The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dude, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the teaser trailer for Walking Dead last night (that and, haven't I seen this EXACT premise in 28 days later!!!!!).

There have been some criticisms of that hospital waking scene, but the comic was apparently being written at the same time that 28 Days Later was in production, so it's purely coincidental.  I guess in that situation SOMEBODY is likely to wake in the hospital.  Actually, my biggest beef with those hospital waking scenes (I had this same WTF reaction to 28 Days Later) is that these guys would have died of dehydration within a few days of their IV solution running out, not waken weeks later.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ultramarathon/triathlete

Actually, my biggest beef with those hospital waking scenes (I had this same WTF reaction to 28 Days Later) is that these guys would have died of dehydration within a few days of their IV solution running out, not waken weeks later.

Again, I had the same thought.  And also, how on earth did the zombies miss that one hospital room.  It's not like it was locked from the inside.  Maybe they just thought the dude in a coma was dead?  And, what, they can't still eat him?

If I woke up in a hospital and tried to call the nurse and no one came, I think I'd be like "damn, I KNEW I should have picked the better health insurance option last time open enrollment came around."  It would be a while before I thought to get up, pull the IVs out of my arm (gross) and start strolling around.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Again, I had the same thought.  And also, how on earth did the zombies miss that one hospital room.  It's not like it was locked from the inside.  Maybe they just thought the dude in a coma was dead?  And, what, they can't still eat him?

I wondered about that, too.  I thought maybe his door was somehow locked from the inside at the last minute by a thoughtful nurse/employee...that seems the only scenario that makes sense, given the father/son pair who have had to board their door up to keep mama-zombie out.  These zombies will eat horse, so I don't think they'd have left Sheriff Rick alone if they could have gotten to him--dead or otherwise.

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

If it was me and I saw someone that looked even remotely dead, I'd turn tail and run like hell.  And I'd be thinking "WTF, real zombies?!"   I'd probably head home to grab the Zombie Survival Guide my wife bought me last year Wink

I don't know how to plan my retirement, run a decent race, or fix a lawnmower, but if we ever really have a zombie attack/outbreak, etc, I'm totally prepared. Bring 'em on.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

jeffdonahue

Loved it the other night - have it set to record the rest of the series on my DVR now.

Here's a question that I was thinking about though - what kind of zombies are they?  By that I mean are they the fast moving kind like in "I am Legend" and "28 days later" where they can run and stuff.  Or are they the slow moving kind like in the older "Night of the Living Dead."

For most of the show I though they were the second slower moving kind, but when he was in Atlanta they caught up to him pretty fast - especially considering he was on a horse.

jeffdonahue

Plus, I thought it was just PERFECT to have it premiere on Halloween - what a great show to end the night of Trick or Treating with.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Loved it the other night - have it set to record the rest of the series on my DVR now.

Here's a question that I was thinking about though - what kind of zombies are they?  By that I mean are they the fast moving kind like in "I am Legend" and "28 days later" where they can run and stuff.  Or are they the slow moving kind like in the older "Night of the Living Dead."

For most of the show I though they were the second slower moving kind, but when he was in Atlanta they caught up to him pretty fast - especially considering he was on a horse.

I have a feeling that will be addressed at some point.  I can't imagine that the 2 different modes of "transportation" was mere accident.  Do zombies evolve, or were there 2 different types of infection?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know how to plan my retirement, run a decent race, or fix a lawnmower, but if we ever really have a zombie attack/outbreak, etc, I'm totally prepared. Bring 'em on.

Heh, we named our new tandem bike Rule #2: Double-Tap and can mount it with cyclocross wheels to go on paved or dirt roads.  In the event of zombie apocalypse DH would be on the front with DS riding stoker and manning the weapons.  I'm SOL until I get my own 'cross bike, since my road bike limits me to pavement...which is likely to be clogged with cars, right?  Obviously a horse will not work, either. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Actually, my biggest beef with those hospital waking scenes (I had this same WTF reaction to 28 Days Later) is that these guys would have died of dehydration within a few days of their IV solution running out, not waken weeks later.

My biggest beef is that dude didn't have neck scruff.  Yes, he had a beard, but it should of also been going Grizzly Adams on his throat, too.  I say this as I scratch 5-day-old neck scruff and wish I would have shaved this morning.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Also, after waking up from however long, I' gonna first hit the bathroom before I wander the halls looking for the missing nurse.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, after waking up from however long, I' gonna first hit the bathroom before I wander the halls looking for the missing nurse.

And, dude...where the fuck was his catheter bag.  Oh, how did I miss THAT?!  Aside from the IV business...a comatose patient would most definitely have been catheterized.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My biggest beef is that dude didn't have neck scruff.  Yes, he had a beard, but it should of also been going Grizzly Adams on his throat, too.  I say this as I scratch 5-day-old neck scruff and wish I would have shaved this morning.

Yeah...after just a week DH would be looking like a Yeti.  I thought he looked pretty clean-cut for having been uncared for for weeks.  Plus his hair looked pretty well-coiffed, not shaggy and in need of a trim, as it should have been after so long.  

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

Anyone watch week 2? Thoughts?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rick's wife and partner are a couple of damned whores.  I look forward to him feeding them to zombies (I'm guessing he doesn't find out about them until near the end of the series).

I hope the bigoted prick handcuffed on the roof meets the same fate, but it looks from sneak peeks of next week like Rick goes back to rescue the waste of skin's ass.

I predict Rick and Andrea become an item (and I love that Laurie Holden is on the show...she was such an important character on The X-Files.  It took me a bit to figure out where I knew her from...good actress to be able to blend into different roles like that).

I'm really glad that I never read the comic.  I like that all of this is new to me.  I have read that it doesn't religiously follow the comic series, but most people say that this is a good thing where it has deviated.

~ Sarah Kay

I thought it was the most disgusting thing I've seen on television since I can't remember when.  And yes I'm completely in and can't wait until next week's episode.

Finding out the guy was an organ donor made it okay.  I guess.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs