Is it bad to run with various knee bands? (Read 546 times)

derek

I've been running with a patella strap on the my right knee for some time now. My left knee has been giving me a lot of problems recently, both below the knee cap and on the outside above the knee cap...possibly the IT band. I tried to do a 10-mile run today, but after 4 miles, my left IT band felt so bad, I decided to move my patella strap from my right knee and put it just above my knee cap on my left knee. That alleviated the IT pain and I was to run a couple more miles (it was hurting so badly before, that if I didn't take this corrective action, I would have had to abandon my run). Unfortunately, my right patella started to hurt again since I no longer had the band on it, and my left patella started to hurt too. I had to stop my run after 6 miles. I figure that if I have THREE bands, one on my right knee and 2 on my left knee, I might be able to run without any pain. Is it bad to start depending on these things to keep running? I'm not currently experiencing any post-run pain, swelling, or discomfort. I have started doing post-run stretching and quad strengthening exercises for the last 2 weeks.

Derek

Scout7

I would be concerned about the IT band issues. It's good that you've started stretching / strengthening for it, but I would definitely work on taking care of it, before it gets much worse. If it starts to flair up like that, I would say that you've already gone too far / hard for that run.
      derek

I made an appt to see a Sports Medicine speciliast on Thursday. I've been reluctant to see a doctor as I don't want to be told to stop running. I guess ignorance is bliss. I'm really hoping it's something easily fixable like getting new shoes or orthotics and that I wouldn't need to stop running for days or weeks on end. This is not the way I wanted to start the New Year!!

Derek

Scout7

Heh. Tell me about it. I managed to somehow catch the head cold from h3!! last week. Whatever the doc says, though, follow it. Better to take care of it now than later when it's really debilitating.