There are no new data (Read 1204 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I got a 405. I ran with it. Now it would be nifty if I could upload data with it, like I used to with the 305.

Here's what I've done (altho I don't know if it is the correct stuff to do):

Windows Vista.

(same computer that has been working with the 305)

Logged in as administrator.

Downloaded and installed ANT 2.2.5.

Logged back in as me.

Paired computer to watch.

ANT program pulled data from watch.

But when I push the Connect button in GPS Upload in RA site, it just says

But it doesn't show today's run (the only one with 405 so far).

So, yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'm hoping someone less ignorant as me can give me a hint or pointer or something Smile

I didn't install any Garmin Training Center or anything, cause I wasn't using that with the 305, and anyway, I'm pretty happy with my only logging being on RA...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Anyone have any ideas? This computer reads from a 305 watch ok, so I guess I'm missing some 405-specific piece of software, but I'm not clever enough to really have any idea where I'm lacking.

ymmv

I would suggest eliminating some unknowns by first getting it working with only garmin software. You can even get their tech help to do that. I let garmin software automatically upload workouts to garmin connect once they are transferred from the 405. I rarely look at them there, maybe only if I want charts with more than two data sets overlayed (like pace-elevation-HR over distance).

If it was working with the 305, then I suppose you already have the garmin browser plugin. Perhaps the browser plugin is not aware that you have the new ANTAgent software and 405. I'd try to re-install the browser plugin to see if it recognizes the new setup during the install.

I use a 405.  WHen it gets close enough to the ANT stick it automatically uploads to the Garmin Training Center - I think I loaded that when I first started with it.

But the noticeable thing which might be relevant for you is that if I try to upload to RA first then it recognises the 405 but says there's no data.  Only once its uploaded to the training center does it allow me to upload to RA. 

That may not be very helpful for you (given you've chosen not to use the training center) but might help eric I guess?

ymmv

Also, there is a way to test the browser plugin to make sure it sees the 405. Its the same way that you would make firmware updates to the 405. I think this is the right url: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

If all is well in with the garmin plugin, it should report something like this:

Garmin Communicator Plugin Test Page

Communicator Plugin is properly installed and up to date, version 2.7.3.0.

Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating properly:

toms405

eric :)

Oops, I didn't mean to ignore you AmoresPerrors.  Once in a while I accidentally miss threads.

I'm not sure what's wrong.  There are two possible explanations:

• The Garmin plugin did not return any workouts
              • The Garmin plugin returned workouts but the date format is different from the 305, so the GPS importer did not regcognize them as new workouts.

One way to determine the problem is watch the GPS importer status bar.  Does it show the importer is downloading data from the GPS or does it return immediately when you click the Upload button?

Do other people with 405 on Vista have the same problem?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Eric -- it immediately says no data available -- I see no indication that it is really getting any data.

Reinstalling the plugin software sounds like a sensible test. (Although it is certainly working with the 305, as I uploaded data with it today from a 305). However, I forget how to do it and where to get it, and what version is good -- I thought I saw some posts saying it is bad to upgrade to their latest version.

There was a howto that had step-by-step instructions on installing the browser plugin, that I followed last time -- anyone remember where it is? I mean, it was here somewhere.

And, what version should I use -- is it dangerous to get the latest version?

Thanks for any hints.

Then if this doesn't help any, I could, as someone else suggested, try installing the training center whatever thing, to see if that helps.

ymmv

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

is where you can get the communicator browser plugin. FWIW, the latest version works fine for me on a MAC. I also recall that there was a version that was broken, so it would not work with RA. I don't know the version number of the broken one.

As a software guy, it sort of makes sense to me that when you install the communicator browser plugin, it will figure out where to get its data from. So it would know about any garmin watches that have been paired with your computer (like  with GarminTrainingCenter). Now, if you have everything installed for the 305, but then later install the ANTAgent for the 405, I would not expect the communicator plugin to become aware of the new ANTAgent software. Anyway, that's my theory. Garmin software does not strike me as being particularly robust, and I would not be surprised if the order that you install things is very important.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

is where you can get the communicator browser plugin. ...

Mixed results.

Logged on as administrator (installed August updates which came out earlier this week), uninstalled Garmin Communicator plugin 2.64, rebooted, installed Garmin Communicator plugin 2.81, rebooted.

Went for a run. Tried GPS upload. It found two workouts, but neither one today.

Don't honestly know what to conclude from that.

You may need to install Garmin Training Center to be able to use a 405 with Running Ahead.

I have a 405 and have the ANT agent and Training Center installed. When I have a new run on my watch, and ANT stick plugged in then ANT agent extracts the data and displays it in Garmin Training Center. I shut down Traing center then use the Running Ahead GPS upload feature. 

I'm not too sure how the communciator plugin works, but somehow after ANT agent/Training center does its stuff there is a file uploaded into a folder on my PC (CUndecidedDocuments and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\<some number>\History\<date and time>.tcx). This is what then gets uploaded to Running Ahead as part of the GPS import.

You may want to check that the file gets created when ANT agent uploads it from your watch. If it is mising then there could be  aproblem with the ANT agent  and you may want to try installing the full "Garmin communicator with ANT agent" combofrom the Garmin website. There are options in the ANT agent device settings to send data to Garmin Connect and Garmin Training Center. I have both of these ticked and perhaps they may be needed to allow Running Ahead to be able to find the data.

Running - cheaper than therapy

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I found that there is a recent ANT Agent update to 2.2.7, and that there are some online threads complaining that the ANT Agent 2.2.5 version doesn't work for upload at all, so I'm trying out ANT Agent 2.2.7 as a next step (I had ANT Agent 2.2.5).

re: http://www.fixya.com/support/t597471-garmin_405_wont_download

re: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?p=2448

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Woohoo, it's working with the new ANT Agent software -- without any Garmin Training Center at all. (I like to make one change at a time and test with each change.) Thanks everyone.

ok - i'll definitely be doing that - mine's only 2.2.1
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

ok - i'll definitely be doing that - mine's only 2.2.1

I might be reluctant to change it if it works perfectly for you now, but best of luck! And mine does seem to be working ok for 305 and 405 -- except that right now it lacks one leg of a workout today, but maybe I just didn't wait long enough for that one piece to show up...