Which running books would you recommend? (Read 1581 times)

I am a new runner, and only recently completed the couch to 5K. I am looking for more info on the sport and was wondering if you could recommend some books that you found helpful. Thanks
      Scott, you might be interested in this group.
        Thank You. That is exactly what I was looking for.
          I recommend The Complete Runner's Hanbookby Bob Glover. His running classes in Central Park were not for me, but I like his book. It is big and covers everything!
          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
            find books by Dr. George Sheehan.... Fixx's two books are also good....
            Carps10

Daniels' Running Formula.
                I finished the C25K program late last year, so am still a beginner with only a few short races under my belt, and I agree on the recommendation on the Bob Glover book:
                I recommend The Complete Runner's Hanbookby Bob Glover.
                It's comprehensive without being packed full of hyper-technical training info that's overwhelming for a beginner (if you're anything like me, you don't really have a race pace and knowing how to pace yourself is still limited to run/walk) I did also quite enjoy Hal Higdon's marathon book and John Bingham's "No Need For Speed". Neither is as comprehensive as Bob Glover's book (and I suspect you'd very quickly outgrow them), but both are inspiring for a newbie who loves to read about running. I've read a couple of the Galloway books, but they seem to have way too much white space for my taste - I like my books dense.
                  Runners World, Complete Book of Running, by Amby Burfoot

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I recommend The Complete Runner's Hanbookby Bob Glover.
                    I'll second that. It's kind of a KISS book--gives the basics and good advice. This is one of the books I grabbed when cobbling together my marathon training plan.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Daniels' Running Formula.
                        Agreed. Awsome book. Second Edition is more geared for recreational runners, but definitely geared towards training for performance at any level, whether the goal is a 25 min 5K or 15 min 5K
                          Tim Noakes Lore of Running http://www.amazon.com/Lore-Running-Timothy-D-Noakes/dp/088011438X
                          Dude, I love this book! Especially the chapter on the experience of great runners. I love Ironman Mark Allen's realization that he had to win the race based on the "terms of the race" instead of on his "own terms". Very insightful. That helps me when I'm dying in the last mile of a 5k and I just wanna quit, but I keep on going since I haven't reached the finnish line yet. Jeff
                          ud32

For enjoyment try - Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear

De-slacking in progress

I was going to buy books also, but you can google just about any of the info thats found in all of those books. The single one thing that made me not buy a book: a web site called Runningahead.com Free advice, fairly good search engine for anything that you're looking for. You have a question- experienced people are here to help you for free. You have speed demons, apes, gorillas, flying monkeys, doctors, youngesters, old folks(sorry- mature)snails and everything in between- new stories and advice every hour. RA is my running book.....

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Programmed to Run by Thomas Miller made the single biggest improvement in my running. It contains a lot of excellent information on form as well as numerous drills and exercises to help improve it. Tom