Edinburgh Marathon results not published (Read 126 times)

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

No, but I have noticed a trend toward making it more difficult to obtain the full results.  Edinburgh has taken it to a ridiculous level.

Are you one of the affected participants?

beat

Break on through

Very strange! If you enter a race, you expect the results to be public.  Hopefully they'll see the light and see their privacy concerns are misplaced.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Feeling the growl again

FFS.  Buy a cabin in the Highlands and go off the grid if you are so concerned about such mundane information as name and race time going public.

While I have actually seem people so insecure that they go nuts when they run what they consider a bad time and other people can see it, it's overkill.  That's running.  The concern about not being able to use the time as a qualifier for another limited entry race because the information is not publicly available is real.

Let's not fool ourselves.  Post a race and result....or even a race date and finishing time...and someone with too much time on their hands can figure out who you are.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No more marathons

FFS.  Buy a cabin in the Highlands and go off the grid if you are so concerned about such mundane information as name and race time going public.

While I have actually seem people so insecure that they go nuts when they run what they consider a bad time and other people can see it, it's overkill.  That's running.  The concern about not being able to use the time as a qualifier for another limited entry race because the information is not publicly available is real.

Let's not fool ourselves.  Post a race and result....or even a race date and finishing time...and someone with too much time on their hands can figure out who you are.

Doesn't even take much time.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

BeeRunB

If someone were to look at my publicly available PR's, I'm sure they'd figure out right quick that I'm genetically inferior displaced yankee age-grouper who peaked in 2006 and who has been melting in the deep south for 5 years. Plus, I gave all my information to the CIA  and the NSA already on Facebook and G+. They know not only my race times, but my soul. 

(marathons should know many runners not only like getting the results quickly, but like sharing the official results with people. Very few of us are expecting privacy at this level---unless you called in sick to run the Boston Marathon)

This didn't affect me personally, but it did some members of my running club.

I'm actually astounded that someone somewhere considered race results to be a 'data protection' problem, given that marathons especially are meant to be a shared experience. I just cannot get into the mindset of a runner that would not want his or her results made public, as if putting on shorts and trainers and heading out the front door was not a public act already. Do we have cheaply available home treadmills to blame for this?

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not so keen on sharing my results by means of a link to the official results.  If I want to publish my result, I'll just type the numbers into Facebook or whatever, and people can believe me or not as they wish.  OTOH, I readily admit that stalking others' results is a big part of the the post-race fun.

Vader Herder

It's not like there is medically sensitive data listed in the results and they're violating HIPPA privacy statutes or something.

River Run Half Marathon, 09/07/14 - my 39th birthday!

Youth Challenge 5K 09/14/2013  36:41.2

Stomp the Grapes Half-Marathon Relay 11/5/2011