Should you rest between seasons of a school sport? (Read 547 times)

For all three seasons of my school sports, I plan run. People say you should take a break between seasons, but I'm not sure? Should you take a break between seasons, and if so, how long should the break be?
    Lane

From my experience, the week's rest is a mental thing. If you need it to keep from burning out, then go for it, and do something else that you usually don't get the opportunity to do, or cross train, or just relax. I never needed it, and often didn't take the break, and it was easier to transition between seasons without stopping and having to start again.
        Thanks for the advice.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Did you ask your coach? My son's high school coach is usually very specific about what he should do between seasons.
            My coach has said nothing about what to do between seasons. Between XC and track, I did take a break, but I don't think it helped me. However, I'm worried that if I don't take a break, I will get burned out quicker.
              Most of the people are my team, at least the more "serious" ones continue running all through the year, but tone down their mileage quite a bit and don't worry about times at all. I know from experience that running for say, 5 months, and then stopping completely for another 3 makes the first few weeks of return training hard and frustrating.
                How many miles would you recommend?

SMART Approach

Youshould give yourself a little time but don't stop running. Focus on base training with a little quality mixed in but no fast intervals. How many miles per week were you running this past season and what were your workouts like? The below thread (with Tinman answering similar question) will probably answer your question. http://www.therunzone.com/VB/showthread.php?t=836&highlight=high+school+season

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dfffff

I have only taken two days off since the end of cross country. Rest is for the weak.
                    Jacob Fern

When I was in HS, my coach always recommended a week or so of "active rest". Basically, that meant that I could take a break from running if I wanted, but I should still be doing some sort of cross training in that time. I always ran anyway, but I would only go for very short, easy runs. It's also a good time to do some biking, swimming, or hiking (which, I'll admit, isn't that easy in the winter). I agree that it's a mental thing a lot of times... Your body may not need to take a break, but if you are feeling at all bored with running, I would suggest taking a little time off. When you get back into it, you won't have lost any of your base, and you'll be excited to run again. Don't feel bad about taking some time off. There's nothing worse than forcing yourself to go out and run everyday when you don't like it anymore. If you love the sport, you won't need to force yourself to do it, and you'll be better than ever. Good luck with your running!
                        Thanks. I will probably take a little active rest.
                          How many miles would you recommend?
                          i would say about 40-60% of your highest weekly mileage. i like that time of year because you can just listen to your body, go how you feel and not ever worry about time. it's awesome!