Newbie Running (help with shoes and knee injury) (Read 107 times)

AutumnMay

Hello there! My name's Autumn and I am a 24 year old women who's just getting into running. I'm currently a bit over weight (BMI of 34).

I have a few questions. I run flat footed, is there something I can do to train myself to run with a better technique? Or shoes that will encourage better running?

I have a previous knee injury from high school. I strained my ACL and meniscus pretty good and didn't really take care of it the way I should have. I was young and stupid! What are some precautions I can take to not strain these tendons/ligaments? Some stretches or exercises to help? Or even a shoe that can help me out?

I live in a very rural area. Most of my running will probably be done on the roads. Orchards are just ankle breakers around my area or I would run on the grass and softer surfaces.

With shoes, since I'm just starting out, I don't want to go spending a crazy amount of money, especially if I don't stick to it as much as I plan. What can I expect to pay for decent running shoes? I'd like to stay under $115, even better under $80. I know the shoes can make the difference and I'm willing to pay a bit, but I know my friend spend $180+ on shoes in college for recreation running and that's not in my budget right now.

The closest running store is an hour drive from my house. I'll go there in a couple weeks but I want to see if anyone on here can give me a little information in the mean time!

I can't afford a physical therapist for my knee right now so thats out of the question.

Thanks for any information!

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Hi and welcome. It's kinda hard for me to give you much concrete advice, but here goes.

First, don't worry too much about shoes. Look around online for some neutral shoes.  I don't know much about issues that flat footed people have, so maybe someone else can help out here? When I'm in the U.S., I like to buy from local stores to support a person as opposed to a corporation. But if you're just starting, and you need to be thrifty, you'll definitely find cheaper ones online . Look for something a year or so old and it should be cheap.

As to your knee, does it hurt now? If it does, I'd be a little leery of starting to run without getting it checked out. I completely understand the money issue. That said, if it is hurting, you need to be very careful that you don't run yourself right into a hospital because you can't walk. If you're just trying to get healthy, there are lots of other ways to get healthy. Look up Nerd Fitness, it's a great place to get started, and where the bodyweight routine I linked to later is from.

Start with a Couch to 5k program if your knee is not actually hurting you now. That will definitely be the way to get your body used to the rigors of running. Technique will come as you run, so don't overthink things when you're just starting.

As to strengthening your legs, look into bodyweight stuff. It's free and can be done at home. Here's a routine that got me into strength training and can be started right away.

And don't listen to me if you think I'm off. There are lots of more experienced people here who can give you better advice. Good luck.

running metalhead

Hi Welcome,

As Harold already said: Search for neutral shoes and just try those that feel better. This is not just some standard advice: Our feet have as many nervous terminations as our hands so that what we interpret as "feeling good" is actually feedback from a ton of these. Plus, if it feels OK it's something else you won't have to bother later on the road. Cushion, drop, etc, is up to you.

If you have access to a gym or your own treadmill or even an elliptical you could use it to get your legs used to the movement before hitting the outdoors.

A good advice if you can find some soft place (grass for instance) is to run a few minutes barefoot. Just some 10 yards or so, gently and slow in one direction and back. This teaches you everything you need to know on how to place your feet and how to land properly on your mid-foot. This way you will use your feet's anatomy to absorb the impact and protect your knees.

Running on dirt roads and not to technical trails is normally better for your knees than the road, on the other hand the small changes in the footing may get you out of balance.

• Run slowly, if you have to breath hard you are running to fast. If you can talk, that's the correct pace.
        • Don't look at your feet, never. Look in front of you
        • Don't cross your arms over your chest, how you use them is up to you but swing them across your chest.
        • Don't do static stretching (the ones were you hold a stretch for 30 or more seconds), dynamic ones are OK and help you warm up at the same price

Well, that's pretty much all, the rest is just practice Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

runmichigan

I am going to go against the advice provided by the other two people who have responded.  You really needed to be fitted by your "local" running store.  Assuming that a neutral shoe will work for you is a bad idea.  This does mean the first pair of real running shoes might be a bit more expensive - though there are several models available in the $100 - $130 range.  While you may think your running style is a certain way, once they view you walking and running, they might find that you style is different.

I would encourage you to stay with your local running store in the future, but if cash is an issue there are online stores that can help you save some money.  And some local running stores will match the online prices!

chaplanger

Home from Iraq 2005

Runmichigan is right on point. You will save money in the long run by traveling to that distant running store and getting fitted for the right shoes now. You may very well save on medical issues and you will certainly save on buying the wrong shoes and the wrong shoes and the wrong shoes. . . and finally giving up in frustration.

5k: -- 26:12 (12/17/2016)

10k: 58:36 (6/14/2016)

Half: 2:08:23 (7/4/2015)

Longest: 15.03 (5/31/2014)

Half Marathon Bucket List Goals: 15 of 50 states completed / 2 of 7 Continents completed.

Old, Slow, Happy

Hi, I'm an old, flat-footed runner.  I don't mind any of the advice that has been given here.  Hopefully, running storing are better at giving advice now than they were when I went there.  They gave me "motion-control" shoes, which was bad for my knees.

My first advice on shoes is to try some until you learn what feel good for you.  Look at shoes online at the runningwarehouse.com.  They do a nice job of describing shoes so that you can learn what heel/toe drop, stack height, and pronation control has to do with running shoes.  I believe that, since I have been flatfooted all my life, attempts to "correct" that or compensate for that can do harm.

But, MOST IMPORTANT, use what makes your running feel easy and enjoyable.  There is no need to change what you do, just do what feels good.

Have fun and keep us informed about how it's going.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

But, MOST IMPORTANT, use what makes your running feel easy and enjoyable.  There is no need to change what you do, just do what feels good.

Have fun and keep us informed about how it's going.

Best advice you'll get.

Chasing the bus

I've had more bad luck than good, buying shoes on-line, and worse luck wearing "cheap" shoes. I'm back to the brooks glycerines and New Balance 1280's. Also going slower, running less to run more, because NOT running at all sucks.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

I purchase shoes online.......however I have been running for years and know what I need in a running shoe.  I would check with a local running store and have them help you choose a shoes.  Our local shoe store has you run barefoot on a treadmill while videotaping your feet.  They slow it down and show you your stride and foot impact and give suggestions based on that as well as the shape and arch of your foot.  Spending a bit more on one pair of the right shoe is cheaper than a hit or miss with several wrong shoes.  As for common running injuries, I have a book that I refer to, Runner's World The Runner's Body.  That tells you the proper treatment and timelines for allowing your body to heal.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I'd go to the local running store.  There's no guarantee that they'll fit you right for a shoe, because the methods they have of measuring aren't perfect.  I measure as having a high arch, but if you look at my foot, it looks like a low, flexible foot, which is what I have.  (I overpronate badly, but only at speed.) So I measure as neutral, but with trial and error I've found I need a stability shoe because they have firmer soles, and to be honest motion control probably wouldn't hurt.  Take the initial pressure pad or wet foot test with a grain of salt.

So, the store isn't a panacea.  But what they do have is a wide range of shoes -- try on at least 5 or 6 pairs, different styles, etc. -- and salespeople who care about running and will have suggestions.  Be prepared to jog on a treadmill if you can (I always forget to wear a sports bra), and you're looking for a shoe that basically disappears on your foot. No pain, no twisting, no lumps or pressure spots.   By that shoe, and then when you have to replace it, scout online (typically you can get 25%-40% off if you're okay with last season's colors.)

The other advice I can give is to start slowly.  Couch to 5K programs are good (I like the Zombies, Run app), but also add in some strength and mobility training.  (Google MYRTL routine.)  This will help with injury prevention, IME, far more than shoes.

runmichigan

What local running store are you considering going to?  Some of us might be able to advise you about the quality of the store.  Most local running stores are reputable and their sales people will try their best to find you a shoe that will fit your needs.  However, since running shoe fitting often is more art than science, those with less experience may not get it right the first time.  As someone else suggested, be prepared to try on anywhere from 5 to 10 different shoes in order to find the one that feels the best.

Linda

I would suggest getting shoes from a place that has a good exchange policy.  The most important thing about a shoe is that it is comfortable from the moment you put it on.  Running shoes don't get more comfortable as you wear them.  Anything you don't like about them will only get worse the longer they are on your feet.  That brings me to the second point.  A shoe might feel great at first, but suck after a mile or two, or five or ten.  You don't want to be stuck with shoes that you will never wear.  I promise you that if a shoe gives you blisters, you will eventually chuck it no matter how much money you paid.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47