first 4 mile run (Read 239 times)

ariesasu

Good morning.need a little advice.In a month i have a  4 mile run-my 1st-my dear husband said i won t be in the first 500-wanna proove him wrong-

i work out 5 days a week mixing cardio with weights and so on,

right now i do 3 miles in 25 min.How can i improve in 4 weeks so i can run 4 miles in 25-28 min?or better?

i can run 4 miles its not a matter of that its a matter of how can i do it faster?

i eat 30-40 min before i go workout and 30 min after i am done( a seed bar or something like that) i live a pretty healthy lifestyle

thank you all

an amazing likeness

There are many training approaches to running faster. Many.  Among them, one of the most proven is to run more.

You report you're running 3mi in 25 min now; so you're running ~8:20 min/mile.

Your goal is 4 miles in 25 min, or 6:15 min/mile.  Or 4 miles in 28 min, which is 7:00 min/mile.

That's a heck of a difference in 1 month.

But, assuming you've got good cardio capacity -- you need to build running capability.  The way to do that is to...(ta-da!)...run more. More time running, more miles running. Running easy miles to build you're running base.

Run easy; run as much as you can without getting beat up and too sore to run the next day; run more distance.  To do all these, you'll want to run at a pace that leaves you feeling like you could turn around and run more after each workout.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ariesasu

first of all thank you for answering me.second.when you say run more do you mean at a fast pace or just run at a normal pace-for me that is 6.5 miles/h(speed) i am sorry if i sound silly

is it true that Slowing down and increasing the distance works wonders.?

first of all thank you for answering me.second.when you say run more do you mean at a fast pace or just run at a normal pace-for me that is 6.5 miles/h(speed) i am sorry if i sound silly

is it true that Slowing down and increasing the distance works wonders.?

Both.  Run more, but mostly easy.Sometimes do a longer run (e.g 5 or 6 miles or more). Every couple days, run faster at varying speeds.

You need to do speed work.  However, even with that that's a pretty lofty goal to get that much faster in a month.  There are several different ways to do speed work.  If you really want to practice running fast and getting your heart rate up look up the guerilla workout.  It's intense. You can do track repeats.  Personally I do speed work on the treadmill - after a warmup doing 2 minute runs as fast as I can, a 2 minute cool down, then repeat for 5-6 times.  Also at the end of your runs try to run the last 100 yards or so as fast as you can.  It will train your fast twitch fibers to kick in when your legs are fatigued.

Good luck!  I hope you prove your husband wrong!

ariesasu

i know its a loooonng shot but i will give it everything i have.considering all the other aspects of my life(which i m not going to whine about here) i want to to my best

I have a HUGE respect for all of you since now i see how hard it is to do this and how much commitment it takes.And for anyone thinking that is easy..it is not.

THANK YOU for taking time to guide me a little bit.

Make sure to keep us posted - regardless of the outcome!

King of PhotoShop

Listen to milktruck.  Spareribs

Cyberic

I agree with milktruck, especially about the huge jump you want to make in one month.

When you say you run 3 miles in 25 minutes, I'm guessing that is in training, else it would probably be 3.1 miles (5K). If my assumption is correct, and you're willing to suffer on race day (again, I'm assuming the 4 mile run is actually a race), it might be feasible.

Good luck!

JanaLamb

I think it's better that you don't really focus on the time first, but on the distance instead. This is because you can do different forms of training that can help with your speed. Also, do longer and slower runs so you can build stamina.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

pedaling fool

Good morning.need a little advice.In a month i have a  4 mile run-my 1st-my dear husband said i won t be in the first 500-wanna proove him wrong-

i work out 5 days a week mixing cardio with weights and so on,

right now i do 3 miles in 25 min.How can i improve in 4 weeks so i can run 4 miles in 25-28 min?or better?

i can run 4 miles its not a matter of that its a matter of how can i do it faster?

i eat 30-40 min before i go workout and 30 min after i am done( a seed bar or something like that) i live a pretty healthy lifestyle

thank you all

I wonder how this worked out for you?

thats good