Arbutus Firecracker 10K (Read 2213 times)

It was surprisingly cool this morning - mid to high 60s, so that was very nice. I got to the race around 7:00, picked up my tshirt (totally fuglicious, will post a picture in the "ugly tshirt thread" later), and sat in my car for 20 minutes reviewing Evidence and Contracts & Sales flashcards. I jogged for 10ish minutes to warm up, chatted with some friendly runners, and got ready to start. My stomach was very knotty during the Star Spangled Banner. I'm just getting really nervous about the Bar and so regular race nerves became uber crazy race nerves. The first couple miles went okay. The course has lots of "rolling hills" so that made it kind of tough. The locals put out sprinklers, which was really nice, even though I kind of did feel like I was entering a wet tshirt contest. Mile 4 felt really long. Mile 5 went by pretty quickly. Mile 6 was completely uphill and that was rough. I kicked it to the finish I got my water and watermelon. Watched as results were posted: Ack! I came in fourth in my age group (age 20-29)! ... soclose. 10 km in 49:23 // 7:57 pace. It's not a PR, but I'm happy that I broke 50 minutes again. Me, in my patriotic running clothes:
    2009: BQ?
      Nice race! Cute picture!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lookit you in that sexy skirt! Big grin Sounds like you had a great race, too--and 4th is nothing to sneeze at. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nice race- sounds like a challenging course!
          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice job!
            sat in my car for 20 minutes reviewing Evidence and Contracts & Sales flashcards.
            Had you PR'd, would this have become a permanent part of your pre-race ritual? Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nice report, great time. Uphill final mile, gotta love it when races end like that! Roll eyes Funny about the sprinklers, I've wondered the same thing when running hot day races and the locals have the sprinklers and hoses out. *lol*

Michelle

What is up with the yellow cap? Tongue Are you going to give us an hour by hour run down of your bar exam? modal (who wants to run a 10K in 48 minutes)

Vim

Slow-smooth-fast

nice report. can i just say you look damn sexy. Is it me or does there seen to be a tendancy that results in usa are not as fast as in uk. I mean to say that with a time of 49 that would not be as god in uk. Average uk female 10 k time for 4th place would be sub 40. I question this because when i posted one of my previous times everyone from usa sad that it was a quick time but in uk I was in 44% range.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Nice job, Trishie! One day I'll run a sub-50 10k, too. Bonus points for patriotic dress.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks, guys! Big grin
                      2009: BQ?

Member Since 2008

Way to go Trish, Nice Race report.

Member Since 2008

Oh, and I like your yellow hat!!!!