Stitches. (Read 887 times)

jamesatkinson

I only ever get them running downhill. Actually I get them just about every time I run downhill. Living as I do in eastern Sydney I have to run very hilly courses, and it's gotten to the point now where I actually prefer the ups to the downs. I'm concerned because in a race situation, a downhill section is where I want to pick up the pace, but at the moment I have to really hold myself back. Is this normal, or am I what the scientific community would term 'a freak'.
      First, everyone here is a freak. Wink Second, every freak here can only hypothesize on side stictches. I get them like clockwork during every run, usually within the first couple miles. For me, stitches result from my breathing not being in synch with my cadence which takes a little while for me to do - that's why I get them in the first couple miles. Once I'm warmed up and find my rythym, they don't come back. It could be that your breathing gets out of sync when you start going down hill. Or maybe you tense up a bit on the downhills. Try to belly-breathe - tummy should expand when you inhale and exhale - I find that helps. And make sure you run relaxed. I've even heard that you should exhale when your left foot strikes. Sounds iffy to me but I read that somewhere. belly breathing and relaxing are the things that work for me. And not drinking too much - that'll cause gastro distress and side stitches in me every time. Good luck.

maybe you are running to fast? I rarely get stiches but when I get them it is when I have to breath hard or I am on the cusp on not gettting enough air in... slow down a bit... OR... pay attention to when you start your in breath and if you find it is alway on the same foot strike switch it... so it is on the other foot strike... or set up an odd breathing rythm... like 3/2 so that the in breath takes 3 foot strikes and the out 2... that way the in breath alternates sides... that usually helps me... but it has been some time since I have gotten stiches... One thing I did though was when I did get them I slow down... control my breathing so it was more fluid and less violent... GL
          I used to get them more often. I don't know about the issue with downhill running, so I'll just speak in general. I have a trick that consistently works for me to get rid of them. I breathe so that I feel my rib cage expanding across my lower back. I think about this, and the stitch is gone right away. If you try this, let me know whether it works for you. It is more or less the same as belly breathing, but my experience as a woodwind player and teacher tells me that people don't really know how to belly breathe, so often focusing on the ribcage in the back will trigger the right response.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I rarely ever get side stitches and the only time I do ever notice them is if I'm going faster than I should be going. Not sure what's going on with the 'downhill' part of your problem; however, the downhill side of things does put a lot of extra stress on your body so perhaps your breathing gets a bit wonky due to this? I also tend to speed up when going downhill... and since side stiches only happen to me when I'm going too fast, maybe you need to adjust your downhill pace? Just some thoughts... good luck!!!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I've even heard that you should exhale when your left foot strikes. Sounds iffy to me but I read that somewhere.
              It's not really that iffy, and it always works for me. The theory behind this is that side stitches are primarily caused by the pulling of the liver on the diaphragm. Since the liver is on your right side, you have maximal pull when your left leg is stretching forward. Exhaling pulls your diaphragm up, counteracting the pull, and easing the pressure on the ligaments. (The reverse is true if you have a left-sided side-stitch) I often find when they're really bad that if I stick my right hand into my side to manually support my liver, that works fine as well, though it makes it a little uncomfortable to breathe. But yeah, most of the time, a couple big, deep belly breaths make it go away. I've actually had really awful bilateral ones that, instead of getting better as I ran, always got worse, to the point where it would hurt even to wash dishes, or walk down the street. When I tried to run I ended up doubled over within a mile. My physical therapist claimed these were actually caused by some knotting in my intercostal muscles. I have no idea if that was true or not (I've never heard of anyone else with a similar issue), but showed me how to massage them, and they went away like magic.

Double IPA Please!

The last 3 days I have consistently gotten stitches Roll eyes This is rare for me. What works for me is to do real hard exhales with my lips pursed. Usually 3 or 4 of those and I'm good to go.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I will deposit my 2 cents worth of advice. Take a deep inhale through the nose and exhale hard through the mouth. Left or right foot striking the ground first is your choice. Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Jouke

Since there are still no clear medical explenations for stitches, it's hard to give good advice. But in this case most likely the heavy shocks when going downhill hustle up your intestines and stomach, leading to poor bloodtransport in that area. My advice would be to prevent the shocking. Maybe take smaller steps. If you get the technique right you may run more lightfooted (as we say in the netherlands), without losing pace.
                    Jouke

Also, be aware of what you have eaten before your run. It might be part of the problem. Another, maybe unlikely, remedy is to try some Coke before the run, in case of some gas in your intestines.