Garmin 305 Losing satellites (Read 52 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

A few weeks ago I managed to lose my trusty 305 during our move.  I bought a used 305 online.  The problem, it finds satellites when I place it outside but as soon as I hit "start" to begin the workout and start running it loses satellite reception within the first 10th o f a mile.  Then during my entire run satellite reception comes and goes but mostly it doesn't lock on.  I've tried clearing the GPS cache per Garmin and doing a hard reset and the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?

Is the watch bad?

Thanks,

You people have issues 

an amazing likeness

Is the watch bad?

That would be my guess from what you describe. Sounds like the internal satellite antennae connection is corroded / busted or something.  One last ditch thing to try is to update / reload the firmware in it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

That would be my guess from what you describe. Sounds like the internal satellite antennae connection is corroded / busted or something.  One last ditch thing to try is to update / reload the firmware in it.

Garmin Connect says the firmware is up to date (version 2.80)  How ould I reload the firmware?

You people have issues 

Garmin Connect says the firmware is up to date (version 2.80)  How ould I reload the firmware?

There are actually two sets of firmware (or software) on the 305.  There is the unit software and also a GPS Chipset.

Looking at Garmin's website (here) has the following versions:

- Unit Software:  Forerunner 305, Ver. 2.90, as of Apr 22, 2009

- GPS Chipset:  Forerunner 205/305 GPS Chipset , Ver. 3.00, as of Nov 12, 2007

So there seems to be a higher version than what Garmin Express is indicating.  I think for both of them you can download the executable and when you run it, it will update the firmware with out going through Garmin Express.

I saw this note on the download page that may be relevant, so I included it.

• IMPORTANT: Forerunner software versions 2.60 and greater are NOT compatible with versions of Training Center for Windows prior to 3.2.0 and versions of MotionBased Agent prior to 2.3.0.1. Forerunner software versions 2.60 and greater are compatible with all versions of Training Center for Mac. You can download the latest version of Training Center at garmin.com and the latest version of MotionBased Agent at motionbased.com.

If these don't work you could also try rolling back the firmware to another version to see if that works too.

Good luck.  I love me Forerunner 305 and would hate for it to be broken.

Scott

an amazing likeness

Check out this Garmin web page for downloads. You may also need their little "Garmin WebUpdater" app to load the firmware to the 305, can't recall all the details off the top of my head...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I bit the bullet and I'm doing the $98 exchange with Garmin for a refurbished 305.  Between the cost of the broken one and the refurb from Garmin it is still half the price of a new one so I guess I can't complain.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

You people have issues