RA Status: update 3 (Read 388 times)

eric :)

Hi all,

I finally managed to connect to the new backup servers and was able to bring the backup file server online.  The data on the backup file server was a snapshot from several days ago.  Any files that you have uploaded since then will still be unavailable until I can restore them from the off site backup.  If I cannot restore the damaged disk arrays, yesterday's data might be lost forever, but let's not jump to any conclusions just yet.

It appears that the file server is the only service affected.  General workout data (date, distance, duration, etc) are ok as well because they are stored in the database.  The file server is harder to restore because it contains millions of files.

eric Smile

bhearn

What are these "files that you have uploaded"? Am I missing a feature here?

And thanks! What a nightmare.

Hangin' with Hal!

Eric,

Sounds like that tech needs to have his certs stripped (if he was certified to begin with) and needs his A+ and N+ redone...

Hope you can get this nightmare behind you!

eric :)

What are these "files that you have uploaded"? Am I missing a feature here?

And thanks! What a nightmare.

Mostly  GPS imports.  Maps are also stored as files too so they would be affected as well, although not as critical as GPS data.

I'm less stressed now that most of the services are restored.  It's just a matter of time before the missing data are restored.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is what happens when I leave my computer for 2.5 days... Wink  Glad you got it sorted out (not like any of us are surprised that you did).  Let us know if you need us to go knock some heads together.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mostly harmless

eric Smile

When I read your description about what happened my jaw just about hit the floor. For those that don't already know, the mistake that guy in the data center made is something only the newest of noobs would do. I still can't believe that someone employed in a data center would unplug a running server.  I'm sorry you had to deal with all of this.

If any of this resulted in loss of funds on your part, please let us know so we can pass around the hat.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Docket_Rocket

Some guys at one of our IT centers (when I was in the private sector) did just that.  I was managing the accounting department and we lost everything in that department.  I feel you, Eric!

eric Smile

When I read your description about what happened my jaw just about hit the floor. For those that don't already know, the mistake that guy in the data center made is something only the newest of noobs would do. I still can't believe that someone employed in a data center would unplug a running server.  I'm sorry you had to deal with all of this.

If any of this resulted in loss of funds on your part, please let us know so we can pass around the hat.

+1

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Feeling the growl again

Heck of a day, man.  Beer is on me if we meet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

theyapper

On the road again...

Eric -

Just for the fun of it I tried to upload a run from my Garmin and it worked. Woo-hoo!

Just thought I'd report back with good news.  Thanks for all your work.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Eric, Haven't understood a word of anything you've said. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do!

My uploads worked fine this morning.  THANKS, ERIC!!!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

If it makes you feel any better I had an employee shut off a SAN that had active VMs with their disk files stored on the SAN. I was not happy.

Thanks for your hard work Eric!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Found the Beer Table!

Successfully uploaded yesterday's and today's runs from my Garmin.
                            Thanks for all your hard work in maintaining this great site, Eric!

Thanks for all your hard work Eric!

If I cannot restore the damaged disk arrays, yesterday's data might be lost forever...

I have to laugh -- one of my workouts that's affected is the Bighorn 50-miler where I got pulled at the 35-mile mark for not making cutoff at the aid station.  I'm pretty bitter about it since I KNEW I could make the final cutoff.  Kinda nice to not be able to see the map where they pulled me.  Big grin  'Toopid race.