Stretching and Evening vs Morning Runs (Read 1088 times)

zzz

What is everyone's thoughts on stretching before a run... I have heard it's bad to stretch cold muscles so don't stretch prior to a run, but then I read from some RA posters that they DO stretch before... personal preference or??? And is it more beneficial to run in the am or the pm regarding energy, metabolism etc etc?? Or is this again just personal preference... as it stands right now I don't stretch prior to running and I run at night... NOT a morning person and at this point it's less humid and hot in the evening. Thanks
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Cold stretching is not only not helpful, but may lead to injury. If you stretch, only stretch warm muscles. If you have really tight spots prior to a run that you feel must be stretched, it's best to do it after some kind of easy warm-up. I think the am/pm thing boils down to preference. I prefer pm because I, too, am not a morning person. To combine the two things, I don't stretch very often, but I do tend to strect more after pm runs. I find that if I run and go to bed unstretched, I wake up more tight the next morning.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

Never ever ever stretch cold muscles. Sure, some people get away with it, but it is a great way to injure yourself. I never stretch before I run, haven't since Coach made me in high school back in 1982, but for those who absolutely must: warm up first! Warm up first! Run at whatever time works best for you to ensure you get the run in. There are studies which seem to indicate that morning running is better (slightly) for your metabolism... but if you aren't a morning person and tend to hit the snooze, then it doesn't matter - run in the evening. I'm the opposite. If I wait until the evening, I tend to fill in my day with other stuff and don't run. But if I do it in the morning, it tends to get done.

About stretching. I would divide stretching to two different activities. One is to stretch a muscle and other is to release the tension, to let the muscle to relax. Stretching the muscle is not good if your muscle is cold, but tension releasing is OK to do. When you release a tension you are very carefully teasing a muscle to relax. You can notice this when a muscle step by step let you go deeper into the pose. You should stay in the pose at least for a minute. But, there is a point when the muscle is as relax as it can be and starts to strech. This is the point where you should stop streching if your muscles are cold. Still, I never stretch before run, or even immediately after the run. I do some relaxation when I feel like it. Proper stretching is done during my yoga sessions. I used to run PM before, but after I started yoga I changed my running to morning. Most of my yoga sessions are in afternoon. I noticed I do feel better in morning runs. Pace...hard to say. Yoga might have something to do with the improved feeling too.
            It's been nearly three years since I gave up stretching and I've been much better off without it. Gone are the numerous minor muscle pulls that I used to experience when I was an avid stretcher and I have not experienced any loss of flexibility. Stretching is one of those old school routines that refuses to go away for the simple reason that it has been around for so long. Static stretching is increasingly being replaced with warm up drills to get muscles loose and up to operating temperature before they need to perform. I work with a high school football coach and he concurs. Stretching is no longer part of his team's pre-game activities. Instead they spend time doing calisthenics and other warm up drills. My warm up routine consists of a quarter mile of fast walking followed by a mile or so of easy running. Cool down is just the walking at an easy pace. I've run year round here in the midwest for the last seven years and even with all the cold weather running I have had zero muscle pulls. Give it a shot for a while and see if it works for you. Tom
              The only thing I stretch is the truth.
                I really hate stretching before morning runs, so how do I convince the army that what they are doing is really dumb? So when we have a nice 4 mile run at 5am in the dead of winter and its freezing, what do we do? Go outside and stretch for 15 minutes before running. I hate doing that, but somehow I don't think they are going to change their stretch policy any time soon... Roll eyes I can just feel my poor leg muscles tearing ha ha...

SMART Approach

Do dynamic movements before your run to get your muscles firing and moving including a mild stretch through movement. See attached below. Many of us who sit all day on our butt get tighter hip flexors, weaker glutes etc and when you start a run without getting the glutes firing/activated, the hammys tend to work too hard. I should know w/ past issues of hammy tendonitis after switching to a sales job with a ton of driving. I now do dynamic moves before a run and static stretching after. This is what I would recommend for you. Run whenever you will run - does not matter. Each person is different. http://orgs.jmu.edu/strength/JMU_Summer_2000_WebPage/JMU_Summer_2000_Sections/9_summer_dynamic_flexibilty.htm

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zzz

wow thanks so much for all the advice..... At this point we are walking fast for about 5 min before running so I guess that makes a good warm up.... maybe someday I'll move to am runs but I don't see it yet so it's good to know there isn't a difference... Smile

SMART Approach

wow thanks so much for all the advice..... At this point we are walking fast for about 5 min before running so I guess that makes a good warm up.... maybe someday I'll move to am runs but I don't see it yet so it's good to know there isn't a difference... Smile
                      Sounds good and throw in a couple dynamic moves while walking. Very simple to add.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

zzz

What exactly are dynamic moves?? oh ok i see the link... lemme check that out.
                        zzz

Sounds good and throw in a couple dynamic moves while walking. Very simple to add.
                          ahhh ok i have seen people doing those same moves prior to a race etc etc and never really thought about what they were.... are you in virginia also or did you just happen upon the jmu site?

SMART Approach

Katie, I am in Green Bay, but like the link on dynamic moves from that Virginia site. Good luck!

Ham & Egger

Do dynamic movements before your run to get your muscles firing and moving including a mild stretch through movement. See attached below. Many of us who sit all day on our butt get tighter hip flexors, weaker glutes etc and when you start a run without getting the glutes firing/activated, the hammys tend to work too hard. I should know w/ past issues of hammy tendonitis after switching to a sales job with a ton of driving. I now do dynamic moves before a run and static stretching after. This is what I would recommend for you. Run whenever you will run - does not matter. Each person is different. http://orgs.jmu.edu/strength/JMU_Summer_2000_WebPage/JMU_Summer_2000_Sections/9_summer_dynamic_flexibilty.htm
                              Abosultely correct. Active stretching before the run, passive after. I tend to need both or I wind up a dinged a tad. Also, stretching helps with greater stride efficeincy, etc. so that's a good thing. Anything to help range of motion (w/ in limits, not sure I'd say being a pretzel is good for running either) and core stability is #1.
                              www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
                                I really hate stretching before morning runs, so how do I convince the army that what they are doing is really dumb? So when we have a nice 4 mile run at 5am in the dead of winter and its freezing, what do we do? Go outside and stretch for 15 minutes before running. I hate doing that, but somehow I don't think they are going to change their stretch policy any time soon... Roll eyes I can just feel my poor leg muscles tearing ha ha...
                                I've been trying with our army for years. Not really getting much of anywhere with the training system, and I don't expect it to change, but I do have a few people doing dynamic stretching instead. Luckily, I've got a Physical Therapist Officer who's a CISM runner and soccer player campaigning nationally to help.