Green Bay Marathon - 5/18/08 (Read 716 times)

Crazy Train

Anyone else planning to run the Green Bay Marathon??? I'm signed up - my first marathon!!! and just started the training this week (I took a little time off and only ran here and there over the holidays). I run in the morning before work and today's temp was 8 degrees F with a windchill making it feel like -8 degrees.... frickin' cold!! I can't wait for spring! Smile

Runnin' from the law.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Someday I may do this one. I grew up in Door County, so GB is like home to me. I'm doing Grand Rapids, MI this fall, so if that goes well I think GB would be the next one in my sights. I hope it goes well for you...now we just need Mother Nature and Global Warming to play nice so that your training is not all under such frigid conditions. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It sounds like a great finish where you get to run on the field at Lambeau and the post-race festivities include beer and brats. You'll have to post a race report as it's certainly one I'd like to complete but this spring is too soon for me.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Jenny, I'll be there! I signed up about a week ago (couldn't pass up the early entry discount) and have been running about 25 or so miles a week. The weather has been pretty rough, but I've been doing my long runs on the indoor track at the Pettit Center. Although I've lived in WI my whole life, I absolutely hate cold weather, so it's indoors for me until it gets above 25 degrees. If you're interested, there is a Green Bay Marathon user group and a Badger user group. Jim
          Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"

Another Passion

Hmmm... I may have to put this one on the '09 calendar as a spring race. My parents grew up in Menominee, MI, right across the river from Marinette, WI. It would be cool to incoporate a trip back to my childhood and visit there before/after the race in GB. My dad is a HUGE Packer fan too so it would be cool running into Lambeau.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

pokey52

Big grin My wife and I ran Greenbay last May and it was a blast. We arrived and the temp was 60 degrees but sad to say the day of the race it was 30 degrees and windy. The race was well coordinated and the local support was just fantastic! It sure is a town that knows how to throw a party. The beer and brats never ran out and after a hard run it was much appriciated. Good luck!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm... I may have to put this one on the '09 calendar as a spring race. My parents grew up in Menominee, MI, right across the river from Marinette, WI. It would be cool to incoporate a trip back to my childhood and visit there before/after the race in GB. My dad is a HUGE Packer fan too so it would be cool running into Lambeau.
                IF the GRM doesn't kill me I will definitely be on for GBM '09! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I ran the half marathon last year and it was a really nice course. Really flat and that was nice because it was easy to find a rhythm. It was 38 and windy but it warmed up a little throughout the race. They were organized well and the brat afterward were fantastic. I can't make it this year but it's on my list to do again in the future!

thumbs up!

What about Brett? I'll happily run for a Favre sighting Wink
                    2010 Goals
                    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                    3. sub 30 min 5k
                    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                    pokey52

Sorry if I was a little rushed last night. The course is pretty flat. The only major hill I can remember is actually a bridge over the Fox River(?). Lots of twists and turns but the course is well marked and the support is great. I never felt alone on the whole course. If your a football fan the lap around the stadium is something special, I found it a little distracting to run into the loading area which was lit but dark at the same time and then run out into the sun light again. But I have to say it's a once in a lifetime experience. The party at the finish line is great, they really do it up right. I can highly recomend the Titletown Brewing Company for after race food and drinks if your so inclined! Good luck and let us know how you make out.
                      JoeShort

I'm thinking of running GB this year, anyone know what the hotel situation is? Are there plenty of rooms near the start/finish or do they get filled up quickly? Is it best to go through the marathon web site for hotels or are other online sources better?
                        pokey52

We stayed at one of the hotels listed on their web site. All of the listed hotels had busses that took us to the start. Parking is very limited around he stadium. I would suggest that you book early they fill up fast. The year we ran it they were holding a rockabilly convention in town so our hotel looked like a throw back to the fifties. Strange but fun. Even if the web site says that their are no rooms available call, thats what we had to do and we were able to get a room within a mile of the start. Good Luck!
                            I ran the Green Bay marathon in 2006 and had a great time. I stayed at a hotel 200 yards or so from the finish line and was within walking distance Farve's restaurant and other fun places. I believe there was a shuttle over to the start but I rode with some friends over to the start. The course itself is pretty flat- there are a couple of small inclines if I remember correctly. One thing I do remember is when you cross the river at mile 20 and head back in to town that next 5.5 miles is a very gently slope and if the wind is blowing as it was the year I ran it that can take a little extra effort but it's not bad. The Packers were holding spring camp while I was there so I was able to go watch some that which added to the whole experience.
                            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                              I am doing the HM. This will be my first HM and I can't think of a better place to do it. HUGE GB fan. I am from WI so that makes it even more special. Good luck everyone! Sarah
                              ~~Sarah~~
                                I am running it this year!!! It will be my first marathon. I am really looking foward to the run. Though it has been really hard to train with the snow and the cold. Right now i am just working on my base miles. I dont know what i am going to do when i need to start doing speed work.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10