I'm Sore (Read 1215 times)

So I've been a bit tender since yesterday. My legs have been feeling fine today, but yesterday my hips were a bit tender, due to the fact I played slow pitch softball for the first time in like 6 months. I ran it out yesterday morning and did fine, and then last night I did an interval workout at the track. After the track, I came home and ice bathed. Monday, I was a bit heavy due to a rougher long run on Sunday, as the elements were not runner friendly (rain, 40 degrees, and 30 mph gusts of wind). I got about 9 hours of sleep this past night, woke up, and as I said, my legs feel great, but my ribs are a bit tender. My hips are better. If anything, my legs feel a little heavy, but then again, I did just wake up. With all that said, is this anything to be worried about? I ran Country Music Marathon on April 28. I took off from running for a few days, and then started back up and ran less than 20 miles the week following the marathon. Then, last week, I came out stronger and ran my first ever 50 mile week. I don't want to overtrain, but I definitely want to keep running six days a week and increase mileage and base for my next marathon (Indy in October). Any recommendations based on all this info, or is the tenderness in my ribs and the heaviness in my legs going to be normal with increased mileage, in addition to my softball game monday night?
    JakeKnight

I think its too much, too soon, for where you are now. I ran the same race you did. I've run nothing harder than very easy pace since. Because almost every runner I know is currently injured or almost injured, and I like running too much to be sidelined. I'd suggest you be careful. Really careful. The only sure way to stop progress is going the too much too soon route. If you run slow and easy enough, the mileage itself probably - maybe - wouldn't be a problem. Nor would the six days per week. Probably. Maybe. But intervals? Coupled with your highest mileage week ever? You're asking for trouble. Begging for it, in fact. I'd at least lose the track work for now. For your stated goals, it doesn't do much anyway.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

What Jake said.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

You overtrained last week.
          "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
            You overtrained last week.
            Why did I not feel overtrained?

A Saucy Wench

Why did I not feel overtrained?
              You are sore. That is feeling overtrained

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Why is it sideways?

For what it's worth, I agree with Jake and Blaine and kponds. It's a long time until October. Patience, grasshopper.

Was it all a dream?

Yes, with 5 months until race day, time is on your side. I'd suggest building a base over the next month. Then add intervals and tempo runs.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's easy to make fun of beer-oriented activities like slow-pitch softball, but things like that can be murder to a distance runner. We may run lots of miles, but we are not used to sudden sprints from dead stops. Flag football is even worse (backpedaling as a DB, anyone?) and it messed up both of my hammies. Exercise caution.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You are sore. That is feeling overtrained
                      Since when? First of all he is sore from softball. Second overtraining isn't just something happens overnight or even within in a week. Yes being sore could be apart of overtraining but he doesn't seem to be showing any other signs. Being sore could also just be a sign of overreaching, which should be apart of everyones training. Overreach, recover, super-compensate, become faster. In that order. To the OP With saying that you probably should take an easy week or two. It's usually not a good idea to increase volume and intensity at the same time. The heaviness in your legs is from having a hard week last week which you need to recover from. You aren't overtrained yet but if you keep pushing it you could overtrain. Plus you may not even be recovered from your marathon yet, depending on how hard you ran it. Personally I think you should take a few months of mostly easy running with some LT and AT work added in. Build up your mileage and get in a solid base for your October marathon. There is no need to be doing intervals already.

Think Whirled Peas

It's easy to make fun of beer-oriented activities like slow-pitch softball, but things like that can be murder to a distance runner. We may run lots of miles, but we are not used to sudden sprints from dead stops. Flag football is even worse (backpedaling as a DB, anyone?) and it messed up both of my hammies. Exercise caution.
                        Ditto to this. Soccer nailed me. Pulled a quad. Zero on the fun scale.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Tonights run was a bit lethargic. I ran easy from the beginning...about 8:40/mile. From there it slowed every mile until my last mile hit 9:21/mile. I wasn't really in pain, but just couldn't move fast. With that said, I have decided to take Thursday and Friday off, come back Saturday and run 6-8 at about 9-9:30 pace. Possibly run Sunday about the same. Starting Monday, I plan on running everything slow, and basically listening to my body next week. Next week I am moving 6 hours away, so running will be on the backburner, which will allow some recovery time from the marathon. I'm pretty sure a 50 mile week two weeks post-marathon wasn't a good idea. I'll mark that one down in my books, and jump back into full time running in a couple of weeks.

Ostrich runner

Ditto to this. Soccer nailed me. Pulled a quad. Zero on the fun scale.
                            Soccer often hurts me the most when I'm in my best running shape. My completely uneducated theory is that as some muscles get trained to move us in one direction very efficiently, it leaves the others incapable of dealing with the stress when we want to do things like change directions or velocity. The solution is probably to play more soccer though.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I felt ridiculously sore after this season's first kickball practice. When you do another sport you are using different muscles or using your usual muscles in new ways. If I can make myself sore with another sport, I take it to mean that I've been neglecting some form of exercise and welcome the change. On the plus side, you'll find that after a game or two, the soreness will stop and your existing conditioning will keep you energetic when everyone else is ready to head home for the day.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Think Whirled Peas

I felt ridiculously sore after this season's first kickball practice. When you do another sport you are using different muscles or using your usual muscles in new ways. If I can make myself sore with another sport, I take it to mean that I've been neglecting some form of exercise and welcome the change. On the plus side, you'll find that after a game or two, the soreness will stop and your existing conditioning will keep you energetic when everyone else is ready to head home for the day.
                                Sorry to threadjack here, but you play kickball, in a league?!?!?! How fun is THAT?!?!? I think that would be a total blast. And I agree w/your (and Beef's) assessment of undertrained muscles making themselves evident by playing other sports. Even the first couple of rounds of golf in the spring will leave my ribs and lower back sore from swinging. It's just nice to be able to play soccer, basketball and a million other things and not be wiped out after 10 minutes. I'll take sore from undertrained muscles over being totally out of shape (former self) every day of the week! Makers, my suggestion is pretty much what everybody else has said. Ease off the throttle for a bit, you've got time on your side. A DNS due to injury would be a tough thing to handle...

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>