Too much cardio... (Read 3039 times)

A new sign in my gym reads, "Too much cardio can increase body fat... ask us why." I didn't bother to ask, but thought it might be fun to throw out there to see what inane theories we can come up with; they'll probably be at least as good as what my gym's managers came up with.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

We should ask the Kenyans about this.... Sounds like typical jock type mumbo jumbo......

Champions are made when no one is watching

...listen to the thunder

http://www.fitness-nutrition-weightloss.com/too-much-cardio-can-make-you-fat.html I think this is what they are referring to. A slowing metabolism if you don't fuel properly and then if you quit, you get fatter. Not true if you eat right and don't quit though. Big grin

Run, Eat, Repeat.

SMART Approach

I am assuming they are pushing their "personal training" services and to encourage more weight training to illicit more change in a person's appearance by adding muscle and also promoting the metabolic effects of more muscle. Those who push the "super slow" method of training are not strong advocates of cardiovascular training. Adding consistent, full body weight training will change the look of your body. Of course, if you want to perform better in races you need to be smart about your weight lifting. I know, I continue to lift but have gone from 196 lbs 175 lbs. My body feels better and I am faster. I do miss the muscle though but have a more sleek look but look normal in clothes now.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A new sign in my gym reads, "Too much cardio can increase body fat... ask us why." I didn't bother to ask, but thought it might be fun to throw out there to see what inane theories we can come up with; they'll probably be at least as good as what my gym's managers came up with.
            Nate: Would you mind actually asking them and share what their reasoning would be? I'd be curious... pnthuntr: Thanks for the link. To me, yet another case of "whoever posts on the wonderful world of website will become an expert and the content will become 'the fact'..." It's all relative. Yes, your body will become very efficient and, after a while, you will not lose weigh like you may have in the very beginning when you started out running. I'd be very curious to see how much they are talking about is actually "too much cardio". When I was running, mostly aerobic running, somewhere around 90 miles a week, I never had to worry about what I eat or how much I eat to stay slim. Now 30~40MPW won't quite cut it and I'd have to watch what I eat and how much. You'll need to clear what your objective is; to lose weight (and lose weight alone) or to perform well in running. Quite often, when body fat is replaced by muscles, your weight actually increases. If you stop running in the early stage because of that, you'll lose al the eventual benefit. Tchuck: Good to see your post again. You've been away for a while or I've been looking wrong places? ;o)
            wyerock

Even after reading that link, I still think they have the wording wrong. Cardio does not increase body fat. Consuming too many calories increases body fat.
              So what happens when we chose to cardio ourselves to death for 1 hour or more a day while cutting our food intake in half?
              I find it hard to believe that anyone putting in 7 hours of cardio a week and cutting their calorie intake by half will be able to increase body fat regardless of how well they adapt. Unless they cut 8000 calories down to 4000 calories, I don't see it happening. The more likely scenario is 30 minutes of half-ass cardio with less than 20 minutes in the zone, and cutting their calories from 3500 to 3000 and expecting to suddenly be thin.
              mikeymike

What the hell is cardio?

Runners run

Dave

What the hell is cardio?
                  From the article:
                  Excessive cardio, like a hurricane wind, blows out the fat burning flame because it because the body's hormones to "bottom out" and metabolism goes south. This response is even more severe if you "go on a diet" and the same time. Some exercise (air) is necessary to burn fat, and weight training with accessory cardio accomplishes this. Most people fail because they focus on burning calories. Who cares about burning calories? We want to burn fat'not calories.
                  Makes sense to me. Its all about the fat burning flame. I know mines been looking might weak lately.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

On the other hand...since being injured and now stopping running, I do find that I gain faster than I did before. Dunno if that is because of becoming more "metabolically efficient" or getting older or what. I do know I have NOT wasted my muscle away with all my cardio. I have more muscle than I did before.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

Damn so you're saying my hormones can "bottom out"? That sounds bad.

Runners run

I quit the team junior year of college so I went from 50-60 miles per week to zero. I also turned 21 a couple months later. When I got to school at the end of August I was 172, when I left in May I was 217. It takes your metabolism a while to adjust either way - to a vast increase in net calories or a significant decrease. Especially when you are killing a case of beer every few days. I know why that sign is there. Many people go to the gym to lose weight. If they lose the weight, they may cancel their membership. Cardio will make you lose weight. So its in the gym's best interest for $ to keep you there as long as possible, so they'll keep you away from the stuff that makes you lose weight. The other reason why people go is to look good on the beach. So they get the folks to lift weights so they can flex a bicep or thigh. Plus for some people ANY exercise is more than they've done before, so they'll still lose a little weight even when lifting, as it does burn calories.
                        mikeymike

On the other hand...since being injured and now stopping running, I do find that I gain faster than I did before. Dunno if that is because of becoming more "metabolically efficient" or getting older or what. I do know I have NOT wasted my muscle away with all my cardio. I have more muscle than I did before.
                          Sorry sister it's called BEING OLD.

Runners run

Menace to Sobriety

What the hell is cardio?
                            Its either the latest hipity hopper, as in "Lil' Cardio" or a new flavor of G.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://www.fitness-nutrition-weightloss.com/too-much-cardio-can-make-you-fat.html I think this is what they are referring to. A slowing metabolism if you don't fuel properly and then if you quit, you get fatter. Not true if you eat right and don't quit though. Big grin
                              Ahah. Here is the source of the campfire and metabolism metaphor used in a prior thread (that I can't find at the moment). The metaphor is pushed well beyond its limits and really does not follow. The premise is, as pointed out above, that loads of cardio leads to less weight loss than the exercisor expected, so they stop just as their muscles become efficient and so they gain back far more weight than they lost. The metaphor is this: Our body is a campfire, exercise is air and food is wood. If we decrease the wood and increase the air (i.e., as wind), the fire will get blown out. After that, the wood that keeps getting put on the fire accumulates (i.e., you begin to gain weight). The specific words: "Your body has a fat burning engine that we can compare to a campfire. To turn the engine on you will need the proper mix of wood (nutrition) and air (exercise) to keep the flames (metabolism) burning fat." Erm, okay. Some points: 1. In the metaphor, the fire going out logically means that the person dies. Um, okay. I know that the metaphor says that the "fat burning engine" dies and somehow that the "slow metabolism" remains. Erm, okay. Fat burning metabolism IS slow burning metabolism (as opposed to the carb burning that happens at high effort) AND the body always burns both fat and carbs in varying combinations. So the only way for the fat burning fire to stop in real physiology is for all metabolism to stop. Which happens when you die. 2. To be correct, you would need to increase the partial pressure of oxygen in the metaphor, not the wind velocity. An increase in PPO2 would increase the flame despite a decrease in wood, and the wood would continue to burn until it is gone. 3. The metaphor REQUIRES that the fire stops (which, presumably, means that you die but somehow keep eating and exercising) for the weight gain to happen. I am not quite sure how this works in the real world. 4. The metaphor is based on the premise that exercise would stop and weight gain would then happen (well, duh). But in the world of the metaphor, exercise (i.e., air) going away would cause the fire to extinguish (i.e., we would again die since a fire requires air). So if I were to stop exercising, I would die? And also gain weight? In sum: bad bad bad metaphor. And the physiology it proposes is wrong UNLESS you include that a period of exercise is followed by a period of nonexercise while food intake remains the same. Well, duh.
                              Slo

Nice summation Trent.....Thanks Qx though.......Our bodies do get more efficient at burning fat don't they ? (talking about endurance training here) E.g. Requireing less to get the same results.