motion control shoes and orthotics (Read 866 times)

This appeared briefly and I can't find out if it was ever answered. Do you wear your motion control orthotics in your motion control shoes? This is a question I have never run accross and am stumped. I went from stability shoes to motion control and I am having a bit of trouble...
      I have heard every answer under the sun on this one and have come to the conclusion that there is no one answer: 1) When I got my orthotics, my Dr. insisted I move to a neutral shoe, saying that going stability or motion control would be over-compensation. 2) I posed the same question to JD Denton, the "Shoe Guy" in Running Times. His answer: With most runners, however, the shoe needs to provide some level of similar support provided by the orthotics in order to support the orthotics. Generally, I put all over-pronators in shoes with some stability features, regardless of whether they have orthotics. The orthotics may allow the runner to wear a less stable shoe than otherwise, but not always. 3) My co-worker just got orthotics, and his doc said he should stay in motion control shoes, because he needed all the help he could get. * In my own experience, for the first year I had orthotics, I wore stability shoes and still had some lingering knee pain, which left when I moved to neutral shoes. (Disclaimer: I AM currently injured, but am blaming that on stupidity and overtraining - not shoes.)

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I am not a severe overpronator and I just bought Asics 2120 shoes. I am thinking about going to a higher end insole and no orthotic. My Chiropractor thinks I supinate on one side and pronate on the other...maybe I just run like a drunk....first time I went for a run with the orthotics in the new shoes...much shin pain...could have been a case of too much too soon also. any thoughts or opinions??
        finney

Resident pinniped

My Chiropractor thinks I supinate on one side and pronate on the other
          If your shoes, legs, and hips look even remotely alike and you don't have a severe muscularskeletal problem, this is very unlikely. I hedge to say impossible, but I'd get another opinion. I'm a moderate overpronator with orthotics, and wear neutral shoes. Haven't had any problems in neutral shoes since I got my orthotics. I think it's just a matter of finding what works for you, regardless of what you have or don't have.

Bugs

You probably want a neutral shoe. I started wearing orthotics this fall. I was having pain here and pain there, but nothing major. I was swimming and biking so my miles were down, but it seemed like there was always something stopping me from running. When I stopped the XTing, and started to pick up my miles just a bit I was plagued with everything; tight calves, perional tendonities, achills tendious, etc.. Long story short it was wearing the orthotics in my stability (Brooks Trance) shoes causing me to over-correct. I'm now playing with neutal w. orthotics, and just my stability shoes thinking of forgetting the orthotics. My feet are not that bad and I'm trying to strengthen them. I added a little felt under my left arch because it's higher than the other one. My pace went up 20-30 seconds per mile faster when I went back to my old shoes no orthotics. My only advice is pay big attention to little pains when your making changes with your feet.

Bugs

good thoughts both of you. I am thinking of going to some good inserts in my shoes and just running without the orthotics in my shoes. I was doing just fine before I got these orthotics..just need to get off of 12 hourdays/7day per week work so I can get to the running store. In addition, I will go find a Podiatrist...I just moved to Illinois and had to leave my great doctor up there. The new orthotics my Chiropractor gave me may be okay in my running shoes as they are more high end inserts..I just haven't had much of a chance to try them out...except for a 10 min. run on the treadmeill. I can never remember which shoes I own are which kind...I just moved out of some brooks because the orthotics broke down the arch pretty bad...which is why I moved to a motion control shoe. I do know I like semi-curved lasts in the shoes...and these 2120s have that. We will see....
                I did really well with motion control shoes for a while but when my mileage went up, I ended up with piriformis problems. I was fitted with proper orthotics by a pedorthist (sp?) and after about 3 months, everything settled down. I can't say enough about both my Saucony Omni Grid 6's (Moderate stability) plus my custom orthotics. I can't imagine not doing both. (But I might not be in as good a shape as the rest of you).

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Long story short it was wearing the orthotics in my stability (Brooks Trance) shoes causing me to over-correct.
                  Same thing happened to my daughter. After getting bi-lateral strains of both knees, she was wearing Brooks Trance with Super Feet. They helped her get over the injury, but then she had to remove the orthotics to stop from over correcting.

SMART Approach

This appeared briefly and I can't find out if it was ever answered. Do you wear your motion control orthotics in your motion control shoes? This is a question I have never run accross and am stumped. I went from stability shoes to motion control and I am having a bit of trouble...
                    You need neutral shoes. You will overcorrect if wearing motion control or even stability shoes. I was, and was having pain on outside of foot and knee(Asics 2010). Bought a pair Brooks Radius Neutral and pain went away fairly quickly. Always run in neutral now with my orthotics and no issues.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

oh oh...I am dead meat if I have to turn around and buy a new pair of shoes a couple of weeks after buying the new 2120s... Dead I may just go get a good pair of inserts for these and give em a try.
                        I think it has to be taken case by case. I am just now recovering from knee and metatarsal problems from my old custom orthotics breaking down and purchasing a new pair of shoes without trying them on. I have been in the New Balance 1122's for the last two years. I went in and just grabbed a pair of new ones just the same as always. I wear a 12 W and after a few weeks started having issues. A friend of mine who is an ultra runner noticed I had very little support in the heel. I pulled out my old pair and compared ther two. The new were actually 4W even though they had 2W label in the shoe. The damage was done. I was having extreme knee pain. I took the shoe back and replaced it and ordered my new orthotics. My feet are so bad, without the motion control shoes, I can still have issues. This time I tried a diigital scan orthotic. I have been in them only a few weeks, but I am running pain free again. So far, so good. Moral of story... always try on new shoes. Good luck.
                        "Rule of Too's: Too long, too hard, too much, too soon" Anonymous

Bugs

cagery, Shoes are cheap. I got about $2K in medical bills since last April trying to fix my shoe/leg issues.

Bugs