Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

Why is it sideways?

Ha.

Of course this same buddy also knows that the fatigue he gets from his regular job limits his running. He knows he'd be faster if he ran 80-100mpw, but he can't because of fatigue from his daily work.

So, the lesson is what: 6 hours of cross training daily plus a hard 30 minute run is almost as good as 60-90 minutes of easy running a day plus a couple of hard workouts.

It should also be mentioned that this guy paid his dues as a runner, running a full college program for 4 years.

Does it work? Whatever you’re doing now either is or isn’t improving your times (or getting you to your goals). If it is, and you’re satisfied with the improvement, then keep doing it. If it isn’t or you’re dissatisfied, try something else, if you can.

Me, I have time for 14 miles a week. That’s my life. I couldn’t run more if I wanted to, because there’s no time (or really, it’s my choice to allocate enough time to running to accommodate 14 miles). I run those miles pretty hard. It’s all I’ve got, and it’s great fun. I’m quite certain that I could race loads faster if I ran more. As is, I work on racing incrementally faster with what I give myself. My race times are still improving, though probably more due to mental prep than any fitness gain. I understand, at some point I'll reach the limit of my potential at 14 miles. Not there yet.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have time for 14 miles a week

I have lots of free time to give to running.  Lots and lots and lots.  And lots.  An easy job and no personal ties or other commitments.  It is awesome.  I could run hundreds of miles per week if I were so inclined.

xor

Somebody needs a hug.

dennrunner

I understand, at some point I'll reach the limit of my potential at 14 miles. Not there yet.

Yes, soon.  Very soon.

Why is it sideways?

All that someone can do in a message board thread is lay out an ideal. The fact that the training ideal is not possible with the life that you live is no argument against the best way to train.

The greatest challenge of training for the quixotically committed runner is organizing the rest of life such that his or her training can most closely approximate the ideal. For those of us who enjoy it, the training is easy; it's fitting it among other enjoyable and less enjoyable priorities that can be hard.

I think running is a great sport because you can get pretty close to maxing out your performance on 10 hours a week of training. Try that in cycling or swimming...the time commitments there are almost double.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but I have lots of time.

Ten hrs a week really isn't that much time either. Well, until you look at the fact that each workout takes longer than the time it takes to run. An hour run takes me about an hour an 30 minutes.

All that someone can do in a message board thread is lay out an ideal. The fact that the training ideal is not possible with the life that you live is no argument against the best way to train.

I'm not in disagreement, and acknowledge that my training is less than would be necessary for me to run as fast as I can. It's constrained. I'm at peace with it. I know, if I reaaaaaaaaaaaly wanted it, i'd find more time.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ten hrs a week really isn't that much time either

Yeah, but I have lots and lots of time.

Why is it sideways?

Ten hrs a week really isn't that much time either. Well, until you look at the fact that each workout takes longer than the time it takes to run. An hour run takes me about an hour an 30 minutes.

True. All you folks are busy people, I'm sure. And when you're not busy, you're busy looking busy. Or surfing the internet while watching TV while dinner's being microwaved. It's a hard life, but someone's got to live it.

Yeah, but I have lots and lots of time.

each time you post here, you have less time for running :-)

Slo

I understand, at some point I'll reach the limit of my potential at 14 miles. Not there yet.

I suspect it won't take long.

Good thread though.....I just emailed to a friend who buys into the FIRST / HIIT stuff. I suggested he read this thread......His weekly recap in his training log goes;

Actual Excerpt from email:

I started this email once, I know I did.
                            Run 23 miles
                            Swim 45 mins
                            Mnt bike 1hr45 mins
                            It was an overall good week.  The speed work is coming around nicely.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Who says I am not running?

xor

I save time by not showering.