Did my First "10K" race (Read 642 times)

Well after dreaming about running a marathon all night long I had no problem waking up at the crack of dawn so that I could get ready and head down to my first "10K" race. Weather was allright (a little hot for my taste but could of been much worse). Drive down was nice and quiet. Didn't forget anything except something to eat before the race (stopped and got a banana) We were bused within a half mile of where the race was supposed to start. Turns out route had changed a bit and instead of starting half mile up the hill were the start was supposed to be we had a nice suprise of starting with a nice little hill. So much for an all downhill course lol. (Of course even with that hill it wasn't completely downhill). Dh and I talked about stragedy last night and had decided that I should start out around an 8:15 mile pace for the first few miles then step it up the last two miles or so. Well first mile was 8:17 . Mile two was at an 8:02 minute pace, which was a little faster than what I had planned. Wasn't a huge crowd so I didn't have a many targets to pass. Pretty much stayed in my comfort zone until mile 6 then realized I hadn't stepped it up like I had planned. At this point there was only two people that we're even near enough for me to pass (which I did). One was a guy I had chatted with a bit on the bus and the other was a woman I was chatting with right before the race started. I passed the guy before getting into the stadium where the race finished and I passed the woman somewhere in the stadium. Of course I was quite confused by that time. My garmin had me WELL OVER 6.2 miles and as we entered the stadium I ran over one of those orange things (timer things I think?) . Of course that wasn't the finish so I see a guy a little ways away and another orange thing. So I kick it up and am running past threshold. Guess what , it wasn't the finish. So I keep running full force , feeling nautious, overheating with the sun BEATING down on me and FINALLY I see the big finish line tucked in after you rounded the third corner of the track. Making my time 53:10 (7:24 pace for the last .6 mile) and was told I was the 10th female. The woman I passed followed suit and caught up to me at where they had the water and congratulated me on my great finish. Then mentioned how dissappointed she was in her time etc etc etc. Ended up hearing that alot. Found out a little later that the 6.2 was from the original start so that made me and everyone else happier. I was 2nd out of my age group (35-39) but they only recognized the first place in each age group. Such is my life. I didn't mind at all considering I wasn't sure even at the start that I would even be able to finish it. The overall female finished in 44:56 ( has done 41:03 on a course that wasn't mostly downhill like this one was) All in all I'm very happy with how I ran the race. Despite planning on pushing it the last couple miles, I didn't. Probably much smarter and may have even helped me finish the run. Best part is I wasn't limping until AFTER the drive home lol Modified to add.looks like I was 3rd in my age group Modified to add found out my age group was 31-40 which would of been 6th (gotta love 6) so no award. I guess additional awards (2 &3rd) we're to be given out at the baseball game that we recieved tickets for. Damn I want to be faster. Can't even imagine doing a 10k in 41:03 let alone 44:56 on a easy fast course with a little extra milage.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Your 1st 10K. Wow, I am sort of surprised. No prior 10k. Well, you had a great pace for running in the heat. modal (who needs to check out your workout dvd series from netflix so he can get a rocken-dude body Smile)

Vim

Awesome placing, Pam! Congrats on your first 10k. Too bad about no trophy to bring home for your efforts - seems weird that they didn't do at least a little something for the first 3 in each age group. Was this a club run or something? Anyway, nice job - especially in the heat!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks Tim & Mike! They only recognized first in age group and gave them trophies. Supposedly it was supposed to be 3 deep for females in my age group. Oh well. I wasn't the only one suprised.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great job, Pam--and on an injured ankle, nonetheless! Wonder why they did such a large AG?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kenny

ooops dh's account.
                Great job, Pam--and on an injured ankle, nonetheless! Wonder why they did such a large AG?
                Pretty sure it has to do with the running club that is in charge of the race. I thought it was one, turned out it was the other. It gets confusing to figure out who exactly is running the event when one of the clubs has been incharge of timing some of the events that the other club was in charge of. Make sense Confused And Thanks Kirsten!! Just hope the ankle keeps getting better as well any issue that stems up due to the injury.

Most excellent, Pam--especially for your first 10K! That's a pretty large AG for a 10K. Well, a virtual ribbon (or medal--take your pick) from us. Congrats on a well-run race. A few more 10K's to get your strategy fine-tuned and you'll really be flying.
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    I passed the guy before getting into the stadium where the race finished and I passed the woman somewhere in the stadium. Of course I was quite confused by that time. My garmin had me WELL OVER 6.2 miles and as we entered the stadium I ran over one of those orange things (timer things I think?) . Of course that wasn't the finish so I see a guy a little ways away and another orange thing. So I kick it up and am running past threshold. Guess what , it wasn't the finish. So I keep running full force , feeling nautious, overheating with the sun BEATING down on me and FINALLY I see the big finish line tucked in after you rounded the third corner of the track. Making my time 53:10 (7:24 pace for the last .6 mile) and was told I was the 10th female.
                    Just saw this - didn't realize it was your 1st 10K - great job! I love reading your racing reports as well. Ouch - WTG in maintaining that pace to get to the finish Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Thanks Don and Cheryl!! Yep very first one and can't wait to get more under my belt. One of the real cool things that has come out of the race is that I talked to a local guy who I've seen at almost every one of my last 3-4 races. We we're talking about marathons. He's run the Lehigh Valley Relay which was 23 miles, but this year will be a full marathon. He raved about the course. Said it's mostly cinder and how they just redid all the cinder and how much easier it is on the legs. Definetly sounds like a great bet for last long training run before Steamtown in October. Dh is now reconsidering "letting" me (us) do it. BTW the gentleman I was talking to is has the same plan dh and I we're thinking about, with an additional marathon (marine corps).