The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DH and I were wondering what sorts of things the foley artist did to make those awesome sound-effects!  I'm thinking some watermelons were involved.  Maybe some Jell-O.  Breaking dry branches.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm falling behind here, but I think someone was talking the dead rising over on the Ryan Hall thread.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm falling behind here, but I think someone was talking the dead rising over on the Ryan Hall thread.

Evil

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

Tomato/tomaato.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Menace to Sobriety

Rick's wife and partner are a couple of damned whores.  I look forward to him feeding them to zombies (I'm guessing he doesn't find out about them until near the end of the series).

I hope the bigoted prick handcuffed on the roof meets the same fate, but it looks from sneak peeks of next week like Rick goes back to rescue the waste of skin's ass.

I predict Rick and Andrea become an item (and I love that Laurie Holden is on the show...she was such an important character on The X-Files.  It took me a bit to figure out where I knew her from...good actress to be able to blend into different roles like that).

I'm really glad that I never read the comic.  I like that all of this is new to me.  I have read that it doesn't religiously follow the comic series, but most people say that this is a good thing where it has deviated.

There was a little forshadowing in the first week. Rick and partner were in the car and Rick was lamenting about his wife being distant, maybe the hook up was going on before the outbreak.  It'll be interesting to see if they think he's dead, but a more likely twist would be that the partner let the wife think he's dead without really knowing. I was a little disappointed in the reacist dude. I hate when writers make the bad guys really  bad, or the good guys really good. I prefer some redeeming qualities in the bad guys, or flaws in the good guys. When they go too black/white with characters, sometimes its a sign of some uncreative writing.

Overall, I liked it. Loved the zombie mutilation.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There was a little forshadowing in the first week. Rick and partner were in the car and Rick was lamenting about his wife being distant, maybe the hook up was going on before the outbreak.  It'll be interesting to see if they think he's dead, but a more likely twist would be that the partner let the wife think he's dead without really knowing. I was a little disappointed in the reacist dude. I hate when writers make the bad guys really  bad, or the good guys really good. I prefer some redeeming qualities in the bad guys, or flaws in the good guys. When they go too black/white with characters, sometimes its a sign of some uncreative writing.

Overall, I liked it. Loved the zombie mutilation.

+1 on all of that.  I agree, the bad guy was way over-the-top.  Looks like his brother may be a bit less caustic.

That's an interesting theory that Shane may have been less than honest with Rick's wife.  I had read another review that suggested their affair began pre-zombies.  I don't know, though.  Does she take that pendant off every time they do the nasty?  I'm not sure why she even wears it...she doesn't seem like she's really in mourning.

~ Sarah Kay

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes on the DVR last night.  Loving it so far.

Thankfully it is On Demand. I've seen both episodes.

Good.  But I'm starting to have the zombie nightmares or thoughts right before going to bed or considerations of the scenario and the people with babies and toddlers out there. I'm the type of person that scares very easily but still likes the genre.  I don't know what I have against myself.

1.  It does seem like the affair might have existed prezombie.  Though it seems like in every zombie movie people are hooking up left and right.

2.  He's driving into Atlanta.  It's backed up the other way with people who had been trying to flee the city.  He still thinks that's the safe way to go?

2a.  Georgia does not go, country hickville, too Downtown!  It is a huge sprawling mess around Atlanta. Not really how show makes it look.

2b.  Some of those people in the cars, I'm assuming, turned into zombies. because jerks would get scratched and still try to escape, then back up, etc....  They make it seem like zombies kinda stay around where they are turned for a while.  Wonder where all of them are.

3.  I am not sure how much scavenging in a big city I would do.  Country and small towns seem like the way to go.  How long would it be until they ran out of food there? 

3a. It does seem interesting that they have some of the zombies laying completely still when there is no food around (soldier) - maybe state that allows them to go on much longer without complete decomposition?

4.  It seems like the thought process of a zombie is about that of a year old child- can kind of figure out turning a doorknob, but not too well, can pick up things, can climb but might take a second to figure it out.  

5.  I was reading somewhere that all dead come back in this universe (from the comic).  I don't like that.  I have always preferred the "infected." story lines.   If all the dead without their head being knocked in come back and that hits in the show, that will annoy me. 

5b - I was surprised not to see more protection on the people and checking for small scratches when they were hacking up Organ Donor.

6.  How many zombies did Rick go through without any one of them taking a bite or  scratching him when the horse fell?  Chased him but none said, Yum! He's right here!

7.  There is no way I would be going back for racist guy.  Not a chance.  And I would have shot him in the head after I dropped the key and couldn't save him- He was a prick and wouldn't have felt need to risk all life to save him... but I wouldn't leave him there to either starve or be zombie chow either.  And sometimes lies are better after that point, "Sorry Mr. Guy's Brother, he is dead.  Yes.  He was bitten and we had to help him not become like that." 

8.  Any guns with silencers they managed to pick up anywhere?  And scopes? 

Menace to Sobriety

Thankfully it is On Demand. I've seen both episodes.

2a.  Georgia does not go, country hickville, too Downtown!  It is a huge sprawling mess around Atlanta. Not really how show makes it look.

3.  I am not sure how much scavenging in a big city I would do.  Country and small towns seem like the way to go.  How long would it be until they ran out of food there? 

4.  It seems like the thought process of a zombie is about that of a year old child- can kind of figure out turning a doorknob, but not too well, can pick up things, can climb but might take a second to figure it out.  

5b - I was surprised not to see more protection on the people and checking for small scratches when they were hacking up Organ Donor.

6.  How many zombies did Rick go through without any one of them taking a bite or  scratching him when the horse fell?  Chased him but none said, Yum! He's right here!

7.  There is no way I would be going back for racist guy.  Not a chance.  And I would have shot him in the head after I dropped the key and couldn't save him- He was a prick and wouldn't have felt need to risk all life to save him... but I wouldn't leave him there to either starve or be zombie chow either.  And sometimes lies are better after that point, "Sorry Mr. Guy's Brother, he is dead.  Yes.  He was bitten and we had to help him not become like that." 

8.  Any guns with silencers they managed to pick up anywhere?  And scopes? 

Actually, you don't have to get too far out of Atlanta to get to Hicksville, depending on which direction. It wasn't clear just how far in the show, but you go 10-15 miles South on 85, you're kind of out there. Between the perimeter and the SC line is pretty open, too.

I think they went to the city on the rumor of some refugee center or possibly the CDC. A large city does seem like a bad place, under the circumstances. There would be a large concentration of supplies, but also a large concentration of walkers, as well as lots ambush points.

I'd say the zombies here have the learning capability of a chimp, and the motor function of Lurch.

Agreed. I would have used much more protection.

1st rule of made for TV series: Don't kill off the protagonist in the first episode.

2nd rule of made for TV series: Don't kill off the bad guy in the first episode. (If it were me, I would have given a pistol, unloaded, then thrown him one shell, to give me time to get away. I'd leave it up to him on how to use it.)

I think the white supremacist did have a scope on his rifile. Not sure about the others. I would have gone with one of those street sweeper type/riot gun shotguns with 00 buckshot. Much better at close range, and anything even close takes off the whole head. No need for precision. Silencers are pretty hard to come by, even in a gun friendly state like GA. You can make your own, though, out of a plastic milk container.

Now I have to go to a dept meeting, with creatures far more frightening, lower learning function, and less motor skills than walkers: engineers.

You Are Beautiful.

DH and I were wondering what sorts of things the foley artist did to make those awesome sound-effects!  I'm thinking some watermelons were involved.  Maybe some Jell-O.  Breaking dry branches.

I think about the hair/makeup budget each episode. And how they must logically film scenes to get the most mileage out of bedraggled zombies.

One of the zombies looked really fake and stupid, but he only had 1 second (less than, probably) of airtime so it was probably a "win some, lose some" budget thing.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                      Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now I have to go to a dept meeting, with creatures far more frightening, lower learning function, and less motor skills than walkers: engineers.

I think the zombies have better fashion sense, too (says the wife of a mechanical engineer). Wink

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think about the hair/makeup budget each episode. And how they must logically film scenes to get the most mileage out of bedraggled zombies.

One of the zombies looked really fake and stupid, but he only had 1 second (less than, probably) of airtime so it was probably a "win some, lose some" budget thing.

Yeah, this show definitely does not have a small budget.  CGI and make-up alone are beaucoup bucks.

~ Sarah Kay

Actually, you don't have to get too far out of Atlanta to get to Hicksville, depending on which direction. It wasn't clear just how far in the show, but you go 10-15 miles South on 85, you're kind of out there. Between the perimeter and the SC line is pretty open, too.

I assume coming down from Kentucky he would be hitting 75S... built up quite far north of the perimeter (home sweet home!)  - though they did say 85. Which seems weird, but even still, built up lots north of the perimeter.

But even between the perimeter and Downtown is quite a large area. 

Not that I'm complaining, really.  It is really cool to see my hometown zombified.  Smile

Menace to Sobriety

I assume coming down from Kentucky he would be hitting 75S... built up quite far north of the perimeter (home sweet home!)  - though they did say 85. Which seems weird, but even still, built up lots north of the perimeter.

But even between the perimeter and Downtown is quite a large area. 

Not that I'm complaining, really.  It is really cool to see my hometown zombified.  Smile

I could be off by a few miles. Whenever I go through ATL, I'm either running 85-90(just to keep up), and I'm through in less than 30 minutes, or the whole thing is a parking lot and it takes a couple hours. Its hard to get a good perception as to actual  mileage.

There have been some criticisms of that hospital waking scene, but the comic was apparently being written at the same time that 28 Days Later was in production, so it's purely coincidental.  I guess in that situation SOMEBODY is likely to wake in the hospital.  Actually, my biggest beef with those hospital waking scenes (I had this same WTF reaction to 28 Days Later) is that these guys would have died of dehydration within a few days of their IV solution running out, not waken weeks later.

The hospital waking scene is taken directly from John Wyndham's novel The Day of the Triffids - a novel written in 1951 and filmed originally (and largely rather badly) in 1962. If The Walking Dead was written at the same time as 28 Days Later it is likely they were both influenced by this fairly classic scene. The hospital waking scene is actually most memorable in the radio version. Genuinely creepy.

According to Boyle, it was the opening sequence of The Day of the Triffids, in which a man wakes up in hospital to discover that a meteor shower has blinded his fellow countrymen, which first inspired Alex Garland to write 28 Days Later. 

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.