First Race (Read 716 times)

Long Island Half Marathon So if you told me last year I was going to run a half marathon I would have thought you were crazy. When I started running a little over a year ago, encouraged by Michelle who had been running for awhile and is quite impressive and Bobby who started running a little before me, I couldn't even run for 2 minutes straight without wanting to collapse! Bobby got me training with this program called "Couch to 5K" which was literally what I needed. I did pilates and yoga and the occassional kickboxing class but running was a whole new world! But despite the slow start, the heat, studying for the bar, and my pathetic athletic abilities, the program worked and I started enjoying running. I escaped everything else and just paid attention to my feet pounding the pavement and my breathing. Now the program didn't lie, I was able to run a 5K, but it took me almost twice as long as the program said. Didn't matter though, I felt good. Then Michelle ran a marthon in January down in Florida, I went to cheer her on and was inspired and suddenly determined that I would run a race too. So I started training for a half marthon, which conveniently was scheduled right on Long Island in early May. I picked a 12 week program and gave myself a couple of extra weeks, remembering how long it took me to train for the 5K and also remembering that I have a very demanding job with little time off. Plus, people said it was a little crazy to run a half marathon as your first race, but I never let things like that stop me! The training was slow going to start, much like my summer running program, but I was amazed at how quickly and easily it was for me to go from 3 miles to 5 to 8 and then to 12 before the big day. I only had some minor leg pain, but with Eric's advice and encouragement I was fine for race day. The day was cold and windy. I'm not used to running outside. Although I started my training outside last summer, I have become a very cushy runner and usually run on the treadmill in climate control! The first 8 miles were brutal, the wind was blowing right at you and every step I ran I felt like the wind was pushing me back a little. Usually I hit a breaking point at mile 3.5 to 4 and am good until mile 8. Needless to say with the wind hampering my running this way I never hit my break at 4, and miles 1 through 8 seemed almost impossible. At one point I thought I would just give in and walk the rest of the way. Then at mile 8 we turned off Jericho Turnpike and the wind broke and my stride lengthened and my speed increased and I was able to breath! Mile 8 to 12 felt pretty good. Unfortunately because of the cold there weren't many spectators and it was difficult to keep going, especially that last mile. I almost wanted to stop and walk but I was going to cross that line running so help me! Tears started running as I had about a quarter mile to go (as one spectator kindly reminded me, don't do that!). I saw Rob and my parents as I pounded to the end, and felt a rush of pure joy and relief as I crossed the line. It took me 2 hours and 15 minutes but I did it! And frankly, I was very happy with my time, not bad for 13.2 miles and my first race ever! I have done many things in my life, some that I have worked at harder and longer than this, but there was something very special that happened to me yesterday. I realized, I am a runner. From a girl who had no athletic skills growing up, who used to walk the Presidential mile in school and complain the entire way, I have pushed past all that. Thanks to all who have encouraged and helped me along the way and to Erik, Rob, Michelle and my parents for cheering me on that final step! Who knows what's next ...
    “I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down...” Abraham Lincoln
    JakeKnight

Congrats! A very nice time and a very nice race for your first.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, you don't mess around--HM for your first race! Good going! Big grin BTW, my first HM time was 2:14:35, so we could have run our first HMs together, from the sound of things. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Very awesome! Congratulations!!
            Thank you all! This cite is great, who couldn't benefit from such encouragement. I would like to apologize to my good friend EriC, who kindly reminded me that his name is spelled with a C and not a K. I think I can blame it on post-run fatigue! If anyone has some information on upcoming shorter races in the Tri-State area please let me know, I can't wait to do another!
            “I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down...” Abraham Lincoln
              Nice work...

You'll ruin your knees!

Who knows what's next ...
                Wow! Great job on the race, sounds like you OVERCAME! Who indeed? Congrats, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Prophet!

great job on your first race...way to bring the athlete in you out...oh and i know what's next .... a half Marathon!
                    Awesome! Smile and thanks for sharing your first HM experience with fellow RA'ers. Dang, your first race ever? no 1 mile 5Ks or 10K... I'd consider that going all out. I am wondering how your state's bar exam compares to a full marathon! Maybe you should schedule a full marathon (or maybe one of these ultra races!) after a state bar exam to clear your mind haha Best on both pursuits!

Vim

Nice going! Big grin
                      2009: BQ?
                      psycrunner

Congratulations! Way to Go! My first race was a full marathon--after being inspired by watching a friend complete one--and my third was the half I finished a couple of weeks ago, so I totally understand that drive to go long! If you've got the bug now, there's nothing that will stop you! Thanks for sharing your inspiring story!
                        Carol