I have bronchitis, Doc says I can start running again tomorrow, but I'm on Cipro and the bottle has this massive warning about avoiding excess sunlight. Trent, is this something I should be concerned about? I really want to get back to running, but I also don't want to run out in the sun for 2 hours and have some freaky reaction to the cipro...your thoughts?

Goals?