Treadmill....tool? or torture device? (Read 915 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, I know I probably should have HTFU and run this morning, but it was 30-45mph winds...and I just felt like getting on the treadmill (haven't had to use it in about 2 weeks). BUT I forgot how awful it is on there. I get so bored!! I have the tv on, my iPod...seriously...I even mess with my speed, my incline, how do you get through a longer workout on the thing? I think they were really invented as a torture device....its just not common knowledge. So, give me the tips, how do you all get through it??? CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

JakeKnight

Where's Sabershooter when you need him? He'd be a good one to ask. He used to do 20+ runs and 70+ miles per week, every step on the treadmill. I have no idea how. It is a torture device. I've never lasted more than 6-7 miles on the thing. Good luck. I'd brave the hurricane if I were you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

+1 on the torture device. All they're good for is injury rehab in my books.
          Torture. I'm traveling very often and sometimes the only alternative to the treadmill would be risking my life in the streets of Delhi or my longs in the streets of Shanghai, and it's soooooo boring (and hot, somehow in the fitness rooms of the hotels they haven't understood yet, that 22°C is not really the ideal temperature for exercise), I'm terribly glad when I'm back home and can run on the fresh air

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Different strokes for different folks. Although I usually prefer running outdoors, I have no problem with treadmill running. There are times when I actually prefer it: --Hill workouts when there are no hills nearby. --When the temp outdoors is above 100 degrees or below 10 degrees. --When I was on business trips to Saudi Arabia and Jordan and the only option to treadmills in the hotels' gyms was to run around the streets near the hotel on hot days when running suit was not practical in shorts, which was frowned upon in those countries. --While watching the Boston Marathon live on TV and racing the winner to the finish. I won by a few minutes....he ran 26.2 and I ran 13.1 miles. Smile --To watch a movie on TV, especially a classic on AMC or TMC, that I would otherwise miss. I think that the like or dislike of treadmill running is at least partly determined by one's personality. Type "B" personalities tend to handle it well....type "A's" don't.
            MissGiggles

I have no problem with the treadmill, since I hate snow, rain, ice, and bugs. LOL.. Oh and I don' think it's safe to run in the dark which pretty much means when the time changes in Oct - Mar or April cause I run in the evening.

The Greatest of All Time

Look at my log from Jan-Apr. Nuff said. For me it's a mental test. I don't try to be distracted by a TV, but instead try to maintain focus for the entire run. I think it's good training for races or at least for me it is, because during a race of any distance I am extremely focused on the now and that takes practice. I do mess with speed a lot though. I do get bored running the same pace on a TM for anything longer than 30 minutes but I have done it.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Giants Fan

No, I know they are practical...there are times when you truly can't get outside...but the more I get into running, the more I hate the thing! (and I am not really sure I see myself as type A) Smile I just keep thinking there has to be something I can do to not want to get off and scream while I'm running on the darned thing!! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

No, I know they are practical...there are times when you truly can't get outside...but the more I get into running, the more I hate the thing! (and I am not really sure I see myself as type A) Smile I just keep thinking there has to be something I can do to not want to get off and scream while I'm running on the darned thing!! CC
                    I can understand the kids in the next room sleeping/playing kind of reason, but weather isn't enough to put me on a treadmill. Well, cold isn't. It doesn't really get that hot here, so I can't say about heat, but even when it's hot I don't find it any cooler on the treadmill.
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's a tool... that some folks hate to use. I've gone up to 15 miles on one with no music and no tv, a bit longer with some entertainment. You ask for tips and tricks? I don't really have any. I have goals that I want to accomplish and this is a means to that end. It's no different that putting my feet on the floor at 4:15 in the morning.

A Saucy Wench

I just keep thinking there has to be something I can do to not want to get off and scream while I'm running on the darned thing!! CC
                        The only thing I can do to keep from going crazy is intervals or some kind of speed work where I mess with it every 3 minutes or so. My favorite is progressions. By the time I am super bored I am running too dang fast to be bored. I consider the dreadmill punishment for not getting up early enough to run outside before dh leaves for work I want to add a 6th day though and my only choice is going to be easy at the gym. Will see how NOT doing speedwork goes. Tongue At least it is only a few miles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Something nobody mentioned... Pace work. Nothing compairs to feed back you get on your pace on a treadmill. You can run any exact speed for however long you want. Also over all they are probably less stress on your body, even though you have to be carefull because your stride becomes to repeditive and can lead to certain injuries.
                            I've been using a treadmill at home for the past month or so as part of my marathon preperations as it gets dark early here now and streets are really poorly lit. I actually find it good psychological training for the marathon as well as physical. I figure if i can get through 25km on a treadmill, bored out of my brain then 42k outside will be fine... I also have taken to watching a TV series on DVD, for me at the moment its The West Wing and I figure getting in three episodes of that while running is better than just sitting on my a$$ for three episodes... Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

skinnycaponesugar

Ok, I probably do the less distance than anyone who's already replied. I like the treadmill and use it when I'm at home with my little one and don't foresee getting out, or when they've all gone to sleep. The experience isn't nearly as good as running outside but I've come to enjoy the preset programs. I've tried a couple and find them challenging enough to keep me from being bored. Does any one use the programs that come with the treadmill? mine are all set for 30mins (you can start it again or another one) except for rolling hills, for which you set the distance. For me treadmill workout is a lot harder, but as a bonus at night, I can see my reflexion on the window and check my form. Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

It's a tool... that some folks hate to use. ... I have goals that I want to accomplish and this is a means to that end. It's no different that putting my feet on the floor at 4:15 in the morning.
                                What he said. Also, like Chris_So_Cal said, I find it great for runs at set paces. I've done all my tempo runs on them. I've never run really far on one, mostly because I'm slow, but I've run an hour on one regularly, and wouldn't forsee any problems running longer than that if circumstances dictated. I also like using them as a measurement tool. I'm an HR dork, so I like to set up a test of HR vs. speed by doing a progressive run and plotting my avg HR at each of the paces I ran. It's nice to see actual physiological evidence of my improvement.
                                Brandon