I have a stupid question. (Read 1352 times)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Today durning my run My sweat smelled like amonia it was really weird and my leggs about 1/2 way into my usual route felt very tried. Could I be missing something nutrioton wise. Anyone know what causes this. Was I dehydrated maybe I usaully drink abot 120 oz a day and today was no different. I had already consumed 4 16oz before run and one durning the 35 min run. Will have a few more this after noon and some propel to replace elctrolights. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Just Be

I'd caution you from drinking perscribed amounts of fluids like you are doing. It is likely that you're not getting enough water and that is what caused the smell you noticed. Drink enough water at regular intervals throughout the day until you end up needing to urinate at least 3 to 6 times per day - that is likely the point at which your body's needs for water are most adequately met. The amount of water you need per day depends on several factors such as your body size, composition, the outdoor and indoor dewpoints of your environments, etc., and will likely change week by week.
      JakeKnight

Today durning my run My sweat smelled like amonia it was really weird and my leggs about 1/2 way into my usual route felt very tried. Could I be missing something nutrioton wise. Anyone know what causes this. Was I dehydrated maybe I usaully drink abot 120 oz a day and today was no different. I had already consumed 4 16oz before run and one durning the 35 min run. Will have a few more this after noon and some propel to replace elctrolights. Doug.
        That is a lot of hydration. You had a half gallon before your run (already today?) and another 16 ounces during it? Be careful. You can overdo the water. And its a lot more dangerous than being slightly dehydrated. The experts (or those who think they are - no, wait, he's on a business trip ... Clowning around ) will chime in shortly, so you might want to add some details: how far did you run? What were the temps? (I'm hoping 99+) What time of day? What's your diet like? Did you by any chance have 9 or 10 beers last night? Okay, checked your log. Not sure where you live or what time you ran today, but I think its safe to say you don't need 80 ounces of water to run 3 miles @ 10+ pace. Drink when you're thirsty. Maybe I'm wrong. What color is your pee? The ammonia thing might mean dehydration: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326 But too much water can kill you. You drank more water to run 3 miles than I would to run 20-25, even on the hottest day. Maybe you need more, but be careful. I dealt with hyponatremia once, and it wasn't fun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia
        I'd caution you from drinking perscribed amounts of fluids like you are doing.
        Agreed. Whether your underhydrated or overhydrated, drink what you personally need, not some specific amount.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Eat, Play, Run

I get the ammonia smell sometimes after a long or particularly hard run, and heard it might be due to lower carbohydrate intake. I don't think it was dehydration in my case - or overhydration. It's like the smell is in my nose because I've even smelled it in the shower. Here's an article that discusses it. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326 Not sure about the tired legs, unless that's also related to not enough food/carbs.
            I am an expert at nothing. But I can google like a mother. Option #!. You're not getting enough carbohydrate before you run. Ammonia (chemical term is NH3) is a nitrogen breakdown product of amino acids in the body. Amino acids are the building blocks to make proteins in the body. If your body turn to breaking down amino acids for energy (instead of using carbohydrate and/or fat), the nitrogen atom is chemically stripped of the amino acid molecule (which is then converted to glucose fuel) and processes the nitrogen in the kidneys and forms urea for excretion. If your kidneys cannot handle the load of urea, the nitrogen is excreted in your sweat as ammonia. http://runningdoctor.runnersworld.com/2008/05/why-does-my-swe.html Option #2. You eat too much protein (variation of #1). The food you eat contains carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Of the three, only protein contains nitrogen. The body has no way to store extra protein, so when you take in more protein than your body needs, your liver knocks nitrogen off the protein and the nitrogen is eventually converted to ammonia and passes through the sweat glands and kidneys. http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/22 Option #3. The dreaded helicobacter. Some people smell like ammonia when they do not take in large amounts of protein. An article in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology showed that many people who smell like ammonia are infected with helicobacter, a bacteria that knocks nitrogen off protein also. When helicobacter grows in your stomach and intestines, it causes ulcer symptoms characterized by belching, burping, a sour taste in your mouth and a burning pain that often become more severe when you are hungry and better when you eat. More than 80 percent of people who have duodenal ulcers are infected with this bacteria. If your sweat smells like ammonia, ask your doctor to do a blood test for helicobacter. If you are infected, you can be cured with a one week course of antibiotics. Check with your doctor. http://drmirkin.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html Based on our feeling tired, I'd suspect #1. Based on the fact that I know diddley, I wouldn't trust my suspicions.
            Katie H

Chicago winter running

I'm a cell physiologist so whole body phys isn't really my area of expertise but what I remember from the few med school classes we were forced to take is similar to what Save Cheevers said in #1. Are you eating enough? And eating enough protein? Old people and anorexics often smell like ketones (ammonia) b/c their bodies, for different reasons, are breaking down their own protein (in muscle) just to maintain a level of glucose that they can survive on. But like I said, I'm not an MD! Just a suggestion. good luck!
              We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.
                It's perfectly normal to smell like ammonia after a long, hard run or if you are dehydrated. Neither of those scenarios apply to you since you are already well hydrated and are only running three miles, so whatever is causing the smell is not related to running. Better look into option #3. Tom
                lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Thanks for the info. The water intake was not because I was going to run it's just I drink a lot of it thorugh out the day per Dr's instructions. To help flush out some of the meds I am on. Dr wants at leat 96 oz per day.I probably am lacking in carbs as I stay away from them aslo per dr and nutritionists instructions. I will be seeing my Pcp to find out more. I was just curious and thought it might be running related. First tme it's happened. And yes I am slow 9.3 I think is my pb but most of my lunch time runs are around 10 min pace. I am new at this as this is my first yr of actually sticking with more than 2 days a week. This could also be a problem that Is unique to me as My plumbing is no longer stock thanks to Cancer and GB. Oh and urine color is always a neon yellow orange due to meds. So hard to tell from that if dehydrated.Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Maybe could the meds make your sweat smell?
                    zzz

hey lost..... you sound like you live close to me.... my gf/running partner and i thought about doing the RNR 1/2 at the beach but we felt we aren't quite ready to walk/run it... BUT we'll for sure be there for the Shamrock marathon.... we both live in Chesapeake.... Western Branch... But to your original question about the amonia and I thought I was pretty well hydrated but prob wasn't eating enough carbs.... you are burning proteins....but i would smell it when i took a shower and the first time i was panicked... it was after a really long gym workout or run. it sounds like you are obviously hydrated so it may be the carbs issue.... but again i am not a doc.
                        I would definitely check with your doc Doug. And it's pretty obvious you can change the title from "stupid question", it's nowhere near stupid. Hope it's just a temporary annoyance/issue and you're feeling 100% soon. Soon, as in before Tuesday night's Nostradamus race. Big grin

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.