Wireless headphones (Read 1764 times)

Hey guys and gals,

Yes I'm sorry, I'm an ipod listening runner! Think of me what you may, for this I am! Anyway, berating or praising aside, I'm in the market for a little sum'in-sum'in if you get my drift. No, I'm actually after some wireless headphones if you hadn't already guessed.

Now, I'm the kind of person who likes earbuds (the ones that go right in your ear and block out anything I don't want to hear) instead of actual earphones or headphones. But I just wondered if anyone had any experience of them? Particularly in combination with an iPod which doesn't already have blueteeth so would need an extra device for bluetooth capabilities.

I'm also not really wanting to spend more than €100, even €100 is a bit steep for some earbuds, but I also am aware that sometimes it is a case of you get what you pay for.

Ciao ciao!

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

My two cents: The jury is still out on whether Bluetooth headsets are safe. Might not be safe to be running hours and hours with one of those things on your brain.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My two cents: The jury is still out on whether Bluetooth headsets are safe. Might not be safe to be running hours and hours with one of those things on your brain.

Isn't the jury still out about the safety of using cellphones? Which are glued to most people's heads Tongue

Yes.

MrH

The jury is still out on whether Bluetooth headsets are safe. 

If I see someone wearing a Bluetooth headset and talking too loud, I have strong urge to punch them, so I don't think they're safe.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

If I see someone wearing a Bluetooth headset and talking too loud, I have strong urge to punch them, so I don't think they're safe.

I want it for my ipod, so if you see me talking to it as well, you are welcome to punch me. That or I'm delirious from dehydration so maybe a glass of water as well?

This may not be what you're looking for, but I used a Jabra BT-3030 to pair (via Bluetooth) with my GPS when motorcycling.  I got in-ear navigation prompts without being wired to the GPS or the bike.  Pretty inexpensive, too.

I've seen, but haven't ever purchased, little devices that pop into the plug end of an iPod and let it transmit via Bluetooth to a paired device.  Shouldn't be too hard to find one of those.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

This may not be what you're looking for, but I used a Jabra BT-3030 to pair (via Bluetooth) with my GPS when motorcycling.  I got in-ear navigation prompts without being wired to the GPS or the bike.  Pretty inexpensive, too.

I've seen, but haven't ever purchased, little devices that pop into the plug end of an iPod and let it transmit via Bluetooth to a paired device.  Shouldn't be too hard to find one of those.

That's quite an ingenious device. So basically I can connect any headphones to it and then they're effectively wireless? (If I cut the wire short) I'm not sure though if I'd get on with having something hanging round my neck, this is part of my problem with the wires from my wired headphones. That and I don't know what I do to them but I seem to damage them within 2 months (loose connections inside cable) and I'm looking for a "cheaper in the long run" option.

Yeah I have encountered them, seems to be little information as to which devices they are compatible with? Or if they're compatible with all of them? Frequencies? I don't know, I know very little about bluetooth, other than my laptop and cell have it :P

I do not doubt you. I just saw a movie about Scotland's last king. Sheesh.

I find these work well for what they do with my iPhone:

Motorola S9 Bluetooth Active Headphones

You can call home, turn music up and down, pause.  The only thing that does not seem to work is next song. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                      • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                      • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

I find these work well for what they do with my iPhone:

Motorola S9 Bluetooth Active Headphones

You can call home, turn music up and down, pause.  The only thing that does not seem to work is next song. 

They're a very good price, I think the cheapest pair I've found. How do you find things like interference and sound quality? Also are they comfortable, as they don't look particularly comfortable with that bulky piece of plastic on the back? Do you wear them for running?

Yep I wear them while I am running.  I like them a lot and find they work pretty well.  Now I only wear them once or twice a month and I think they only have a charge of 3 hours so for long runs I am not sure they are that good. 

They do not seem to bother me and I have had them for over a year. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

That's quite an ingenious device. So basically I can connect any headphones to it and then they're effectively wireless? YES  (If I cut the wire short) I'm not sure though if I'd get on with having something hanging round my neck, this is part of my problem with the wires from my wired headphones. THEN USE THE CLIP FEATURE INSTEAD OF THE NECKLACE  That and I don't know what I do to them but I seem to damage them within 2 months (loose connections inside cable) and I'm looking for a "cheaper in the long run" option.

Yeah I have encountered them, seems to be little information as to which devices they are compatible with? Or if they're compatible with all of them? Frequencies? I don't know, I know very little about bluetooth, other than my laptop and cell have it :P

My BT3030 has successfully paired with every BT device it's met.  The stock earplugs have stayed in for runs of about an hour.  (My iPod's battery dies right about then.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

My BT3030 has successfully paired with every BT device it's met.  The stock earplugs have stayed in for runs of about an hour.  (My iPod's battery dies right about then.)

Yeah I guess this is the other consideration, as I think with my iTrip (radio transmitter), I get maybe 1.5 hours. Which is never going to be enough if I manage to avoid injury *touches every piece of wood around* Wink

Maybe another failed idea? Any alternatives? I don't know like what, but maybe cable ties? Or urm ... I don't know, I'm struggling to think, especially as I have someone jabbering in my ear. Help? Tongue

Does the dog tag not piss you off while you run? Or is it only me that gets annoyed by anything that touches me whilst running?

I also get very annoyed by the massive dark lizards that dash across the ground and make me jump because I instantly think "Snake, pick up your fucking pace"!

Apparently, I'm a very easily irritated runner! Perhaps Victor Meldrew on speed?

Sorry to have been unclear:

1. My iPod is a hand-me-down that fails to hold a charge for more than about an hour.  I'd used it with earphones lugged directly into it, not with the BT3030.  I never got a gizmo to plug into the iPod and make it wireless/Bluetoothy.
                                2. The BT3030 has lasted for hours on end -- I've had several all-day rides with it.  (The GPS mount on the bike was hard-wired for power, or the GPS battery would've been the limiting factor.)
                                3. The earplugs were never tested beyond ~60min other than with while wearing a motorcycle helmet.  They could've gone longer.

-- Dick LeBeau