Swollen ankles & feet - & numb toes... (Read 2639 times)

Finished!

I went backpacking, then hiking - first in ridiculously hot temps, then at much higher elevations - I got sunburned a little, and when I came home from the adventure I realized my lower legs and feet were painfully swollen - It's been 2-3 days and the swelling has come down considerably though there is still some present. I also noticed my big toes feel slightly numb. The boots I was wearing aren't new - they are a make and model I've used for years with no problem. I didn't notice any strange pinching or lack of room in the toebox. Anyone have suggestions on the following: 1) what the heck caused the swelling 2) what to do the next time this occurs (I tried NSAIDs, elevation & ice) 3) any ideas on what the heck caused my toes to go numb? I'll be asking my podiatrist about it too since I have to go followup on my orthotics this week anyway.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The numb toes are a common complaint among backpackers who carry much more weight than their feet are used to. I believe it has to do with squeezing the nerves. My wife and I went backpacking in Yosemite for four days in the winter (so we were carrying lots of gear). Her toes went numb and didn't fully recover for several months! But there was no lasting damage.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Basically... run!

My big toes used to go numb all the time while skiing. I finally realized that my boots squeezing my calves was causing the numbness. And recently, I wore a pair of shoes with thicker than usual socks, and one toe was numb for a week! Even though my toes themselves had plenty of room to wiggle, something was getting squeezed too much farther up my foot/leg. I always thought of it as a vein or artery getting cut off, but a nerve makes sense to me. I'll be interested to hear what your podiatrist has to say about the numb toes.

Finished!

*sigh* no big news from the Podiatrist - the toes are numb because (surprise Wink ) I damaged the nerves - feeling will come back eventually though I have been warned it may take quite some time. The boots may be at fault, though it may have also have been due to the terrain and the heat resulting in extra swelling. *sigh*
          Walk + Jog = wog.
          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry