Practical Halloween-related question... (Read 716 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is there any way to tell if a pumpkin is likely to have lots of seeds before a person chooses one? I finally got around to cutting and gutting the 2 we are carving for tonite and neither has very many seeds. I love to clean and bake the seeds with butter and salt, but this year we barely have enough to bother. Our pumpkins are both very round and about a foot in diameter. Is it a shape or color thing that might yield more seeds? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

You could try these: Try making up a cinnamon/sugar mixture, and after washing the seeds, while they are still wet, coat them in that and bake them @ 400 degrees. Like candy!
        You could try these:
        The hand in that picture looks funny. David's sells pumpkin seeds.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The hand in that picture looks funny. David's sells pumpkin seeds.
          Ha, and those glasses would be handy! I've had the David's seeds, but they are REALLY salty. And I like salt...but blech, they were way overdone. Bob, the cinnamon/sugar idea sounds cool--I'll bet they're a little like roasted almonds, which are like crack to me! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No. Buy more pumpkins. Save the flesh and make pie.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aren't carving pumpkins different than the pie ones? I always thought the pie ones were those small, deep orange ones that people often paint. Not a real big pumpkin pie fan, anyhow. Eryn LOVES anything pumpkin, but I'm really just a fan of creamy pumpkin soups or cakey-type bars. The traditional pie consistency kinda grosses me out. Give me a tart apple pie ANY day! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All winter squash are different from each other and they can all be used to make "pumpkin" pie. The big jack-o-lantern pumpkins make pretty good pie, primarily because most of the flavor comes from the cream, eggs and spices anyway. The smaller ones are more popular mostly because their size is more manageable. Most people who do not like pumpkin pie do not like it because it was made from a mix or from canned crap pumpkin. When you use a fresh pumpkin or squash, it is a whole nother world of awesome. And you can use the cooked flesh for breads, cakes, muffins and soups. It is good diced and sauteed with butter or olive oil, roasted with fish or meats, mixed with mashed potatoes, turned into gnocchi or other pasta, etc. Loads of things to do with it. When I make pumpkin pie, I will use regular pumpkins, heirloom pumpkins of many different types, acorn squash, etc. I grind my own spices that I keep in a jar (mixed cinnamon, allspice, candied ginger, nutmeg, cloves, orange rind, scoop and grind in a $20 coffee grinder). Just mix the pumpkin (baked down @ 500 F until soft, about 1 hour) with some eggs, sweet condensed milk, vanilla, spices and bake ~450 F until done. WAY easy. Come run Monkey and taste it...
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Bread Ingredients 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar 1 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans 1/2 cup raisins 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg* 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger* 3 large eggs 1 3/4 cups Mashed Pumpkin 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup melted butter Preparation 1. Preheat oven to 350° (325° convection). 2. In a large bowl, mix it all together. 3. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir just until well blended. Pour equally into two oiled 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans (with 2 2/3-cup capacity each). 4. Bake until bread pulls from pan sides and a wooden skewer inserted in center of thickest part comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let bread cool in pans on a rack for about 15 minutes. Cut around outside edges of bread and invert onto racks. Cool thoroughly. * or use a pumpkin pie spice mix; I mix my own and grind it fresh as needed
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I remember you posting this a long time ago...I need to copy it this time! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can't make pie with the kids' jack o lanterns this evening as planned, we carved them three days ago and they are already filled with mold. Looks like I will have to cut one of my squash. Look at these: http://www.sunriseseeds.com/WINTER%20SQUASH%20SEED.0.html I have used most of these at one time or another and many are in my kitchen right now. I am thinking of cutting into my Pink Banana Squash.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, that is one requirement for our next house...a yard with at least a small area of full sun. I would LOVE to plant a garden with a few squash, 'maters, and jalapenos. Yummers! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

And pumpkins will be cheap, starting tomorrow.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And pumpkins will be cheap, starting tomorrow.
                            Candy, too! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Man, that is one requirement for our next house...a yard with at least a small area of full sun. I would LOVE to plant a garden with a few squash, 'maters, and jalapenos. Yummers!
                              Pumpkins can be tough to grow and require loads of space. But they are fun. I usually get loads of winter squash at our farmers' market and/or at one of the local farms. In two visits, this year we bought: 1 Pink Banana Squash 1 Long Island Cheese Pumpkin 1 Cinderella Pumpkin 1 Jarrahdale Pumpkin 1 Green Hubbard 2 Standard Jack o Lantern Pumpkins 2 Pie Pumpkins 1 Green Cushaw 2 huge huge huge Musque de Provence Squash We probably spent a total of about $60 on all of these (12 substantial squash, $5 each) and will have loads of food from them all. I think the average weight is about 12 lbs for all but the pie pumpkins, and the Musques have got to tip 30 lbs.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

On a vaguely related note, the annual Punkin Chunkin world championships are on right now. How do I know? Well, my annoying cow-irker Larry is gone - he's on the team for the Second Amendment unlimited air cannon. He's in charge of pumpkin development; they've developed a pumpkin with an extra-thick skin that can better withstand getting fired out of an 80 foot long barrel. did