Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Running a half marathon under 1:30 or whatever - sure, some people can do that off nothing, and blow us amateurs out the water.

Let's see someone who's not running do a set of say 8 mile repeats, keeping each one under  5 minutes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why doesn't your little green man move like brats did? 

Anyway, I don't think it has been said clear enough in this thread so here goes.

The Run More, Run Easy mantra is suppose to get someone to their max potential. This doesn't mean that someone else can't run faster than another person on less miles, it just means the person running less miles is probably not hitting their potential.

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JimR

I am going to go against the flow here.  I too am not seeing any improvement after changing to a run more run easy training programme

maybe you should have actually tried it.

But my first and only half marathon time is faster than your PB .

You have got to be kidding me. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

Hey Jeff, your blog looks awesome.  I'm gonna have to have a read!!   Fast HM time too!  My kids teacher ran 1:10 the other day on hardly any miles....obviously some "have it" when it comes to running, some have to work work work!!

That's right man. The key, I've found, was just to "have it." Not sure why everyone else hasn't figured that out.

MrH

That's right man. The key, I've found, was just to "have it." Not sure why everyone else hasn't figured that out.

Because they are not running hard enough.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Why is it sideways?

Because they are not running hard enough.

Oh yeah, that's it. Either that or they're not running easy enough. One or the other MUST be The Secret.

MrH

Oh yeah, that's it. Either that or they're not running easy enough. One or the other MUST be The Secret.

Think lots, mostly easy, some hard.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why doesn't your little green man move like brats did? 

Cause he's weak, and he doesn't do enough quality runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

One thing that "vinodrinker" is onto, perhaps, is that the running log is not the be-all end-all of someone's training. I have a good friend who regularly wins 50k trail races off of 25-35 miles of running per week. He runs all of those miles hard, close to marathon pace. 

But, he's an avalanche forecaster, and his job entails 4-6 hours of backcountry skiiing every day. During the summer he works as a climbing ranger and basically climbs a mountain every day. So, there's a background there that is not in his log.

Most folks are RA are desk jockeys, and they need to use their running to provide the general aerobic support that my buddy gets in his daily job. That aerobic support needs to be done at about the effort that my buddy uses when he's on the job, just skiiing around or hiking in the backcountry. That's what I'm doing with most of my running. In fact, my training week last week looks a lot like my buddy's normal training week: 20 or so miles of faster paced running backed up by a ton of just easy moving down the road. 

So, if vinorunner is an acitve dude, getting lots of hours out climbing and hiking and what have you, then he can more profitably go harder in his day to day running. But if you are sitting at a desk right now, you've got to use some of your running time just reminding your body that it knows how to move.

Hey, I resemble that comment.

A Saucy Wench

great.  now friends are emailing me about this "great new running technique called run less run faster"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I'd rather get that from friends than "Wow! I just got a free ipad!"

Stop clicking that damn link, people.