Higher risk of injury after illness? (Read 431 times)

Bugs

At first I thought that the "extra rest time" would put you in better shape. When I look at my logs all my injuries have come right after taking sick time. Are you at a higher risk of injury after returning from a bad cold or sore throat? If this is true what would be a good % of miles to come back at it? Or perhaps I got sick because I was overtraining, and the injuries were from overtraining. Opinions?

Bugs

Mr R

Injuries happen because you've stressed your body beyond its ability to adapt. You can get injured because your volume, intensity, and frequency of exercise are increasing too rapidly, or you can get injured because life factors reduce your ability to adapt to training stress. I got injured this winter while training at 85% of my fall volume, with lower intensity. However, I was also working much more, and I was only getting a 5-6 hours of sleep per night. Some of my training buddies were making breakthroughs, so I tried to hang on by really hammering the workouts that I was able to make. The workouts kept feeling harder and harder, even though I wasn't getting any faster. I was exhausted during the day, walking incredibly slowly everywhere. Finally, something had to give. I was silly, and I kept telling myself that I should feel great, because I'm not training "that hard."

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Hey Bugs--great name. An old saying : if we continue to do things the same way and expect different results--that is a basic definition of insanity. If you have discovered this pattern--prudent thinking would be to probably come back slower. If your running becomes more being healthy than accomplishing mileage/time goals--illness/injuries usually subside. Remember--this is our play. Nice smile. Nick
          At first I thought that the "extra rest time" would put you in better shape. When I look at my logs all my injuries have come right after taking sick time. Are you at a higher risk of injury after returning from a bad cold or sore throat? If this is true what would be a good % of miles to come back at it? Or perhaps I got sick because I was overtraining, and the injuries were from overtraining. Opinions?
          It's good that you keep logs and go back and review them as you have. I think you are asking yourself the right questions and if you keep paying attention you will find the answers you are looking for. For whatever reason you got sick it always makes sense not to rush things as you resume training. I have always found that I'm more susceptible to pulling something or picking up some other little injury when I've missed a few days. It doesn't matter if the time off was because I got sick or some other reason. After a week or so of easy running there is less chance of getting hurt--at least that's been my experience.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Bugs

MrRedfern, I think I done similiar things. It's hard because the running usually makes you feel refreshed. I know my next marathon I will hire a housekeeper and not be afraid to just take an extra day off of work to put my feet up. Nick, Thanks. Jim, I've been entering all my different logs into runningahead. It's weird how you can have a run 2+ years ago but you remember it so well. I'm seeing a new doc for tendonities. He says that the injury affects your health in general too. Guessing it's all related. I'm trying to work on diet and drinking extra water. Man it is hard to take good care of yourself.

Bugs