Shin Splints (Read 745 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

I feel like I'm starting to get shin splints. My shoes are newish (less than 100 miles on them) and I am otherwise healthy... So, my question, what do you do to prevent shin splints when you first start to feel them coming on?

Bring it on.

If you do not have them when you are running uphill then either: a) your shoes might just have too much of a heel lift. b) you are overstriding and landing too much on your heel. I can also see that you've ramped your mileage suddenly and kept it high. I'd just take it very easy for two weeks if I were you.
      Jill_B

I fly.

Actually, my mileage isn't really ramped up, I didn't keep a strict log until recently - I have been running about 25-30 miles a week for a while.

Bring it on.

OK.. where is the pain? Anterior/posterior medial/lateral? From my own personal experience, anterior lateral usually means a combination of too heavy heel landings, too heavy shoes, too high heels, overstriding. I had generalised pain in a hard-to-determine location after I did a lot of bounding/jumping drills (which makes sense, since you have to use a lot more stabilising muscles and I was probably not used to that). In any case, you will have to avoid the activity that causes pain until it gets better. Maybe you can do that by easy running on hills/soft surfaces/barefoot and some cross-training.