Treadmill deck condition and hesitation (Read 2326 times)

Feeling the growl again

My Sole treadmill started hesitating while I was running (dangerous), and finally on a hot day it shut down.  I noticed the belt was VERY hot, and after reading some decided it probably needed to be lubed (1800 miles on it).

So I got the lube in the mail last night and loosened the belt to lube it today.  The phenolic deck seems to have some stress cracks in it, all over the area where I run.  Some have little ridges tall enough that I can feel them through the belt when I walk on it without shoes (did that to spread the lube per instructions).  There is a burn mark all around the belt right in the center, which passes over the worst area of the cracking.

I'd post pics but I'd have to break it down again.  The lubing did not help, and the belt got pretty warm even with a short (.2 mile) run on it to test it out.

I've never actually felt a treadmill belt after running before, it is not supposed to get hot enough to be uncomfortable on the skin, is it?  It still hesitates as bad as ever, so I'm thinking I need to try a new drive belt.  Any advice on the deck is appreciated -- I assume any cracking is a bad sign and I should see about getting it replaced while it is still under warranty.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I have a Sole too. My wife says that when she comes down into the basement after I've been running a while, she can smell the heat (weird concept, but I know what she means). I guess that's better than smelling me...

On a few occasions after a longish run on the TM, I've felt the belt and it was quite warm to the touch. I wouldn't say it's hot though. I've lubed mine  twice already and it doesn't have that many miles on it.  I don't have a problem, yet, with the belt slipping (my old one did that). 

I do find the key sensor over-sensitive to the point if I even touch it, the thing will shut down. 

Since it's still under warranty, I'd have  them come out and check it out. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, you should call them!  THe belt on our treadmill (different brand) started slipping, and DH couldn't get it to stop for more than another 30 minutes of runnin..  I called the company, and they came out within a day or so to fix it.  I'm glad we purchased the extended warranty since the TM gets a lot of use in our family. It's working fine now.  I hope yours gets fixed quickly!

Feeling the growl again

I hope yours gets fixed quickly!

Thanks, so do I.  Core training time for my fall marathon and it's significantly cutting into my potential running time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

My Sole treadmill started hesitating while I was running (dangerous), and finally on a hot day it shut down.  I noticed the belt was VERY hot, and after reading some decided it probably needed to be lubed (1800 miles on it).

So I got the lube in the mail last night and loosened the belt to lube it today.  The phenolic deck seems to have some stress cracks in it, all over the area where I run.  Some have little ridges tall enough that I can feel them through the belt when I walk on it without shoes (did that to spread the lube per instructions).  There is a burn mark all around the belt right in the center, which passes over the worst area of the cracking.

I'd post pics but I'd have to break it down again.  The lubing did not help, and the belt got pretty warm even with a short (.2 mile) run on it to test it out.

I've never actually felt a treadmill belt after running before, it is not supposed to get hot enough to be uncomfortable on the skin, is it?  It still hesitates as bad as ever, so I'm thinking I need to try a new drive belt.  Any advice on the deck is appreciated -- I assume any cracking is a bad sign and I should see about getting it replaced while it is still under warranty.

My Sole F85 has the same problem -- stress cracks and belt heating.  There is a longitudinal crack a couple feet long on the left side.  It draws 12 amps at 8 mph, trips the breaker if I try to do 12 mph strides -- and I've lubed it a few times already.  Purchased December 2009 and it has 1400 miles on it.  Must be a design defect.  I just thought it happened because I am a fat bastard.  I'll call mine in and we can compare service notes.

Feeling the growl again

My Sole F85 has the same problem -- stress cracks and belt heating.  There is a longitudinal crack a couple feet long on the left side.  It draws 12 amps at 8 mph, trips the breaker if I try to do 12 mph strides -- and I've lubed it a few times already.  Purchased December 2009 and it has 1400 miles on it.  Must be a design defect.  I just thought it happened because I am a fat bastard.  I'll call mine in and we can compare service notes.

Thanks.  I'm going to try and call today, let's do compare notes.

henryc

I'm just wondering but does the Sole have an automatic shut off time, like say after 60 minutes, specifically the F80?  Sorry for the tangent but I didn't feel like starting a new thread. 

Menace to Sobriety

When you had the belt loose, did you check all your idlers to see if they were turning freely? Sounds like there might be a roll locked down or bearing dragging somewhere. This would explain the heat and hesistation. When you said it shut down altogether, are you saying the motor shut off or the belt locked down while running. If it was the latter, did it go again when you stepped off?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

ymmv

THe belt on our treadmill (different brand) started slipping, and DH couldn't get it to stop for more than another 30 minutes of runnin..

I read this over and over, and I keep picturing some poor guy trapped on a treadmill that won't stop. HEEEELLLLLLP MEEEEEE!

Menace to Sobriety

I read this over and over, and I keep picturing some poor guy trapped on a treadmill that won't stop. HEEEELLLLLLP MEEEEEE!

Jane, stop this crazy thing!!!

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Outside Lane

I read this one and thought about this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

See how they run...

Back to the original topic.

This has me concerned. I wonder if it's just a matter of time that my Sole TM has the same problem. I've already snapped the bottom bolt of the incline motor while running at 15% incline.    These TMs were suppose to be pretty good and used in either the Hyatt or Hilton hotels. Perhaps the typical hotel runner doesn't run as far nor as fast. 

Keep us posted Spaniel.

For the OP

My treadmill belt slipped from time to time, could be too stretched out and that had something to do with the cracks in it (though the cracks I had were pretty bad).  I guess running on an imperfect surface - it was slightly bowed - will cause the belt to stretch.

My TM is not heavy duty and I need a more heavy duty one at 195 pounds.  I can no longer do incline, that bar snapped.  I can't go more than  9 MPH or it slips.  But it works for regular runs between 7-8 MPH just fine.  It has over 2000 miles on it so the next time it breaks I'm just getting another one.  Hoping it gets another 2-3 weeks then it will be cool enough that most of my runs will be outside again.

Spaniel,

Any update on the TM? 

Also, do you find the safety key is ultra sensitive? I just barely tough it (not remove, just lightly bump or touch) and the TM will reset. 

I'm tempted to call them out and ask if they think that is normal.

Tom

Feeling the growl again

When you had the belt loose, did you check all your idlers to see if they were turning freely? Sounds like there might be a roll locked down or bearing dragging somewhere. This would explain the heat and hesistation. When you said it shut down altogether, are you saying the motor shut off or the belt locked down while running. If it was the latter, did it go again when you stepped off?

Everything turns fine, it just overheated and tripped the breaker on the front of the treadmill.  The hesitation is intermittent and happens when my foot impacts the surface, in all the reading I did this could mean either need for lube or loose drive belt.  Once I saw that the deck had multiple cracks and lubing it did not help, and neither did adjusting the belt tension, I stopped using it.  Little use messing with it as I will only continue to damage the belt (which may already be ruined in the middle).

No update yet unfortunately.  Finally tracked down the credit card bill with the treadmill on it to get the purchase date, now just need to find time during the work day to call back in and find out what can be done about it.

No, my safety key is not loose.  It is not normal for it to fall off easily, mine has never fallen out at all even when accidentally snagging the cord lightly.

The ones sold to the public do not have an auto shutoff after a certain time.