Training vs Trail shoes (Read 507 times)

Perhaps a simple, intuitive question, but one I will ask nevertheless. Training shoes come in assorted flavors, neutral, cushion, stability, and various combination's. I have been doing a number of trail races, and I also do most of my runs on grass/dirt/mud park trails so have been looking at buying some trail shoes. When I look at trail shoes they do not list any of these various types... .just "trail", plain and simple. Is this because the uneven surface of trails make any type of compensation unnecessary, or even detrimental? ie adding an uneven surface to a stability shoe totally over corrects the foot to where is it worse than no correction? Or must one use custom insoles (orthotics) to add compensation, if necessary?

I recommend reading over this article I wrote about a trail clinic that I attended: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/08/22/trail-running-101-at-peak-performance.html There's a power point presentation linked in there that gets a little into what you are asking. Basically, there are a few different types of trail shoes. There are the ultra-stability version that weigh as much as a brick and stabilize your ankles, and there are the minimal shoes that just protect your feet and give you good grip on the ground. There are also some shoes with middle ground. I really like the second option better, and I went with Inov-8 trail running shoes when I got mine.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks for the info and link. Read it, interesting may have to inquire further at the local shop.