Weekly Training Summaries -- week ending 5/4/08 (Read 360 times)

Feeling the growl again

M - 3.5 miles easy, then baby woke T - 10.5 miles with 4 mile tempo 5:37 pace W - off R - 6 miles easy F - 6 miles easy Sa - 2 mile warmup, half marathon 1:16:07 Su - 6 miles easy 6:20 pace, man I felt good Total for week - 47 miles My watch died and I lost my splits but it went something like this (goal sub-1:15, stretch sub-1:14): Mile 1 - 5:25 - too fast, consciously slowed Mile 2 - 5:34 Miles 3-7 - 5:4X, on pace but felt crappy Mile 8 - tweaked hip flexor, felt more crappy, gave up. Miles 8-10 - ran around 6:15s, just wanted to be done Miles 10 - was told I was in 62nd place, got really angry I wasn't even in the top 50. Put the hammer down. Mile 11 - 6:00 Mile 12 - 5:43 Mile 13 - 5:37 1:16:07 -- 2nd slowest half marathon ever. Even for my crappy training this was a disappointing result. But I am telling myself it is partly related to just not doing enough racing and fast tempo work. I deduced this from the fact that despite being unable to speed up during the middle of the race and feeling like hell, within an hour I felt like I hadn't even raced and the next day I did an easy 6-miler without looking at my watch and it was really fast and I felt good. I'm going to see if I can race a little more frequently and do some 6-8 mile tempo runs and see if it helps.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills