Another newbie question, I mean really new. (Read 338 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I think someone here mentioned once that there is aerobic fitness, muscle fitness and joint fitness- they take different times to build up. Seemed reasonable.

And its the muscle/joint fitness that catches up late in the game and results in injury when pushed to quickly. The old TMTS - To Much To Soon problem that many experience because they don't hurt early in the game. Kind of like carpal tunnel and other repetitive stress injuries. Everything feels great until wham! Surprise! and something starts to hurt like crazy. Been there, done that, got more t-shirts than I ever wanted!

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Joann Y

Just out of curiosity, is muscle/tendon durability the last to go as you become untrained (i.e. take time off)? I presume that is why trained runners can take a month off and pop right back into high mileage weeks with only a short transition. I wonder how long it takes to lose that durability. 2 months? 6 months? a year?