Looking for a race in Los Angeles on April 21 (Read 65 times)

MorganEdge

I am coming in town for a convention and would like to run a race near the downtown area as I am staying by the convention center and won't have a car. I have been lucky the last two years in Philly and Vancouver as they had big races right downtown I was able to jog to as a warm up run.  So far I haven't been able to find anything particularly close in LA, so I was hoping some locals might be able to point something out for me as i don't know the area very well at all. I did see there was a 5K at a nudist colony, but as a slow runner, I think of the saying "If you aren't the lead dog, your view never changes" and decided to pass on that one.

- Morgan Edge

Hoodoo Guru

Morgan Edge?  Boy that name sounds familiar.  I bet even money you're a gambler.

Can't help you with L.A.  I'm sure they have a smog run of some kind that day. Or maybe a Chase the White Bronco 5K.

I mentioned to my wife one time that I wanted to run a 5K at a nudist camp.  I just saw it as a new experience, like skydiving.  She saw it as the most perverted thing I could possibly do or even think about doing.  Which just shows she doesn't know me very well.

Good luck finding your race.

The tangents are moot.

I always get the latest L.A. runs in my Gemini timing newsletter.  The only two I could find coming up are in MAY,,,,   I will let you know if I hear anything though...I am closeby

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

zonykel

http://www.raceplace.com/

it lists races for Southern California.

Arimathea

Tessa

Is Silver Lake close enough? That's about 4 miles from the Convention Center. There's an 8K on Sunday the 21st.

You could run to it by heading north on Figueroa and then west on Cesar Chavez/Sunset (the street changes names) to Silver Lake.  Or you could take the Red Line from Seventh & Figueroa up to Vermont/Sunset and then running east on Sunset to Silver Lake. Either way you'd turn north once you got to Silver Lake Blvd.

http://laraces.com/race/15232

Neutra 3rd Run/Walk for Health

Sun, Apr 21, 2013 - Silver Lake, CA

When: Pre Earth Day 2013
            Start and End Location:
            Silver Lake Meadow across from the Richard and Dion Neutra VDL Research House II, 2300 Silver Lake Blvd. Los Angeles, California.
            Route: Circumnavigate counter-clockwise, around Silver Lake Reservoir on the paths.
            Included in Fee: Neutra Run-Walk for Health Commemorative t-shirt, entry to award and closing ceremony.

zonykel

Sorry for the double-post, but this race in April 21 looks interesting:

"4th Annual Bare Burro Nude 5K

The only nude 5K run in Southern California. A scenic trail run that starts and ends at the Olive Dell clubhouse and pool. Over 150 participants in 2012 with some serious competition in most categories."

http://olivedellranch.com/bburro.htm

Arimathea

Tessa

MorganEdge, are you going to RIMS?

MorganEdge

Thanks, Tessa. Yes, I will be at RIMS and my friend and I will be running in the Neutra Event at your suggestion..  My real name is Paul Smith and I will be manning the Ernst & Young booth most of the times at RIMS.

- Morgan Edge

Arimathea

Tessa

I did the same thing last September when in DC for the CPCU annual meeting -- found a local race and ran it, in this case the Parks Half in Rockville/Bethesda. Great way to see more of the city the convention is in! Enjoy.

And have fun at RIMS. I'll be holding down the fort at the office three blocks north, but many of my colleagues will be there. And if I can answer any questions about the downtown area, let me know.

Tessa

MorganEdge

I knew this race was a little sketchy when I signed up and they did not ask me any questions about age, etc. and there was no information about course or timing, etc. So I ran this race today and they had 20 racers total for the 4K and the 8K. My running group has had bigger crowds when it was 8 degrees out. So i finished tops in my age group (there was no one else eligible) and top ten overall. I also led for the first 0.15 miles which was a first for me. SO I enjoyed the race even if the organization was pretty crappy.

- Morgan Edge