My first first ever! (Read 1024 times)

Ok, so there were only 31 runners, and the college students are gone for the summer, and the high school kids all had track meets. But still, I won the first race of my life this morning. United Way 5k, at James Madison University. The course was short (2.89 mi according to my RA map), but I finished in 17:02, a 5:54 pace, which was 6 sec/mi faster than my previous best. Big grin

Lazy idiot

31 people or no, a win is a win. Congrats Kevin! Way to go! Big grin

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn, that is awesome!!! No matter how you look at it that's a good effort! To place first is just the icing on the cake. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

congrats kevin!
            Wow ---- GREAT time, and congrats on finishing first!!! Very cool! Cool
            2009: BQ?
              Thanks for the kind words everyone. It seems almost incredible to me that an OLD guy like me can still get faster.
                Great job, Kevin. My wife went to school there, making your win that much better Clowning around

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Doesn't matter how many people were gone- with a time like that they would be behind you. Great job!!
                  http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                    That's a great pace! Way to go! How exciting, to be first! What's it like to lead the pack?
                      That's a great pace! Way to go! How exciting, to be first! What's it like to lead the pack?
                      It was a little scary, feeling like I was being chased (which I guess I was), with noone to follow, which was especially bad on the last turn where there was nothing and nobody to tell me where to go!
                        Congratulations!! 2 runners or 31, it counts!!! And how funny...I never thought of how it would feel if you were in the lead. That would be a little freaky!! Big grin
                        jcasetnl

Wow, that pace is very impressive no matter how you slice it!
                            Wow, that pace is very impressive no matter how you slice it!
                            EXACTLY! Great race. I'm jealous!! Can't wait to see what your next one is. Big grin

Michelle

WTG Kevin!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice job Kevin! Sorry the course was short, but you ran a real nice pace!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.