Is walking allowed? (Read 1083 times)

JakeKnight

Some people walk the whole race! Wink
    Ultrawalker: A question for you - are your PR times listed in your log actually all walking? No running at all?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

mbk

Ultrawalker: A question for you - are your PR times listed in your log actually all walking? No running at all?
      Yes, that's correct. I've always been a racewalker since day one. I will admit that in some ultras I will jog down very steep downhills because it's too hard to put on the brakes and walk, and that in one ultra (Laurel Highlands) I ran the last quarter mile because I had gotten lost and was afraid of missing the cutoff (made it with less than 12 minutes to spare). But other than that I am a walker.
      JakeKnight

Yes, that's correct. I've always been a racewalker since day one. I will admit that in some ultras I will jog down very steep downhills because it's too hard to put on the brakes and walk, and that in one ultra (Laurel Highlands) I ran the last quarter mile because I had gotten lost and was afraid of missing the cutoff (made it with less than 12 minutes to spare). But other than that I am a walker.
        That is ... amazing. That you can maintain 10:00-pace walking a 5-k is really amazing; and I have run a marathon slower than your walking PR. The Ultracentric result is pretty stunning, too. I'm fascinated. So, the obvious question ... why? Do you ever run? Part of my fascination may stem from the fact that I hate walking; too many years humping a pack up and down hills in the Marine Corps, and too many long trips to the mall. How hard is the technique to learn? Does it *feel* easier than running at the same pace? Or is it harder? Sorry to highjack your thread, Chloe; maybe I'll start another one and bug poor Ultrawalker here. One last question - so how much do runners hate when you pass them? Yes I'll bet you get some interesting comments ...

Wingz

Professional Noob

One last question - so how much do runners hate when you pass them? Yes I'll bet you get some interesting comments ...
          Personally, I don't have the extra breath to spare for comments when I'm being passed by walkers... Roll eyes Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

mbk

So, the obvious question ... why? Do you ever run?
            I've tried running once or twice but didn't really enjoy it, plus my left knee hated it! Smile I started racewalking with Team in Training. I was about 40+ lbs. overweight with no running experience at all, so I signed up to racewalk a half marathon. I loved the racewalking form and challenge so I stuck with it.
            How hard is the technique to learn? Does it *feel* easier than running at the same pace? Or is it harder?
            The technique is not that hard to learn, although if you want to enter judged racewalking events you have to have a much tighter form than I have. You can be disqualified from "official" walking events, so technique does become important. I didn't think it was hard to learn - Team in Training helped a lot. To me, based on my minuscule running experience, racewalking is smoother and less stressful on the body, so it is more enjoyable from that perspective. Of course I don't have the same pleasant experience that speed provides, so it is a trade-off.
            One last question - so how much do runners hate when you pass them? Yes I'll bet you get some interesting comments ...
            I have to say that I've had very few negative comments from runners; most are either focused on their own thing or are complimentary and encouraging. in some ultras there are a lot of out-and-back routes so you will see people multiple times, and people are usually encouraging. I've had more comments from spectators than I've had from runners. The only time I remember a comment from a runner was in a road 20k when I was passing a runner around the halfway mark and she said, "I thought this was a running race." Kind of a dumb comment to make when you are being passed by a walker. Anyway, thanks for asking! I sometimes feel out of place as a walker, but it's what I like to do so I try to push those feelings into the back of my mind and focus on the task at hand. Clowning around
            JakeKnight

The technique is not that hard to learn
              Really interesting ... and I'm asking for selfish reasons. I know ultras are in my not-distant future, and it would seem to me that for marathon and beyond distance, being able to comfortably shift gears into a 12:00-per-mile walking pace could be a real advantage.
              The only time I remember a comment from a runner was in a road 20k when I was passing a runner around the halfway mark and she said, "I thought this was a running race." Kind of a dumb comment to make when you are being passed by a walker.
              Dumb indeed. You should have said: "Just imagine if I was running ..."
              I sometimes feel out of place as a walker, but it's what I like to do so I try to push those feelings into the back of my mind and focus on the task at hand. Clowning around
              Hey, a race is a race. How you get to the finish line is your business, assuming no wheels are involved. If you were always at the back of the pack, it'd be one thing ... but at your pace, you're comfortably in the top half of the pack in a lot of races. Probably a lot higher than that in some. Faster than a lot of people. Hell, in ultras it might be a better technique. I can't believe you did 100+ at Ultracentric and didn't run a step. That's really impressive. Are you really planning on tackling Badwater?

vicentefrijole

I sometimes feel out of place as a walker, but it's what I like to do so I try to push those feelings into the back of my mind and focus on the task at hand. Clowning around
                I'm with JK.... I am amazed! And I hope you don't continue to feel out of place in on this site... I know this forum tends to be runner dominated, but I like to think we've got a variety of speeds/methods/opinions and they're all valid. Actually, one of the best things about the 'RA community' is the diversity of athletes that are here and the overall level of tolerance/acceptance of them all. (Yay us!) Big grin If there are cyclists/swimmers/triathletes reading this forum, I really hope they speak up too! Smile
                mbk

I know ultras are in my not-distant future, and it would seem to me that for marathon and beyond distance, being able to comfortably shift gears into a 12:00-per-mile walking pace could be a real advantage.
                  I can honestly say that in almost all races I pass people for the latter stages of the race. That doesn't mean I win, or that I'm a better athlete, but I think I can maintain a more steady pace and feel stronger at the end. So from my perspective, especially in ultras, a fast walking pace is a huge advantage. Except for the elites, everyone walks in ultras.
                  Are you really planning on tackling Badwater?
                  Absolutely! My goals for the next three years are: 1st 100 mile race (Heartland next October) A couple more hundreds and Ultracentric Badwater Summer 2008 Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim Fall 2008 Walk Across Texas (diagonal NWest to SEast) Spring 2009 Will it happen? I don't know, but you've got to have goals! Big grin Thanks to you guys for making me feel "part of the group." Good luck with your training and your ultra goals. Now that I've done ultras, I can't give them up. I try from time to time when the training takes a lot of time and I get discouraged, but I'm always drawn back in. Once you get started, you'll love it. Take care, and happy running/walking.