Weight training cured me; do I keep doing it? (Read 587 times)

AnneCA

I started running again a little over a year ago, and promptly was reminded why I had given up running: ITBS. In the non-running years, I'd taken up power-lifting (don't do it any more, though), so I applied my weight-training knowledge (and what I remembered them advising that I do when I was younger and less patient . . .), and took up a regimen of squats, etc. Well, it worked! Big grin I'm now running pain free, and increasing my mileage slowly and steadily. So, my question is, do I keep doing the lifting? I guess I don't have any objection to it (I do upper body work too), but I have limited exercise time, and as I don't run on my weight training days, my weight training cuts into my running. Right now I'm limited to three, maybe four days of running a week. I guess the only real answer is "try it, transition slowly, and see what happens," but looking to see if there's any wisdom beyond that. Thanks! Oh, and, My First Post! Shy

Along for the Ride

I would say keep doing it. I am in the same boat as you are ... not enough time. But I find when I lift and do Yoga and swim besides my running, I am just "well rounded" and feel truly fit. The injury rate goes down as well. Modified to add: Welcome to RA! Big grin

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

SMART Approach

Keep it up. You can cut the sets if you like but stay consistent with it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com