The one shirt you would never get rid of (Read 218 times)

King of PhotoShop

Today I put this post up on the Dallas Morning News running site and I'm getting a ton of mail. I thought you might enjoy it also and that it might trigger your own story.  What's the one shirt you would NEVER get rid of?  Spareribs

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/runningheadlines/2015/12/07/one-running-shirt-refuse-lose

spinach

Back in 1976 when I was in my second year in college I ran the New York Marathon. That was the first year the New york Marathon went through all five Burroughs.  That was also the year the Frank Shorter ran it.  Right after the start I saw frank about 10 meters ahead of me and so i sprinted ahead to catch him. i did but it took me about a half mile before i was able to pass him.  I did briefly get ahead of him, and I killed my marathon by running perhaps my fastest half mile ever, but it was a moment I won't foprget and i can honestly say i was ahead of Frank Shorter in a marathon.

Anyway i got my t shirt from the race, it was an ugly white t=-shirt with a silly ironed on picture of some 1970s looking runners in front of the Big Apple Probably the ugliest shirt I had.  I wore it a couple times after the race but it quickly got put away thinking I would never see it again.  A couple years ago i was going through some old boxes of stuff i had from college and I found the shirt.  It is still ugly but it is closing in on 40 years old and a definite keeper.  I doubt I would ever wear it again but it is my one keeper for ever now.

How do i insert a picture of it?

an amazing likeness

How do i insert a picture of it?

Take a picture of it.

Upload the picture to one of the many picture hosting sites.

Get the url (link) to picture from that site.

Use the "insert/edit image" link in the toolbar here (left of the smiley face icon).

Looking forward to seeing it!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

I've got two that have stuck around. They make me smile. In general, I'm not a keeper of stuff. I've thrown away all bibs, medals, and most race shirts that I've gotten from races mostly because I just find it annoying to have and look at junk around the house. So I think it's meaningful that I've still got a shirt from high school track. I was 15 years old. 1989 SICA WEST CONFERENCE CHAMPS VARSITY-SOPH is what it says on the back. I like having it..

I also still have the t-shirt from my first 5k in 1993. I was 19. That's when I first got the notion to run longer than a mile from a runner boyfriend at the time. I like having it too..

spinach

Take a picture of it.

Upload the picture to one of the many picture hosting sites.

Get the url (link) to picture from that site.

Use the "insert/edit image" link in the toolbar here (left of the smiley face icon).

Looking forward to seeing it!

This ain't working.

rmcj001

This ain't working.

Make sure the link doesn't require a password to access, that it is publicly accessible.  To check, open a second browser (as in not the one you are using, firefox if using chrome, ie if using firefox, etc) and access the URL of the picture you're trying to insert.

Ray

spinach

Hey I got it to work.  Here is my shirt from the 1976 New York Marathon

mikeymike

My favorite shirt was a yellow short sleeved t-shirt from the Chatinka Day's Outhouse Races. It's a thing--google it. My dad and his buddies won it when they went to Alaska for a few weeks to shoot off rockets when he worked for the Air Force geophysics lab. I was maybe 10. I inherited the shirt when I got to be high school age and wore it to track practice and under my football pads and to the beach and everywhere. I had it for many years after high school too--well after it was no longer presentable in public--but I'd still wear it to run in or work out in or whatever. It was the last thing I had of my dad's. I never got rid of it ... eventually I think it just disintegrated.

My junior year in high school my track team won the "High Five" award which is a thing Channel 5 in Boston does. A camera crew came out with Mike Lynch, the sports anchor and they interviewed our coach and the captains and they recorded us running and stuff. A couple decades later I was watching TV and there was a promo for a "High Five" retrospective of the last 30 years. And for second there we were, the middle distance runners, doing our quarters. I was wearing the Chatanika Days t-shirt, "jams shorts" (anyone from the 80's remember those?) and Nike racing flats.

The first thing I thought was: "Damn, we were fast." The second thing I thought was: "I miss that t-shirt."

Runners run

kcam

Great shirts Joann!  Spinach, that shirt is cheesy .... I love it!  Never give that baby up!

Here's the one I wouldn't get rid of .... This was a fund raiser for my daughter's school (go Eanes Mustangs!).  She was in Kindergarten and we ran the 'race' together and crossed the finish line together.  My first Mile Race.   I only wear it on special occasions (when she's in town).  She's 30 years old now. Sure do miss those days.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My favorite t-short from a race is so worn that I finally retired it. It's actually a rather plain, maybe even ugly t-shirt, but it was the first one I ever got at a race, and the race happened to be the 1972 AAU National Marathon Championship in Liverpool, NY. It was also a flat, fat, and beautiful course around one of the smaller Finger Lakes.

The race was also noted for being run under hot, humid conditions. At the start you could see vapor rising from the road surface from the overnight t-storm. All we had for aid were water stations every 3 miles with sponge stations halfway between. No sports drinks, no GU or nutrition of any type. For the day that was more than most races had. Usually we ran without any aid on the course.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

My favorite shirt was a yellow short sleeved t-shirt from the Chatinka Day's Outhouse Races. It's a thing--google it. My dad and his buddies won it when they went to Alaska for a few weeks to shoot off rockets when he worked for the Air Force geophysics lab. I was maybe 10. I inherited the shirt when I got to be high school age and wore it to track practice and under my football pads and to the beach and everywhere. I had it for many years after high school too--well after it was no longer presentable in public--but I'd still wear it to run in or work out in or whatever. It was the last thing I had of my dad's. I never got rid of it ... eventually I think it just disintegrated.

My junior year in high school my track team won the "High Five" award which is a thing Channel 5 in Boston does. A camera crew came out with Mike Lynch, the sports anchor and they interviewed our coach and the captains and they recorded us running and stuff. A couple decades later I was watching TV and there was a promo for a "High Five" retrospective of the last 30 years. And for second there we were, the middle distance runners, doing our quarters. I was wearing the Chatanika Days t-shirt, "jams shorts" (anyone from the 80's remember those?) and Nike racing flats.

The first thing I thought was: "Damn, we were fast." The second thing I thought was: "I miss that t-shirt."

Great stuff, Mike.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        Joann Y

+1 Yeah, truly good stuff.

King of PhotoShop

I am absolutely in awe!  I read all these this morning and loved every one.  The history, the emotion. "My first "this"..."  "My dad...", stories that really touched me.  Spinach, I ran NY in 1977, and the shirt was almost as bad!

Thank you all so much.  I'm writing a follow up column in two weeks (the Dallas Marathon is this Sunday so I have to write about that) and I'll post the link here.  I'm giving away a lot of socks with this one. Many of the stories are quite moving.  Spareribs

Joann Y

Hey I got it to work.  Here is my shirt from the 1976 New York Marathon

This is a great t-shirt spinach, I would totally wear it. I really enjoyed your story as well. Last night (for some reason) I had dreams of Frank Shorter and a mural in Boulder. Huh.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have the shirt from the first race I ran. I first ran the charleston distance run in 77 but I only have the 78 shirt

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes